Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Griffinmarlins said:

California/Oakland Golden Seals of the NHL.

and lets just pretend this is the unpopular opinions thread, because this is honestly one of my favorite uniforms in NHL history.

i LOVE the idea of shoulder stripes on a hockey sweater.

GarySimmons.png

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

and lets just pretend this is the unpopular opinions thread, because this is honestly one of my favorite uniforms in NHL history.

i LOVE the idea of shoulder stripes on a hockey sweater.

GarySimmons.png

I know they aren't the Seals, but I hope the Sharks wear this against the Kings next season in a throwback game.

12 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The color scheme is fine, but the way they used it back then was godawful. It looks like someone stole their jerseys and they had to borrow their opponents' road jerseys for the game.

As a kid (I was around 8-12 in that era), I thought the yellow on the helmets was just washed out/faded red.  Since the jerseys were solely red and white (excluding the number outline), I assumed the school colors were just red and white.  My mistake makes a little more sense when you look at this picture, where the M looks almost orange.

515bciRZ6RL._SY355_.jpg

It wasn't until Bobby Ross arrived that they starting using more of the black and gold . . . and the gold was only one jersey stripe.

tumblr_ls1yd2Eykg1qhixboo1_1280.jpg72916311-quarterback-boomer-esiason-of-t

^^^ still one of my favorites all-time uniforms.

Notre Dame used the same jersey style during the Gerry Faust era . . . with a base blue color that was lighter than Notre Dame's tradition navy.

duerson-faust.jpg7884881.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So in terms of unusual color schemes, I'm gonna propose one here and maybe someone can come up with some visuals for it. Here goes...

A few days ago I was sitting on Miami Beach fairly early in the morning and as I looked out towards the ocean I was struck by the colors in front of me. There was the teal of the water, the tan of the sand, and the blue of both the sky and the furthest reaches on the horizon of the water. I was amazed at how gorgeous each color looked, almost like I was looking into an opener container of paint from each color. Each color it was like THAT is teal... THAT is blue... THAT is sand. If you looked up each color or each object in the dictionary what I saw in front of me was exactly the picture that should be next to it. Then it hit me, as a baseball fan since childhood. Three teams that have each made attempts at capturing color schemes of the beaches and oceans were all represented here. The teal of the Florida Marlins, the sand color of the mid-2000s San Diego Padres, and the sky blue and navy blue of the Tampa Bay Rays. (We could throw in the Seattle Mariners but truthfully I didn't think of them at that moment) Then I had a color scheme/uniform though. What if we made a new uniform combining teal, sand, and navy blue with hints of sky blue? To my knowledge that has never been done. I won't go ahead and say this is a concept for either of the three teams specifically but I'll think more in terms of the color scheme and just imagine it's an unnamed team that happens to also have a beach/ocean them to it. My first thought, based on how much of view was taken up by the ocean itself, was to go with a Marlins-like teal as the primary color and I thought of the Marlins teal batting practice jerseys of the 90's. Imagine a teal jersey with the wordmark colored in the sand color and then the outlines of the wordmark being the navy blue. Haven't thought of other white and gray jerseys yet but they'll come to me. Caps? They could be navy blue but they could also be teal with a sand colored bill, which reminded me of the ocean water and then the bill is the sand on the shore. I wanna take some time one of these days to maybe draw some of these out but I wanted to share this first because A) I know you guys will give me some feedback and B.) I figure someone might run with this idea and make their own additions to it as well. What do you think of the idea?

15 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So in terms of unusual color schemes, I'm gonna propose one here and maybe someone can come up with some visuals for it. Here goes...

