University of Illinois to begin looking for a new mascot.

hettinger_rl

Probably gonna be Abe Lincoln with a giant cartoon head. I'd be down for a giant outline of the state of Illinois...with googly eyes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm personally hoping for a huge orange block I with cartoon hands and sneakers.  

Or to better represent the community, just go with a fat white guy named Hank eating potato chips & wearing a Cardinals shirt and a "Make America Great Again" cap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

17 minutes ago, Sk2k said:

Just make a roundel with "Illinois" everywhere, god forbid someone gets their feelings hurt

The Illinois Illini of Anaheim.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

How about a big letter I for a mascot. Name it something like "Ivan the I". It's that simple.

Someone dressed up as an orange "I" running around a football field would be comical. ?

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Admiral Akbar got screwed at Ole Miss. Time to try again at Illinois.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-561152109-12665

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Nah, that has me thinking Iowa State Cyclones and also of hurricanes, which downstate Illinois is not known to have. I'm telling you, guy dressed as Illinois is the way to go. It's not without precedent:

449987-idaho.jpg

Soyby the Soybean is also not without merit. Have you ever been south of I-80? It's nothing but soybeans! A veritable ocean of 'em!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/4/2016 at 9:58 AM, hettinger_rl said:

You're probably right. Birds of prey seem to be the go to for nickname/mascot changes under these circumstances.

Looking specifically at mascot but not nickname changes, the Utah Utes, who were allowed to keep the Utes nickname, have used a anthropomorphic red-tailed hawk as their mascot since 1996.

Mountain+West+Conference+Tournament+Day+

Within the Illinois, the Chicago Blackhawks use [friendly] black hawk as their mascot.

170403415.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 5/5/2016 at 0:20 AM, Thomas said:

But they will still be called the Illini, so what kind of mascot can they now use ?

Let's go with the white-tailed deer, as it is a perfect metaphor for the athletic department.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hopefully they go with a giant chunk of fluorite.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 4 months later...

Maybe they can get a licensing deal from Hasbro to use Spirit Iron-Knife from GI Joe

gij25sik1.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived