DC Comics New Logo

DCarp1231

Because WB/DC failed to properly trademark the bullet logo. So when the company attempted to sue DC Shoe company for copyright infringement, they were found to be infringing on DC Shoe's logo instead. So now we dont get to have DC + Stars on a logo any more. I suppose you could tilt the thing 45 degrees if you wanted to evoke the bullet...but that's probably as far as the company could go

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

On 5/18/2016 at 11:07 AM, kmccarthy27 said:

Per Jim Lee
"The nooks and angles are meant to evoke the Superman "S", the Wonder Woman "WW" emblem and the Bat logo #dccomics #newmark"

thats very surprising to hear. the top serif of the C doesn't look anything like the Superman logo specifically, except they both share a slab serif. im guessing the curved inner bowls of the D and C are supposed to reflect the wings of Wonderwoman's logo? and the spikes that of Batman? i think thats a fine direction to go in but i don't buy it from the execution at all. the idea or "story" just isn't there. it still looks like a stock sporty block font set inside a circle whose stroke weight is too thin to "hold" the letters

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 10:33 AM, NICnoK said:

But maybe that's because as a Michigan fan, I'm adverse to those little Sparty-Spikes.

First thing I thought was Sparty.

It's better than the piss-ugly peel, though.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I think the peel was the right logo for the time, and was honestly a really good logo that looked far better on movie theater screens than it would've on a comic book.  That being said DC's major problem is that they've changed their logo so many goddamn times now that it looks weak.  It's an alright logo, but when you constantly rebrand it's a good sign that you're indecisive and unsure of how you're marketing yourself and/or who you're marketing to.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Going back to basics can only go so far. But they used the flip logo so well with their media properties while they dropped the ball on the comic side of things. Hopefully, they use this new logo wisely with everything and stick to it for more than five years!

On 6/11/2016 at 5:31 PM, habsfan1 said:

All the upcomming seasons of DC shows to be released already have the new logo on the cover.

Spoiler tagged for large images...

Reveal hidden contents

A1sWTd7COhL._SL1500_.jpg

91yLWSRqmvL._SL1500_.jpg

91y5fSZ9%2BaL._SL1500_.jpg

91065B-cEIL._SL1500_.jpg

91XPRI5uFIL._SL1500_.jpg

And here's how it looks for the new Suicide Squad promos

qNCAPAC.png

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Archived