Atlantic League Debuts Innovative Catchers' Equipment Designs

JaMikePA

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

I would hate to be a pitcher staring into one of those things. Seems like it'd be a bit distracting.

Not a problem if all pitchers league-wide are staring into them.

I already saw this in the "Uni Watch Fans" Facebook group, but I for one like these thingies a lot. They remind me of goaltender masks in hockey, which I also like a lot. If there's gonna be something individualistic and artsy-fartsy on baseball gear, this is the best place for it, and some of those designs are pretty sweet...the two in the middle are probably the worst of the bunch to my eyes but none of them are bad.

10 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Not a problem if all pitchers league-wide are staring into them.

Not sure how that changes anything. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, kroywen said:

I would hate to be a pitcher staring into one of those things. Seems like it'd be a bit distracting.

I'm sure it'd be tough for outfielders too, since the chest protector is typically what they focus on to pick up the ball. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure how that changes anything. 

Yeah, just because something has the potential to be distracting to all players doesn't mean its effects are negated. Some pitchers might have more difficulty dealing with these designs than others. It's pretty easy to foresee a scenario where a pitcher has trouble quickly determining where the catcher's glove is set up (against the busy backdrop of the chest protector), which could wind up being a player safety issue (if the catcher gets crossed up as a result).

The design on the second player to the right could cause some issues with that - a brown or black mitt could easily blend into that background from a distance (especially if the catcher is in the shadows).

20 minutes ago, gimmick said:

Hideous.

So you're a - no, the gimmick account - but what's the gimmick?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/3/2016 at 10:48 AM, dsaline97 said:

I'm sure it'd be tough for outfielders too, since the chest protector is typically what they focus on to pick up the ball. 

Funny, when I was an outfielder I listened for a ping and looked for a small white sphere... I guess that's why I sucked...;)

14 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

LOL I actually like some of those designs.

I think they're all pretty good, myself. I'd consider this one of those things that'd be great for minor league baseball but wouldn't work in the majors...although I'd love to see some concepts for what MLB team-themed catcher's equipment would look like.

Archived