A few days ago I was sitting on Miami Beach fairly early in the morning and as I looked out towards the ocean I was struck by the colors in front of me. There was the teal of the water, the tan of the sand, and the blue of both the sky and the furthest reaches on the horizon of the water. I was amazed at how gorgeous each color looked, almost like I was looking into an opener container of paint from each color. Each color it was like THAT is teal... THAT is blue... THAT is sand. If you looked up each color or each object in the dictionary what I saw in front of me was exactly the picture that should be next to it. Then it hit me, as a baseball fan since childhood. Three teams that have each made attempts at capturing color schemes of the beaches and oceans were all represented here. The teal of the Florida Marlins, the sand color of the mid-2000s San Diego Padres, and the sky blue and navy blue of the Tampa Bay Rays. (We could throw in the Seattle Mariners but truthfully I didn't think of them at that moment) Then I had a color scheme/uniform though. What if we made a new uniform combining teal, sand, and navy blue with hints of sky blue? To my knowledge that has never been done. I won't go ahead and say this is a concept for either of the three teams specifically but I'll think more in terms of the color scheme and just imagine it's an unnamed team that happens to also have a beach/ocean them to it. My first thought, based on how much of view was taken up by the ocean itself, was to go with a Marlins-like teal as the primary color and I thought of the Marlins teal batting practice jerseys of the 90's. Imagine a teal jersey with the wordmark colored in the sand color and then the outlines of the wordmark being the navy blue. Haven't thought of other white and gray jerseys yet but they'll come to me. Caps? They could be navy blue but they could also be teal with a sand colored bill, which reminded me of the ocean water and then the bill is the sand on the shore. I wanna take some time one of these days to maybe draw some of these out but I wanted to share this first because A) I know you guys will give me some feedback and B.) I figure someone might run with this idea and make their own additions to it as well. What do you think of the idea?

I love the idea, as well as your description of it. I'd also like to see some visuals.

18 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

7892528.jpg

With yellow, green, and blue on the same uniform, this is pretty unusual.

It's not letting me see the pic. Who is it? I know that the new Savannah Bananas have those three colors. Haven't seen their uniforms though.

It's Brazil soccer. I always loved that  scheme together.

Also, a long time ago I saw a benefit concert poster for Darfur, and it had a flame in navy, green, and red. I really liked it. Always wanted to see both those schemes on a pro sports team.

18 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

It's Brazil soccer. I always loved that  scheme together.

Also, a long time ago I saw a benefit concert poster for Darfur, and it had a flame in navy, green, and red. I really liked it. Always wanted to see both those schemes on a pro sports team.

On a similar note (pun intended), look up the Roland JX-3P synthesizer. It has a black body with crimson, light blue, and Kelly green accents. I really love the look of it.

I work at a Jimmy John's, and we've got some signs on the walls with pretty good color schemes in them. Here's one I'd "love to see":

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg

Crimson, Carolina blue, and a lovely cream color (which is a bit lighter in person than in this pic).

One color combo I've always thought would look good on a football uniform is orange & silver. I've seen silver paired with pretty much every color at some point except for orange. Closest I can think of Oklahoma State in recent years wearing gray sometimes. Off the top of my head I don't recall OK State ever going gray/orange/gray.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

12 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

One color combo I've always thought would look good on a football uniform is orange & silver. I've seen silver paired with pretty much every color at some point except for orange. Closest I can think of Oklahoma State in recent years wearing gray sometimes. Off the top of my head I don't recall OK State ever going gray/orange/gray.

I made a team in TeamBuilder that was orange and gray/silver with black accents. Called them the Brawlers, IIRC. Modeled their roster after the Raiders teams of the '70s.

9 hours ago, umlegend1980 said:

Reminds me of the Detroit Vipers in the 90s.  Wouldn't guess it'd look good but it did.  

vipers.jpg

Judging by your low number of posts, I'm guessing you're new here. Welcome to the boards from a proud Ohio State alum!

22 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Judging by your low number of posts, I'm guessing you're new here. Welcome to the boards from a proud Ohio State alum!

Judging by your message to a UM Legend, I'm guessing you've received a lot of disapproving looks from fellow Buckeyes.

10 minutes ago, NICnoK said:

Judging by your message to a UM Legend, I'm guessing you've received a lot of disapproving looks from fellow Buckeyes.

The way I see it, we can disagree about which team we root for but still have plenty of fun discussing what Paul Lukas calls "athletics aesthetics." Plus, my mentioning my alma mater was meant as a bit of a friendly jab at our Meatchickander pal.

Archived