Miami Dolphins (Posted 5/19/16): Home, Away, Alternate, Throwback

New England Patriots (Posted 5/20/16): Home, Away, Alternate, Throwback

New York Jets (Coming Soon): Home, Away, Alternate, Throwback

THROWBACK WEEK MATCH-UPS (Jersey/Pants Colors):

Buffalo Bills (White/Blue) vs. Jaguars *White at Home

Miami Dolphins (Teal/White) vs. 49ers

New England Patriots (White/White) @ Jets

New York Jets (Navy/Gold) vs Patriots

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUFFALO BILLS

Primary/Alternate Uniforms: The Bills have some really great uniforms now, some of the best in the NFL IMO. However, I ended up making some rather significant changes. First off, I gave them a new wordmark which features a red streak in the middle of it to match the primary logo. Closer look of the old wordmark vs the new wordmark. The uniforms stay somewhat similar, but I created a tapered stripe to match the logo that is used on the helmet, jersey and pants. Other than that, the font used on the uniforms matches the wordmark's font.

Home Uniform

Buffalo%20Bills%20Home%20Uniform_zps13qo

Away Uniform

Buffalo%20Bills%20Away%20Uniform_zpss1uc

Alternate Uniform

Buffalo%20Bills%20Alternate%20Uniform_zp

Throwback Set: This throwback set is extremely similar to their current throwbacks, including the throwback helmet logo and the fauxback sleeve stripes they currently use. The main difference is the blue pants which features a new striping pattern that actually matches the jersey's sleeves. The play at home vs. the Jaguars but because I'm trying to do at least two light jerseys and two dark in each division, the Bills decide to go with White jerseys at home.

Buffalo%20Bill%20Throwback%20Uniforms_zp

The Patriots turned out to be one of my favorite of the bunch, I feel like I say that a lot but this is a division overall that I would rank in my top 2 or 3 when I would say which ones are my favorite without a doubt. I was getting some writers block on what to do for the Patriots and the Jets and they turned out to be my two favorite in this entire division.

I forgot to say this in the helmet post. All of the primary helmets here are light and the Jets that gets a true alternate helmet (non-throwback). I almost went with a green Jets helmet but decided against it last second. I'll say this about the alternate though, it may pick up enough steam to be changed to the Primary. Just thought I would introduce it as an alternate first but we will see what you guys think once I get there. Normally, I'm not a fan of doing so many light helmets as I think the NFL has way too many white/black/gray helmets as opposed to colored helmets but this was a division in which the light helmets made too much sense and had too much value for me to change.

That being said, I have a question for the Jets throwback, may not actually get to answer it until we get there. Currently, I have the throwback in the old New York Titans colors. I'm a little torn though because the uniform as a whole is a combination throwback and could work with that color scheme or the green and white color scheme. Like I said, it may be easier to decide once I show it and I may just go ahead and render a Green and White version so you guys can choose but I just thought I'd throw it out there right now to see if there is an overall preference before I get there.

MIAMI DOLPHINS

Primary/Alternate Uniforms: The Dolphins have one of the best color schemes in the NFL. I think that the newer set of logos/wordmarks they have are good but the uniform set is just unnecessarily bland. I'm big fan of their classic looks but I decided that I'd try to create a new striping pattern that captures the essence of the classic stripes and combines that with a new modern take. Best way to describe it is a "wavy" stripe. Orange jersey is brought back as an alternate.

Home Uniform

Miami%20Dolphins%20Home%20Uniform_zpsre5

Away Uniform

Miami%20Dolphins%20Away%20Uniform_zpslmn

Alternate Uniform

Miami%20Dolphins%20Alternate%20Uniform_z

Throwback Set: The throwback uniform is pretty much exactly the same as their current throwback uniforms. I did make a fun addition to the set though. The Dolphins had this unused logo/helmet back in 1997. I decided to use that as inspiration for the undershirt as well as the gloves to create a unique element to the set.

Miami%20Dolphins%20Throwback%20Uniform_z

As a dolphins fan, your dolphins concept is probably my least favorite of all these.. The striping just looks forced.. You did a great job achieving a unique pattern with Carolina and Tampa, without it looking too forced, but with Miami, it just seems like you were trying too hard (although it looks great on your white jersey and white pants).. I think their newer striping is unique to the NFL, as well as the white helmet/white facemask, so I'm not sure why those elements get axed in every concept, because I like them.. I think maybe finding a way to simplify it a bit could help, plus the helmet stripe is a bit of a reach here.. You nailed everything but your striping patterns here, so that's all I'd like to see adjusted

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Primary/Alternate Uniforms: It is pretty hard to ignore that the Patriots have had great success with their current uniforms. I didn't want to deviate too much from their current set because of that but I still think there are necessary changes that needed to be made. The first thing I did was update the wordmark yet again. The Patriots have a very good and unique number/name font so I wanted to use it instead of their western inspired wordmark. It looks pretty similar but it is still different so here is a closer look at the old vs the new. I decided to keep the same striping pattern but combine it with some inspiration from the primary logo. It is an idea that is pretty common for Patriots concepts but I would say that is because it is a good idea and I went with my own take on it. Piping is gone, striping pattern is used on pants and helmet as well. Red alternate is added.

