What's up with the matte trend?

MCM0313

What's up with metallic colors being dull the past few years, especially in football?

Also, what's up with regular colors (purple, black, yellow, blue) being given matte finishes in football helmets?

Are the two trends really one and the same?

Personally I don't much care for either.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Matte finish works in some cases, Minnesota Vikings, Texas A&M , just to name a couple, but I'd prefer it kinds of caps out where it is and doesn't spread much further. If it stays a unique small percent of teams it won't run it's course too quick.

It's better than the "sparkles" that teams started adopting, that I believe has already come to an end (at least in the NFL).

I do LOVE the matte batting helmets on the LA Dodgers.

I think the matte lends itself better for batting helmets than football.

24 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

I think the Matte finish works in some cases, Minnesota Vikings, Texas A&M , just to name a couple.

Neither Minnesota or Texas A&M wear matte for the primary helmet, they are both considered satin finish. 

24 minutes ago, MC Buffalo said:

They call it matte for all the non uni nerds who think anything that is duller than gloss is matte. It's a satin finish, if it was just matte it wouldn't reflect the light like it does which is what satin does.

33 minutes ago, dont care said:

They call it matte for all the non uni nerds who think anything that is duller than gloss is matte. It's a satin finish, if it was just matte it wouldn't reflect the light like it does which is what satin does.

Yeah what he said.

Minnesota has the same finish Seattle has on their helmets, it is satin not matte.

I'm just having a hard time imagining the Bears or Packers or Chiefs or Dolphins (any iteration 1980s-present) without gloss, and the Giants or Raiders without metallic finishes. 

As far as the "sparkles" mentioned by @MC Buffalo, does that refer at all to the Jaguars' old black-with-teal-highlights helmet, or just in general to metallic finishes?

1 hour ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Satin>metallic>gloss>matte>chrome

The further left or right you go from Gloss, the fewer teams the finish works for. 

I was just rating my preferences. 

I agree not many teams can get away with matte or chrome finishes. I think the Buccaneers' chrome facemasks look cool though. Do the helmets themselves have chrome finishes too, or metallic? For some reason I really like their current helmets---they feel very pirate-like to me, moreso than either previous version. The uniforms are a mess, but the helmets look great.

Archived