Soblito

Minnesota Timberwolves

Recommended Posts

Mike - I like yours way better. It is a strong logo, plus it has a better use of colors that reproduce well in all formats (print and digital). The green that is used in the design that won won't reproduce as well in CMYK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,548
On 1/24/2017 at 4:05 AM, MIKE_SWITZERLAND said:

I also participated in this contest. I think the timberwolves had a good concept back in the days, therefore I picked up the old logo and made a redesign without changing the general idea. I made it to the final round but the design above won in the end. Let me know what you think. 

attachment_70891496.jpeg

 

This should have won.  Maybe a small change to wordmark...but even that's not necessary.  Logo is NBA-ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dont care    1,444
9 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Mike - I like yours way better. It is a strong logo, plus it has a better use of colors that reproduce well in all formats (print and digital). The green that is used in the design that won won't reproduce as well in CMYK.

Why not? It's very close if not the same color the Seahawks use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bucfan56    3,859

Sigh. You just know the Wolves are going to go navy and white with little to absolutely no green. 

 

I bet it's closer to this than it will be to anything anybody actually wants them to use. 

7609_oklahoma_city_thunder-alternate-201

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Holmes    198
On 24/01/2017 at 8:05 PM, MIKE_SWITZERLAND said:

I also participated in this contest. I think the timberwolves had a good concept back in the days, therefore I picked up the old logo and made a redesign without changing the general idea. I made it to the final round but the design above won in the end. Let me know what you think. 

attachment_70891496.jpeg

 

Perfection!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dont care said:

Why not? It's very close if not the same color the Seahawks use

 

I literally just said "why not". Consistent reproduction is incredibly tough. Not that it can't be done. But it's clear the winning 'Wolves logo was designed purely in RGB without any thought given to reproduction in print. It becomes more "lime" and loses the neon effect unless you use a pantone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Conrad.    835
11 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Sigh. You just know the Wolves are going to go navy and white with little to absolutely no green. 

 

I bet it's closer to this than it will be to anything anybody actually wants them to use. 

7609_oklahoma_city_thunder-alternate-201

 

That was my first thought when I saw the practice court too, unfortunately. The popularity of the Toronto Huskies throwbacks and the Toronto All-Star unis (all 3 just one color + white) might have led down the road to uber simplicity. Let's hope not, but I won't be shocked. :|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,309
On 1/24/2017 at 3:05 AM, MIKE_SWITZERLAND said:

I also participated in this contest. I think the timberwolves had a good concept back in the days, therefore I picked up the old logo and made a redesign without changing the general idea. I made it to the final round but the design above won in the end. Let me know what you think. 

attachment_70891496.jpeg

This is outstanding.  It would be the Blue Jays update of the NBA.  I love the original Timberwolves look but I do admit that the wolf looks a bit (I can't think of a good word here) static (or something).  This wolf provides the howling motion without trying too hard to be "ferocious," which I think is an issue now.  And the colors here...sign me up.

 

I did not see this contest so I don't know who else entered, but even without me noticing things like "tension points," this is better than the winner.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mafiaman    221
On 1/24/2017 at 3:05 AM, MIKE_SWITZERLAND said:

I also participated in this contest. I think the timberwolves had a good concept back in the days, therefore I picked up the old logo and made a redesign without changing the general idea. I made it to the final round but the design above won in the end. Let me know what you think. 

attachment_70891496.jpeg

 

Not bad, but I'm not a fan of the wolf looking like he's doing neck exercises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MCM0313    797
23 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

 

Not bad, but I'm not a fan of the wolf looking like he's howling at the moon.

FTFY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26.1.2017 at 4:09 PM, OnWis97 said:

This is outstanding.  It would be the Blue Jays update of the NBA.  I love the original Timberwolves look but I do admit that the wolf looks a bit (I can't think of a good word here) static (or something).  This wolf provides the howling motion without trying too hard to be "ferocious," which I think is an issue now.  And the colors here...sign me up.

 

I did not see this contest so I don't know who else entered, but even without me noticing things like "tension points," this is better than the winner.

 

Thank you for your Feedback OnWis. I am very flattered about the fact that you compare my redesign to the one of the blue Jays, since I think it is one of the best in history. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hettinger_rl    469

I had also enter this contest with this concept:

NBAWolves1 (1).pngNBAWolves1 (2).png

 

I firmly believe that they have what they need to have a great identity, that they should flip the current primary and secondary, that they should NOT get rid of all hints of the "Timber", and that they should ditch black all together.

 

Here they are with the rumored "dark blue"

NewWolves3.pngNewWolves2.png

New Wolves.pngNew Wolves1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OnWis97    2,309

That's pretty good, too.  I definitely prefer the lighter blue and these drawings confirm the heck out of that.

 

Sometimes I think the "timber" part of the identity is over done.  The logo is like one of those games.  (Photo of tree) + (Photo of wolf) = ???.  Contestant says "tree dog...wolf...tree wolf?  Evergreen wolf?  Ooh, ooh, TIMBER WOLF!"

 

Nevertheless, this is a really, really nice update to a great, but too dark/drab logo in need of some green.  I definitely prefer the green ball to the gray.  And as much as I like the OP's concept, this really is all they have to do to add some color to an otherwise decent look.

 

Unpopular opinion alert: No trees on the collars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ark    656

It doesn't look that bad until you see the other designs in this thread.

 

Why does the wolf just look angry instead of like he's howling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ark    656
Just now, PaleVermilion81 said:

It looks angry because the mouth shape of a howling wolf is different than a growling wolf.

 

Yeah, why did they make it like that/select that design?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now