Home Uniform

New%20England%20Patriots%20Home%20Unifor

Away Uniform

New%20England%20Patriots%20Away%20Unifor

Alternate Uniform

New%20England%20Patriots%20Alternate%20U

Throwback Set: The throwbacks are another variation of eras throwback set. The striping comes from the 1969 set, I like it the best because it is consistent across all of the uniform pieces. I went with the 1960 helmet logo with numbers. I'm a sucker for helmet numbers (Alabama fan) and I just like the uniqueness of this look as opposed to using the Pat logo. He is still around being used on the undershirt and gloves instead. The socks are actually from their 2010 throwback set, went with this look for consistency purposes and because I think the all-white look is great here.

New%20England%20Throwback%20Uniform_zps6

I find the mixed reviews on the Dolphins pretty interesting. I don't see the font as a problem at all, it is unique and flows well for the Dolphins so I'll agree to disagree with the poster who doesn't like their current font. As far as the striping goes. I don't really feel like it is forced but it is a pretty big departure from anything the Dolphins have ever done. The idea here is to create uniqueness and I felt like that was accomplished and it flows with the overall theme. That being said, I will say the helmet stripe was something that I was a little iffy on, once I go back to make updates, I'll see what I can do about possibly simplifying the stripes and whether or not I feel like it works better, thanks for the comments and thoughts!

The Jets are up next, I may post it a little bit later today. No one ever commented back on the throwback question for the Jets so I'm gonna give both versions a try and either post both or just go with the one I like the best.

The AFC East is shaping up to look really good! I especially really dig the Dolphins. Great striping pattern.

One nitpick I suppose I have though is the Patriots, and it's only regarding the helmet. I think the Flying Elvis already acts well as the "bridge" for the particular striping pattern theme you have and connects the helmet to the jersey and pants just fine, so I think the helmet stripes are a little redundant and unnecessary. The uniform will look perfectly cohesive without the stripes and I think the helmet would be much cleaner and less cluttered without them also. Other than that, from the neck down you completely nailed 'em.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Amazing series so far!  My favorite are the Eagles, Redskins, Titans, and especially the Saints.  Great work!!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The AFC East is shaping up to look really good! I especially really dig the Dolphins. Great striping pattern.

One nitpick I suppose I have though is the Patriots, and it's only regarding the helmet. I think the Flying Elvis already acts well as the "bridge" for the particular striping pattern theme you have and connects the helmet to the jersey and pants just fine, so I think the helmet stripes are a little redundant and unnecessary. The uniform will look perfectly cohesive without the stripes and I think the helmet would be much cleaner and less cluttered without them also. Other than that, from the neck down you completely nailed 'em.

That is a really good point! I went ahead and updated the original Patriots post, Jets will come either late tonight or sometime tomorrow, thanks for all the comments guys!

NEW YORK JETS (ORIGINAL SET IN SPOILERS)......UPDATE CAN BE VIEWED HERE

Spoiler

Primary/Alternate Uniforms: This may have turned out to be my favorite set in the entire division. I had the idea of  combining the old JETS script with their current logo as well as the Jet's striping pattern before I was ever able to render it and I thought it turned out just as I had envisioned it. Basically the "jet/jet stream" becomes the new top stripe on their uniform. I used their logo's font to update the name and number fonts on the uniforms. I was going to go with a green helmet at first but ultimately decided the traditional white helmet should stay as the primary since I had a special idea for their alternate set. The Jet's alternate uniforms are one of the most unique in the entire series. The helmet uses the Jet stream to wrap around the helmet as opposed to using the normal logo, this Navy helmet served as some inspiration for that idea. The uniforms stay in their current colors but use the striping in a more futuristic horizontal style as opposed to the classical jets striping style.

Home Uniform

New%20York%20Jets%20Home%20Uniforms_zpso

Away Uniform

New%20York%20Jets%20Away%20Uniforms_zps0

Alternate Uniform (Alternate Helmet included)

New%20York%20Jets%20Alternate%20Uniforms

Throwback Set: For the throwbacks, I always knew I wanted to go the Joe Namath era route. However, I decided to go with the helmets from 1963 instead. I like the uniqueness of that helmet logo as opposed to just using pretty much the same logo as their primary set. Originally, I was going to use the color scheme from the New York Titans instead since the Jets have used that set as a throwback before. I decided against it thought just because the Jets themselves were never in that color scheme and I like the old school green and white look.

New%20York%20Jets%20Throwback%20Uniform%

That wraps up the AFC East. Up next will be the NFC and AFC West divisions and gets us halfway through the league, just want to thank everyone for all of their comments again and hope to continue hearing some great input. This project has been a lot of fun and I'm currently thinking about some different things to expand the series as a whole (realistic photo jersey swaps, action templates, etc.) as well as possibly doing some type of official Minor League Football for the NFL as a spin-off to this series.

@StrongXStyle They are similar just because they use both use two tones and both use red and navy but I feel like they are different enough for it to work for both teams. The Patriots stripe is a little bit thinner and more of a shoulder stripe while the Texans striping style somewhat mimics the Ram's horn sleeve/shoulder stripe. I don't see it being a problem though given that they are both still unique to each team and their are a lot of teams who use the same or similar classic striping styles.

Archived