Laremy Tunsil throwing Ole Miss under the NCAA bus.

BlazerBlaze

So 10 minutes before the NFL draft, Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil's twitter account sends out a video him hitting a gas mask bong. This sent him down to the 13th pic, (losing about $6M from the 3rd pick). Then 10 minutes after he's drafted his instagram account sends out screenshots of him messaging an Ole Miss assistant AD asking for money to pay rent and his mom's power bill. And then he confirms this at the press conference afterwards. I can't even imagine the hell which the NCAA is about to try and sent Ole Miss too. Also, who's the ex-best friend who hacked him and leaked this information?!

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

1.  According to dfwable, the allegations against Ole Miss were known and the school was aware that they were going to be slapped for it, so all he did was make it more public.

2.  I don't consider it "Throwing them under the bus" at all - it's not the player's fault that they school broke the rules.  The school takes that risk every time they decide to do these things.  They're breaking rules and trusting a stupid 18-year-old kid (who is probably far less mature / educated than non-star-athlete 18-year-olds) to keep the secret.  That's the school's dumb fault, not his.  Just about anyone in that situation would take money that's being offered - they aren't the ones that stand to lose anything!

3.  He's an idiot for even allowing that photo to be taken and for not deleting messages, but again he's a stupid kid - that's like being mad at a lion for eating a wildebeest.  

Blame the school, not the player.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

According to Deadspin, the Instagram posts went up as his was talking to Suzy Kolber on live TV. I think we would have noticed a kid posting to Instagram live in the middle of an interview. Someone clearly has his login credentials. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2 minutes ago, Geoff said:

According to Deadspin, the Instagram posts went up as his was talking to Suzy Kolber on live TV. I think we would have noticed a kid posting to Instagram live in the middle of an interview. Someone clearly has his login credentials. 

Probably someone with a Starkville, MS zip code.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

14 minutes ago, BlazerBlaze said:

I think it's a pretty clear situation of being thrown under the bus. It's one thing for a situation to be "known" but for a nationally televised admission in front of that many reporters isn't a causal brain fart. 

Not sure what the difference is between something being "known" and "admitted to".  

He shouldn't have been put in the position to have to answer to all those questions (where was his agent?  Where were the Dolphins PR people?) but rather than "no comment" (which he did try to do, by repeatedly saying "I'm just blessed", which sounded worse than "no comment") at least he owned it, which I guess is better than denying it.

Again, keep in mind that he's just a dumb kid, and people that know better shouldn't have put him in that position.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure what the difference is between something being "known" and "admitted to".  

He shouldn't have been put in the position to have to answer to all those questions (where was his agent?  Where were the Dolphins PR people?) but rather than "no comment" (which he did try to do, by repeatedly saying "I'm just blessed", which sounded worse than "no comment") at least he owned it, which I guess is better than denying it.

Again, keep in mind that he's just a dumb kid, and people that know better shouldn't have put him in that position.

The woman who said, "No more questions," after he answered works for Jimmy Sexton, Tunsil's agent.

As for the cash, NCAA suspended him for seven games last season for improper benefits, namely he had the use of three loaner cars over a six-month period.

There have been guys that have had issues that kept them waiting around longer in the first round. Warren Sapp comes to mind. Sure, they may not be the best character guys but Miami might have gotten a steal.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Glad the Bucs didn't take this guy.  He may be free and clear, but don't want the baggage.

I don't think they even considered him. The Bucs desperately needed a D-linemen and a corner, picking a tackle wouldn't make sense.

59 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It should be interesting to see what affect this had on Nkemdiche.

Interesting that it's coming out that they were together when Nkemdiche smoked spice in Buckhead and tryed to defy gravity. Makes the statement from his agent last night saying "marijuana like substance". Seems like Ole Miss has a NCAA and a synthetic weed problem.

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

The latest Tunsil story overshadowed that Alabama parted ways with DL coach, Bo Davis, due to recruiting violations.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/04/29/alabama-assistant-bo-davis-recruiting-violations

Davis was making nearly $500K and is "resigning" in the last week of April.?.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/04/the_curious_departure_of_alaba.html

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The latest Tunsil story overshadowed that Alabama parted ways with DL coach, Bo Davis, due to recruiting violations.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/04/29/alabama-assistant-bo-davis-recruiting-violations

Davis was making nearly $500K and is "resigning" in the last week of April.?.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/04/the_curious_departure_of_alaba.html

Now if they could only get the Governor to do the same...

• 2 weeks later...

Those text did come from Tunsil.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/15518292/ole-miss-rebels-officials-confirm-laremy-tunsil-text-messages-checking-alterations

Now, there are income funds available to assist poorer "student-athletes", but the school hasn't been that open.

There is no money trail...yet.

But Hugh Freeze has asked a Mississippi judge for special stipulations after being disposed for a civil case regarding Tunsil.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2016/05/11/ole-miss-hugh-freeze-requests-restrictions-possible-deposition/84246580/

Archived