New Instagram Logo/Icon

DDR

It's hideous. The rest of the design world is trending toward simplicity and monochrome, and then Instagram comes out with... that. Funny thing is, the inside design is now competely black/white. No rainbows to be found.

One positive from this though, is that Instagram finally has a simple line drawing for black/white applications. That's something it was missing before.

EDIT: Here's a comparison with other social media apps. How bad does this look? I swear my retinas burn a little when looking at my phone now. 

13162351_10154303666660864_1137276809_n.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I like it. The old logo had far overstayed it's welcome. The skeumorphic camera icon stood out for all the wrong reasons.

It's going to take some time to get used to, but it's a nice evolution IMO. The work they did inside that app is a big upgrade as well. The blue/grey aesthetic competed with the photos themselves, whereas the the black/white look in the app allows the user to focus on the content.

This would have been a huge update (random concept I found)

insgrm6_1x.png

And here's my 5-minute version:

InstaGC.png

InstaScreen.png

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

53 minutes ago, nash61 said:

It's hideous. The rest of the design world is trending toward simplicity and monochrome, and then Instagram comes out with... that. Funny thing is, the inside design is now competely black/white. No rainbows to be found.

One positive from this though, is that Instagram finally has a simple line drawing for black/white applications. That's something it was missing before.

EDIT: Here's a comparison with other social media apps. How bad does this look? I swear my retinas burn a little when looking at my phone now. 

13162351_10154303666660864_1137276809_n.jpg

When I glanced at this screenshot, one icon immediately stood out over the others. Mission accomplished, Instagram.

I think it's far too drastic a change to get my full approval, but I generally like it in terms of a basic app icon design.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's more of a sunset than a rainbow.

sunset-3.jpg

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The gradient's the only bad thing about it and I think that background color will change and evolve while the icon in front of it stays the same. The actual simple camera icon is an improvement over the old one. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's a little strange to me that the logo is so colorful, and then when you open the app you get black and white, with a hint of navy. I get trying to minimalize distraction and to focus more on the pictures, but it's very confusing to me why they would chose to do this.

spacer.png

Here's their explanation. Makes a lot of sense and I'm a fan.

"While the icon is a colorful doorway into the Instagram app, once inside the app, we believe the color should come directly from the community’s photos and videos. We stripped the color and noise from surfaces where people’s content should take center stage, and boosted color on other surfaces like sign up flows and home screens."

I think there's value in changing the camera glyphs as well. The previous one was obviously very evocative of the old instant cameras, of which Instagram was based on. However, as the usage has evolved, you see a lot less filtering and less of the retro-nostalgia feel to the content within the app. In that sense, I think it was smart to move away from the retro looking camera icon to one that feel more appropriate for the future.

Archived