Really unusual color schemes (that work)

MCM0313

8 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

The way I see it, we can disagree about which team we root for but still have plenty of fun discussing what Paul Lukas calls "athletics aesthetics." Plus, my mentioning my alma mater was meant as a bit of a friendly jab at our Meatchickander pal.

I got 'ya. I just don't normally associate "friendly" or "welcoming" with Buckeyes' attitudes toward us "scUM" fans. That said, anyone who quotes Paul Lukas is okay in my book and if I ever make it back down to Columbus, I hope to meet more fans like yourself. I'm not holding my breath tho.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/23/2016 at 11:07 PM, ColeJ said:

and lets just pretend this is the unpopular opinions thread, because this is honestly one of my favorite uniforms in NHL history.

i LOVE the idea of shoulder stripes on a hockey sweater.

GarySimmons.png

I've always thought if the Grizzlies ever rebrand, brown, teal, and yellow, or black, teal and yellow would be a great color scheme.

1 minute ago, NICnoK said:

I got 'ya. I just don't normally associate "friendly" or "welcoming" with Buckeyes' attitudes toward us "scUM" fans. That said, anyone who quotes Paul Lukas is okay in my book and if I ever make it back down to Columbus, I hope to meet more fans like yourself. I'm not holding my breath tho.

Oh, I've mellowed out a bit since I graduated. When I was a student I would've given you guys much more crap than this. Truth is, though, we're all human and we aren't here to have arguments about which school is the best. We're here to discuss the visual aspect of sports and find constructive criticism and feedback for our own ideas. Most of us on here seem to be more alike than different. I really only have one real-life friend who finds this stuff interesting, so this community has been very encouraging to me.

1 minute ago, mjd77 said:

I've always thought if the Grizzlies ever rebrand, brown, teal, and yellow, or black, teal and yellow would be a great color scheme.

Earlier in this thread I reposted SFGiants58's Grizzlies concept which was brown and teal (and I think yellow as tertiary). You should go back and look at it-it's a real beaut.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:39 AM, MCM0313 said:

Absolutely. Even moreso, purple and black together (though not the first season). I guess purple was still a trendy color in 1996-97-ish (when the Diamondbacks' front office peeps would've been choosing the team's branding)?

or the fact that then owner Jerry Colangelo also owned the Suns who have always worn Purple.

1 hour ago, NICnoK said:

Along the same lines as Maryland, I always thought Vancouver's look in the 90's was unique but cool.

adams-960x500.jpg

I've always thought the Hawks also did a good job with this color scheme.

jersey_hawks_yellow.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Earlier in this thread I reposted SFGiants58's Grizzlies concept which was brown and teal (and I think yellow as tertiary). You should go back and look at it-it's a real beaut.

Found it.  It does look pretty darn good.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:02 PM, leopard88 said:

I've always thought the Hawks also did a good job with this color scheme.

jersey_hawks_yellow.jpg

Meh. I think they did better with that color scheme from 1992-95, in their last set before they went to the giant hawk and the gradient jerseys. Moreover, I wouldn't really consider red-yellow-black all that unusual.

21 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Meh. I think they did better with that color scheme from 1992-95, in their last set before they went to the giant hawk and the gradient jerseys. Moreover, I wouldn't really consider red-yellow-black all that unusual.

I don't consider it unusual either.  i just brought this set up because Maryland and the Canucks were brought up.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

What college is that? Maybe tufts college? I love bronze 

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

That's...interesting. Going by the elephant-head logo I'm guessing Alabama? I don't think it'd have the crimson if it were Tufts.

yeah its Tufts, memorial day's out with custom chin strap, helmet strike and camo (multicam?) inside the elefant logo

2 hours ago, Sk2k said:

yeah its Tufts, memorial day's out with custom chin strap, helmet strike and camo (multicam?) inside the elefant logo

Wait...lacrosse does weird camo uniforms too? I thought that was mostly a baseball thing.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, leopard88 said:

As a kid (I was around 8-12 in that era), I thought the yellow on the helmets was just washed out/faded red.  Since the jerseys were solely red and white (excluding the number outline), I assumed the school colors were just red and white.  My mistake makes a little more sense when you look at this picture, where the M looks almost orange.

515bciRZ6RL._SY355_.jpg

It wasn't until Bobby Ross arrived that they starting using more of the black and gold . . . and the gold was only one jersey stripe.

tumblr_ls1yd2Eykg1qhixboo1_1280.jpg72916311-quarterback-boomer-esiason-of-t

^^^ still one of my favorites all-time uniforms.

Notre Dame used the same jersey style during the Gerry Faust era . . . with a base blue color that was lighter than Notre Dame's tradition navy.

duerson-faust.jpg7884881.jpg

So the M on the helmet in the first picture is actually supposed to be yellow?

Archived