Sign in to follow this  
hettinger_rl

University of Illinois to begin looking for a new mascot.

Probably gonna be Abe Lincoln with a giant cartoon head. I'd be down for a giant outline of the state of Illinois...with googly eyes.

I'm personally hoping for a huge orange block I with cartoon hands and sneakers.  

Or to better represent the community, just go with a fat white guy named Hank eating potato chips & wearing a Cardinals shirt and a "Make America Great Again" cap.

Just make a roundel with "Illinois" everywhere, god forbid someone gets their feelings hurt

17 minutes ago, Sk2k said:

Just make a roundel with "Illinois" everywhere, god forbid someone gets their feelings hurt

The Illinois Illini of Anaheim.

How about a big letter I for a mascot. Name it something like "Ivan the I". It's that simple.

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

How about a big letter I for a mascot. Name it something like "Ivan the I". It's that simple.

Someone dressed up as an orange "I" running around a football field would be comical. ?

Admiral Akbar got screwed at Ole Miss. Time to try again at Illinois.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-561152109-12665

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Piggybacking off of that a little.. How about "'I' of the Storm'"?

Nah, that has me thinking Iowa State Cyclones and also of hurricanes, which downstate Illinois is not known to have. I'm telling you, guy dressed as Illinois is the way to go. It's not without precedent:

449987-idaho.jpg

Soyby the Soybean is also not without merit. Have you ever been south of I-80? It's nothing but soybeans! A veritable ocean of 'em!

New college mascot? Illinois should take notes..

But they will still be called the Illini, so what kind of mascot can they now use ?

On 5/4/2016 at 9:58 AM, hettinger_rl said:

You're probably right. Birds of prey seem to be the go to for nickname/mascot changes under these circumstances.

Looking specifically at mascot but not nickname changes, the Utah Utes, who were allowed to keep the Utes nickname, have used a anthropomorphic red-tailed hawk as their mascot since 1996.

Mountain+West+Conference+Tournament+Day+

Within the Illinois, the Chicago Blackhawks use [friendly] black hawk as their mascot.

170403415.jpg

Very nice bird the Blackhawks has as a mascot, even looks like it has a nicer jersey then the players....no diaper hemline !?

On 5/5/2016 at 0:20 AM, Thomas said:

But they will still be called the Illini, so what kind of mascot can they now use ?

Let's go with the white-tailed deer, as it is a perfect metaphor for the athletic department.

Hopefully they go with a giant chunk of fluorite.