Were the Marlins at some point going to be teal and orange?

MCM0313

*MODS: Move this to "unused logos and uniforms" if you deem it necessary.*

Admittedly, this is kind of speculative, but there is some logic to it. First off, did any of you have 1993 Donruss MLB cards? Their design was to have a bar with the player's name and position running across the bottom of the card, with a faux-3D diamond-shaped box in the bottom left containing the team's logo. The bar was one team color and the box was the other. They were very accurate in this regard: the Mariners were navy and teal, the Brewers were blue and yellow, the Tigers were navy and orange, the Red Sox were red and navy, the Rockies were purple and gray, etc. Anyway, the Marlins were teal and orange, similar to the Miami Dolphins, as illustrated by this card of Jeff Conine. Neither the Rockies nor the Marlins had black as one of the colors, although other teams (such as the Pirates) did, so it wasn't an issue of being unable to produce the 3D effect with black. The Rockies have always had silver/gray as a tertiary color, but the Marlins (pre-rebrand) never used orange. Was this an original plan that was scrapped shortly before the start of their inaugural season? Does anyone else know about this? Or was it perhaps just chosen by Donruss because of its resemblance to the nearby Dolphins, with black not yet officially a Marlins color? Or could it have been a mistake, albeit the only one that I have been able to find from that set? Just curious.

225-765Fr.jpg

27 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

The Rockies have always had silver/gray as a tertiary color, but the Marlins (pre-rebrand) never used orange.

Never as a uniform color, perhaps.  But orange has been on their logos since the very beginning.  These were both part of the initial set:

uiqyat8zrx40ircpu9begvbwe.png nrndw0ev7vb42le2dbx5i9a62.png

So it's possible Topps just thought they might use orange a bit more than they ended up doing.  Or Topps thought the brighter colors just looked better on their mockup (remember, this was right before dark colors became seen as more marketable).  

In any case, it's not like they pulled orange out of the ether.

Just now, Gothamite said:

Never as a uniform color, perhaps.  But orange has been on their logos since the very beginning.  These were both part of the initial set:

uiqyat8zrx40ircpu9begvbwe.png nrndw0ev7vb42le2dbx5i9a62.png

So it's possible Topps just thought they might use orange a bit more than they ended up doing.  Or Topps thought the brighter colors just looked better on their mockup.  In any case, it's not like they pulled orange out of the ether.

Topps never owned Donruss (Topps has owned Bowman for years though). I get what you're saying, though. Orange appears to be the second-most-prominent color in the second logo there, and they probably didn't have any photos of what the uniforms would look like.

That said, it would've been kind of cool for them to have similar branding (both nautical animals, same colors) to the NFL's team in the same city. And, of course, Pro Player Stadium had prominent orange seats.

1 minute ago, Old School Fool said:

Don't forget this alternate.

7m4zusiv01tferlljpb976pqu.png

See, that makes me think they were planning to use orange on the uniforms originally, but changed their minds fairly late in the process, probably later than they would be allowed to do today.

32 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The mothership has that logo listed as 2003-2011.  So outside the scope of this conversation.

And thanks for the Topps/Donruss correction.  I misspoke.

That logo does look more Loria-ish.  He always like the black and orange.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

From what I anecdotally recall, the merchandising period between the unveiling of the initial primary up until the unveiling of the uniforms featured a good deal of orange. I have to think that the licensees only had a logo to work off of and assume that given the team was located in miami, they used the dolphins as proxy.

32 minutes ago, guest23 said:

From what I anecdotally recall, the merchandising period between the unveiling of the initial primary up until the unveiling of the uniforms featured a good deal of orange. I have to think that the licensees only had a logo to work off of and assume that given the team was located in miami, they used the dolphins as proxy.

That's about what I was thinking.

12 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Teal and orange would have been perfect for the Marlins.

Marlins.png

Agreed. Right now I wish they'd emphasize neon blue and orange and forget about the black (and continue forgetting about the yellow that's also in their logo).

Archived