Milwaukee Flag Getting Overhaul

KDubK414

On 5/15/2016 at 8:43 AM, CS85 said:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/five-finalists-unveiled-for-new-city-flag-b99725121z1-379541551.html 

They're down to the final five.

b99725121z.1_20160514185709_000_gm9fki8k

I'd go with the bottom right since it's simple and unique.  I wish there were choices that were a bit more flavorful and highlighted the brewing community.  I have only been in Milwaukee a time or two and found it to be a very enjoyable, lovely city.

The gold color represents the brewing community in the ones that utilize it according to the design notes on the website.

On 5/20/2016 at 4:50 PM, mjd77 said:

I'm not saying it couldn't use improvement, I'm just saying it's still better then the finalists.  What they should have done is made the contest about cleaning up the current flag, not totally redesigning it.

Again, huh? The current flag is in zero ways better than any of the finalists. Not in color, not clarity, not meaning, not symbolism, not iconography, not recognizability, nothing. There's a reason it is routinely graded the worst flag. The worst of the worst.

Even redesigning the current flag would yield a flag with far too many elements and too much detail. There's a reason country flags rarely contain anything but color blocks and simple, easily identifiable icons. Each of the finalists instantly takes Milwaukee out of the basement as far as city flags go, and I think a couple of them even move it near the coveted "top 15 or so." Give it time and the new flag will relegate the old one to a fun trivia tidbit that post-millennials will show their friends on their Minority Report-inspired interfaces at sleepovers. "OMG. The flag used to look like WHAT!?"

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The gold color represents the brewing community in the ones that utilize it according to the design notes on the website.

Again, huh? The current flag is in zero ways better than any of the finalists. Not in color, not clarity, not meaning, not symbolism, not iconography, not recognizability, nothing. There's a reason it is routinely graded the worst flag. The worst of the worst.

Even redesigning the current flag would yield a flag with far too many elements and too much detail. There's a reason country flags rarely contain anything but color blocks and simple, easily identifiable icons. Each of the finalists instantly takes Milwaukee out of the basement as far as city flags go, and I think a couple of them even move it near the coveted "top 15 or so." Give it time and the new flag will relegate the old one to a fun trivia tidbit that post-millennials will show their friends on their Minority Report-inspired interfaces at sleepovers. "OMG. The flag used to look like WHAT!?"

i have very much enjoyed having Andrew back around the boards the last few days. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On May 13, 2016 at 0:22 PM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

These ones are my particular favorites, whether or not they have any meaning to them.

b99722199z.1_20160511142150_000_giofiftk

Beautiful.  Extra points for the use of 'off white.'

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Cream only makes sense for the Cream City.

We'll find out the winner on Tuesday.   Better not be the "Chicago Jr." flag. 

As if Milwaukee doesn't get enough crap for being "Chicago's largest suburb"...

I actually just got back from my first visit to Milwaukee yesterday...beautiful city with flowing beer, can't complain about that. Oh, and I hope the sunrise flag wins just on "tattoo-ability" alone.

Also, I looked around for the current wreck and I didn't see it anywhere. Not even at the courthouse...it looked like they hilariously used the "flag-within-a-flag."

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

The M star was pretty sweet, but this one is definitely the most colorful and engaging of the choices.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived