MLB Military Home Base Salute Hats

thespungo

?format=1000w

The league makes millions of dollars each year selling camo jerseys, hats, and other merchandise for special patriotic holiday games, and several teams now even sport camo uniform sets year-round. This is all done as a tribute to our military, however many think this tribute is beginning to feel more hollow and jingoistic. Is slapping a team's logo over the top of a camo pattern and donating a small portion of the profits really the best we can do to honor our nation's bravest?

Introducing the Major League Baseball Home Base Salute, a chance to salute the individuals underneath the uniform -- not the uniform itself.

Click here to view the full project on Behance.

2016+Homebase+Salute_Colorado+Rockies_Ai

2016+Homebase+Salute_Los+Angeles+Dodgers

2016+Homebase+Salute_St+Louis_Army.jpg

2016+Homebase+Salute_St+Louis_Army_back.

Home+Base_Nike+Shirt_Kansas+City+Royals.

My main problem is that certain types of camo make themselves look like sublimated snakeskin, especially Colorado's. This though,

Introducing the Major League Baseball Homebase Salute, a chance to salute the individuals underneath the uniform -- not the uniform itself.

This is genius.

Once again, your execution and presentation is top notch. Fortunately, you're a little too late to fake us all out for the third time :P

spacer.png

On May 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM, coco1997 said:

This is a great idea with equally great execution. Will you be doing any other teams?

Eh, probably not. Just didn't get the buzz I was hoping for, so I'll probably move on to something else. Thanks for checking these out, though, glad you liked them.

And thanks to everyone else for their comments, as well. Might have to start sharing more of my work.

On May 4, 2016 at 10:03 AM, dsaline97 said:

My main problem is that certain types of camo make themselves look like sublimated snakeskin, especially Colorado's. This though,

This is genius.

Once again, your execution and presentation is top notch. Fortunately, you're a little too late to fake us all out for the third time :P

That pattern is referred to as "Tiger Stripe" and is a popular pattern used by the Air Force. 

Would be nice if these "fakes" turned into the real thing eventually!

This is such a great concept. Like, really great - execution, presentation, idea, cause, all of it. I can't think of a particular critique myself, I just want to say that I really admire the whole thing and especially love the thought you put into the cause. Excellent, excellent work!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

15 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This is such a great concept. Like, really great - execution, presentation, idea, cause, all of it. I can't think of a particular critique myself, I just want to say that I really admire the whole thing and especially love the thought you put into the cause. Excellent, excellent work!

Thats an awesome thing to say, thanks a bunch!

Sweet concept! I love the Brewers one you did, but what insignia did you use?

This is the one you should use...

This is our major military installation here.

image.png

packchampionslfroh.png

19 hours ago, rsaline said:

Love. Everything. Can you tell me which side patches are which? Obviously, they're all local installations, but some of them I'm not to sure on. Great work!

Royals = 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base outside of Kansas City, MO.

Cardinals = Maneuver Support Center of Excellence at Fort Leonard Wood Army base in central Missouri.

Padres = San Diego Naval Base

Reds = 88th Air Base Wing at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, OH.

Brewers = Fort McCoy Army base near Tomah, WI

Marlins = U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command at the Mayport Naval Station near Jacksonville, FL.

Rockies = 460th Space Wing at Buckley Air Force Base outside of Denver, CO.

Dodgers = California Air National Guard at Ventura County Naval Base outside Oxnard, CA.

Yankees = West Point Military Academy in New York. 

Army hats were given the new Army Combat Uniform pattern, the Air Force got the Airman Battle Uniform or Tiger Stripe pattern, and I went with digital Battle Dress Uniform for the Navy.

If the base itself had a patch and it looked cool, I'd use that, but in most cases I used the patch from the base's host unit. That made sense to me, because for many teams the host unit of a nearby base handled flyover duties at the stadium, which made the partnership feel right.

In some cases, like the Dodgers, I kinda picked a patch that only semi-made sense simply because it just looked real cool, with the caveat that this was simply a proof of concept.

2 hours ago, KDubK414 said:

Sweet concept! I love the Brewers one you did, but what insignia did you use?

This is the one you should use...

This is our major military installation here.

image.png

Well, maybe you're right. I was really just looking for another Army base to balance out the set and chose Fort McCoy because they have a great patch.

50 minutes ago, thespungo said:

Well, maybe you're right. I was really just looking for another Army base to balance out the set and chose Fort McCoy because they have a great patch.

Thats cool, and I did notice that the 128th is very similar to another   Patch as well. 

packchampionslfroh.png

On May 4, 2016 at 8:35 AM, JosiahWVU said:

That is amazing! Better than stuff!

2016-MLB-Memorial-Day-Cap-and-Jersey-Det

In terms of looks, I really like some of that, it's just that the thought behind it rings a little hollow to me.

Archived