Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

I guess if you wanted to you could extend this to design as well. Anyway, what are some unusual color schemes that have worked well? I immediately think of the NBA in the 1990s, where the Nuggets (navy, copper, red), Grizzlies (teal, black, salmon---really unusual third color), Raptors (purple, red, black), Sonics (dark green, maroon, yellow), and Jazz (purple, copper, black, sky blue) all worked with unusual schemes, although the Nuggets watered it down a bit with a very conservative design. (You could also say that the Edmonton Oilers had a very similar color scheme to those Nuggets for awhile, although the Oilers' "copper" was really more like gold and navy, red, and gold is not an unusual color scheme at all.)

Alternatively, what are some that haven't worked? You could argue either way on the '90s Nuggets, I think. Obviously the Detroit Pistons' teal, maroon, yellow, and black getup watered down what had been a very strong brand. The early-aughts Bills' dark blue, red, royal blue, and "nickel" uniforms were atrocious, possibly the worst in NFL history. The Miami Dolphins have always had a unique scheme, but while they don't look awful right now, they probably do look worse than at any other time in their history. The original Buccaneers would be another that would split opinion. 

Anyway, my faves:

1. 1980s-1996 Dolphins

2. Original Grizzlies

3. Expansion Rays and D-backs (put together)

Least faves:

1. 2002-10 Bills

2. 2002-10 Bills

3. 2002-10 Bills

Dishonorable mention: '90s Pistons

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man. i was already beaten to the punch.

brown and red is my all-time favorite color scheme. i have no idea how it isn't used more often. its rare enough for anyone to use brown, and when they do, its almost always paired with yellow, or occasionally orange. warming that color scheme up a tad more with red is just about as sexy as a color scheme can look to me. throw in a little tan or metallic gold embroidery, and that's exactly how any professional sports team i ever own would look :)

on the other end of that spectrum, i've always thought the phoenix suns and purple-era toronto raptors had amazing colors.

too bad both of them seem to be distancing themselves from the glory of a full-fledged scheme.

purple/orange and purple/red both look great together.

similarly, look at this beauty.

6vPIBEA.png

now if we're talking unique color schemes that DON'T look good, i'm going to have to say the minnesota wild. as can be seen in my avatar as well, red, green, and gold just look awful together, in my humble opinion. and call me crazy, but i can't stand the old tampa bay devil rays colors either. it was just too much dark on dark, and the shade of green was so drab. blue, green, AND black, all together, is too much. pick one or two of those. not all three. i always see those colors and uniforms get so much love on here, but i've never seen a professional team look more "single a" than those uniforms. the new ones are devoid of character entirely, but the old ones were just too much.

50 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Emory%20Polley%20action%20shot.gif

JU_FB_2014-11-15-4367.jpg

Southern-U-Grambling-St-Football-1880x12

Grambling always looks sharp, whatever they choose to wear.

25 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

man. i was already beaten to the punch.

brown and red is my all-time favorite color scheme. i have no idea how it isn't used more often. its rare enough for anyone to use brown, and when they do, its almost always paired with yellow, or occasionally orange. warming that color scheme up a tad more with red is just about as sexy as a color scheme can look to me. throw in a little tan or metallic gold embroidery, and that's exactly how any professional sports team i ever own would look :)

on the other end of that spectrum, i've always thought the phoenix suns and purple-era toronto raptors had amazing colors.

too bad both of them seem to be distancing themselves from the glory of a full-fledged scheme.

purple/orange and purple/red both look great together.

similarly, look at this beauty.

6vPIBEA.png

now if we're talking unique color schemes that DON'T look good, i'm going to have to say the minnesota wild. as can be seen in my avatar as well, red, green, and gold just look awful together, in my humble opinion. and call me crazy, but i can't stand the old tampa bay devil rays colors either. it was just too much dark on dark, and the shade of green was so drab. blue, green, AND black, all together, is too much. pick one or two of those. not all three. i always see those colors and uniforms get so much love on here, but i've never seen a professional team look more "single a" than those uniforms. the new ones are devoid of character entirely, but the old ones were just too much.

I sort of agree. I definitely think the original Devil Rays looked better than their green-and-black version. That is what you mean, right?

55 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Pewter and red!

Honestly, the Bucs have never had a bad color scheme. The creamsicle was nice and original, but pewter and red is much better.

Out of curiosity, are there any other teams (any sport, any level) that do a credible job of mixing pewter with any color (red or any other)? Just the use of pewter makes the Bucs' scheme one of the most unusual out there.

Tufts University:

Brown and light blue.

http://www.lacrosseplayground.com/tufts-last-second-wardrobe-change/

(Second picture)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived