New Instagram Logo/Icon

DDR

The idea behind their logo is essentially an icon that features a cell phone camera...

20130523_071448_gallery_camera_300.jpg

...or at least that's what I think it is. That said, I can see why they felt the need to update the original logo. Cell phones are flat, for the most part. The new logo is 1 dimensional and uses a lot of bright colors, which make me think of many of the Apple-related products like phone cases, downloadable backgrounds, etc, which are usually colorful. I think they wanted their logo to represent what we use today, since Instagram is basically a social media platform where people post selfies taken from their iPhones.

The old logo makes me think of something more along the lines of a Kodak camera in an icon-shaped box with a lid that you open & close, which would represent a plastic gadget that needs to get it's batteries changed. No one uses Kodaks anymore. The old logo was great. But the new one, albeit slightly weaker than the original, just fits a bit better in a way.

4 hours ago, JPDesign said:

I like it. The old logo had far overstayed it's welcome. The skeumorphic camera icon stood out for all the wrong reasons.

It's going to take some time to get used to, but it's a nice evolution IMO. The work they did inside that app is a big upgrade as well. The blue/grey aesthetic competed with the photos themselves, whereas the the black/white look in the app allows the user to focus on the content.

I completely agree. I like the inverted version more than this one, though. The old icon was getting outdated and was too detailed for a smartphone icon.

Here is a quick little concept I threw together on Inkscape. It combines elements of both logos:

photo Instagram App Concept_zpsxfukigrz.png

And a (rough) IPhone screen view:

photo Iphone Insta_zpsskzvdihn.png

I gotta say, I like and hate the new brand at the same time. While they did bring the entire brand of apps together (like Boomerang and those other camera features), I liked the quirky look of the old logo. What they did here was a bit too much in terms of a rebrand, but at least it is a bit cleaned up. I think they just need something in the middle of both icons.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

18 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Here is a quick little concept I threw together on Inkscape. It combines elements of both logos:

photo Instagram App Concept_zpsxfukigrz.png

And a (rough) IPhone screen view:

photo Iphone Insta_zpsskzvdihn.png

I gotta say, I like and hate the new brand at the same time. While they did bring the entire brand of apps together (like Boomerang and those other camera features), I liked the quirky look of the old logo. What they did here was a bit too much in terms of a rebrand, but at least it is a bit cleaned up. I think they just need something in the middle of both icons.

Your rainbow colors blend together and I would drop "INSTA" from the bottom, but I do like it.

On May 11, 2016 at 0:18 PM, Cujo said:

Here's an alt which shows up as their twitter avi.

PgpnXhhh.jpg

I get the switch to something more simplistic, but the color/gradient selection is meh.

Honestly, if they only used this for their icon and other application, the response would be better and it wouldn't feel as jarring. 

spacer.png

I love it, personally.

The old logo was dated from the day it came out and it was overly complex to be used as an icon in today's simplistic operating system styles.

I don't mind the gradient, honestly. I think it's far superior than if they would have used a gradient of the entire rainbow. Lol

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

It's not awful but it could have been rendered a bit better. It looks too generic in terms of it's simplicity. And it's just too much of a departure from their previous look. It's like a 180. 

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived