Minnesota Timberwolves

Soblito

58ed8e4fd6fc5_ScreenShot2017-04-11at10_16_06PM.thumb.png.8240d6d1d41a2a222ec0ee714e199f52.png

the thing that bothers me most is the use of neon green. it's such an intense color that even when applied to small shapes and surrounded by navy blue, it really calls for attention; even overpowering the white text. for that reason i wish a decision was made to have either the wolf's eye or the star only be green. because three pieces are green there's not really a focal point here, and it doesn't help that the star and eye are about the same size and close to each other, yet neither in the true center of the logo. 

i'd like to have seen a little more contrast in the blues and a darker gray, but overall the color palette is great and the Northern Lights inspiration is clear. with a slightly brighter blue ball and slightly darker gray i think things would balance out better– the light gray and white seem to be just close enough that one of the colors just feels off. better yet, why have any white at all? if i had to guess, i would say the green in the eye connects the wolf to the star, which is built into the ball so you have this visual connection between wolf, heavens/place, and sport but it just doesn't satisfy me visually. personal choice, i really want to see just one of those things be green

i don't have any other negative things to say about it, it's a really nice logo. yea it's another roundel but its a nice evolution of the previous alternate and dumps a lot of unnecessary details. you already have a wolf head, ball, star, and full team name, so im glad to see the trees sacrificed here. you never want too many ideas in one place. it's also not quite as tired of a roundel as we're used to seeing. the wolf breaks the standard "racing tire" shape and blends the outer ring into the inner very well. the wolf is rendered very well (save for the eye, i don't like that), leaps ahead of the old alternate because it actually has believable form and light years ahead of the primary it replaces which was laughable. i don't think they needed to turn the wolf to face right to make the point, but im going to guess it was done as a "look to the future". 

i don't know what the type is inspired by exactly, but i do feel it belongs to the northern states. i can't pin point it yet, but the points on the M, W, V, and A have some sort of vibe that is reflective of something i've seen before. Viking mythology? maybe just pine trees? i don't know, but i like it. 

i'll give it 4/5 stars. it's just nice to see a logo carefully considered and crafted pretty well. just look at the thickness of the gray lines, the ball lines, the type weight–its all the same and there's no tangents, the spacing and strokes, the tracking and kerning all really well done. if i were a fan, i'd proudly rock it on some new gear

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, there's a tree in his fur. Look carefully at the grey tuft. I see a tree. It's also a bit more wavy, which actually looks nice & represents trees better than sticking to standard triangles, IMO. 

Still can't unsee the Orange though. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

2 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Or worst case scenario the roundels are going to lead to WNBA style jerseys with a small team logo patch and a huge ad on the front. I'd sure like to think it would never get to that, but I wouldn't put it past the league to not even think twice before destroying the identity of every single team...in the name of greed of course.

I don't think it's worst case scenario, I think that's exactly what's happening. Making every logo in the league similar in size and shape makes for an easy shoulder patch in a few years. Why else would they do that? They'll go with the corporate shoulder patch logo for a few years until everyone gets used to them and then they'll make the switch. It won't be long before the NBA is just like soccer and everyone will want a big ad on the front because the jerseys won't look authentic without one. 

I like it. Yes it's a roundel, yes the wolf is reminiscent of the yotes, but I don't care. Like that it's a bit of a faux back, the wolf looks less like the wolf man and the North Star is a nice touch. Should look good on a court and uniform. Excited to see the rest of the look.

8 hours ago, OliverP said:

Probably my biggest typographical pet peeve is when the capital letter A doesn't have a crossbar.

This is what I imagine had happened in that designers head: "Hmmmm, how can I make this font look custom and different?... Hey, I know! I'll remove the crossbar from the letter A, that'll be so cool."

There's really no other way to look at it other than a design flaw. It doesn't match anything else in the logo and stands out way too much. If anything, it forces some sort of futuristic font into an otherwise backwoods rustic style. I'm sure they've already figured out some corporate talk to explain it away by saying the wolf ate it or something.  

Just now, ohryan said:

There's really no other way to look at it other than a design flaw. It doesn't match anything else in the logo and stands out way too much. If anything, it forces some sort of futuristic font into an otherwise backwoods rustic style. I'm sure they've already figured out some corporate talk to explain it away by saying the wolf ate it or something.  

Maybe it's an arrow northward? All I can think of. 

5 minutes ago, BShaw20 said:

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/newera?_ga=1.47597223.1446307160.1473387666

lots of what one would call, BS explanations and justifications lol

If you need to explain and defend elements of the logo, then it probably isn't a good logo to begin with. Maybe they should have spent more time on the logo and less on the fancy explanation website, I think Bolt957 nailed it a few posts above (minus the "A" crossbar). 

The open mouth with the teeth showing represents the fierce energy of not just one Wolf, but a collective unit. To show aggression and fearlessness to the future.

Oh. I thought it was because a closed mouth would've looked like it was sniffing the air.

Not too bad...would like to have the green a bit darker and more prevalent.  HATE the "A" and I don't think people will understand it. 

I think it's an improvement over the forward-facing wolf logos they've been using.  And I am a bit less fond of the frequent use of trees...I don't mind the lack of trees in this logo (though we we know they're coming in sublimation form on the uniform).

I like the North Star and the simplicity of the logo.  I also like the lack of black.  I'd like there to be a little less gray.

But overall, this is solid.  Thanks to the sublimation we've seen and the brightness of the green, I'm not as optimistic about the uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, ohryan said:

If you need to explain and defend elements of the logo, then it probably isn't a good logo to begin with. Maybe they should have spent more time on the logo and less on the fancy explanation website, I think Bolt957 nailed it a few posts above (minus the "A" crossbar). 

logos are visual expressions of ideas or a concept. they not only identify something, but communicate a message about that something. even a single letter has something to "say" about what it represents with color, weight, proportion, style, etc. logos shouldn't be so esoteric or complex that those meanings don't come through somewhat easily, but that doesn't mean everyone can see what those are and i think they've done a good job in aiding that. the site is overdone, but i would blame the copywriter. every design choice was thought about and considered, as they should be. every decision made should have a reason for its being and "it looks cool" doesn't count; not ever.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived