MLB sock stuff

Lukas gets too much into the non-issue of pants length in that article. The real issue is when multiple players on the same team wear their pants high (good), but then wear different socks on the field at the same time (bad). 

MLB needs to put a bottle on this. You want an official sock provider? Great. Make every player wear their official team sock(s). Make every team designate an official sock design to be worn with a designated uniform and all the players all must wear the same sock on the same day lest they get fined. If a guy wants to wear stirrups that's great, but the stirrup's design should match the full sock everyone else is wearing. It's not hard. 

It's no different than if two different players were on the field wearing two different hats. It's no different than how every player on an NFL team must have matching socks. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't want players to start wearing these Stance socks.

SJM-AS-0518-25-L.jpg

But hey, Stance now can manufacture socks solely for the consumer. Hooray money!

And the point has already been made but I want to emphasize again that there is lack of uniformity with socks throughout the league and the A's have been leading that nonsense 

Go A's!

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Lukas gets too much into the non-issue of pants length in that article. The real issue is when multiple players on the same team wear their pants high (good), but then wear different socks on the field at the same time (bad). 

MLB needs to put a bottle on this. You want an official sock provider? Great. Make every player wear their official team sock(s). Make every team designate an official sock design to be worn with a designated uniform and all the players all must wear the same sock on the same day lest they get fined. If a guy wants to wear stirrups that's great, but the stirrup's design should match the full sock everyone else is wearing. It's not hard. 

It's no different than if two different players were on the field wearing two different hats. It's no different than how every player on an NFL team must have matching socks. 

Well, I agree with most of what you're saying, but I don't think the pants length is a non-issue.  I think the players that wear their pants all the way down over the top of their shoes look stupid, and are covering up an aesthetically important part of a baseball uniform.  But I get that there isn't anything that can be done.  It isn't the sort of thing that can be imposed on the players without being collectively bargained, and obviously, the league is not about to go to war over something like that.  Still, I hate that look.  It was bad enough when it was just a few, but now it's a big majority.  I just wish the pendulum would swing back.  Just one day the players look around and say, boy, we look dumb.  We should consider wearing actual baseball pants again.

He goes into collective bargaining over a mandatory pants length, which will never happen, but the league mandating consistent socks among the same team isn't that radical and I don't think the two need to be combined into a joint effort. If guys want to wear their pants down I have no problem with that (I never showed my socks when I played. It was more comfortable), but they should all wear matching socks and that's not too much to ask. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I just wish the pendulum would swing back.  Just one day the players look around and say, boy, we look dumb.  We should consider wearing actual baseball pants again.

Jackie Robinson Day is your best chance of seeing that...

I will say this.

I friggin love Stance as a brand. Their socks are always super high quality, in fact, I was wearing a pair of Lou Gerhig Stance socks the other day (even though I'm not a Yankees fan, I thought they were too cool and had to have them). So I'm hopeful with this deal that my sock collection gets a nice update, because I will buy the :censored: out of some nice made, out there style wise Rangers socks.

51 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

No matter which way they go, the team logo on the socks is stupid. The socks just need to show the team color or colors but there's no need to a logo on them.

As long as they don't go overboard, I've got no problem with the logo on the socks . . .

50804074-kent-hrbek-of-the-minnesota-twi 277714980_9c40c3a5f7.jpg?v=0 Eric+Sogard+Oakland+Athletics+v+Seattle+

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

13 hours ago, mania said:

I will say this.

I friggin love Stance as a brand. Their socks are always super high quality, in fact, I was wearing a pair of Lou Gerhig Stance socks the other day (even though I'm not a Yankees fan, I thought they were too cool and had to have them). So I'm hopeful with this deal that my sock collection gets a nice update, because I will buy the :censored: out of some nice made, out there style wise Rangers socks.

If they make retail versions of the on-field socks the way they have with the NBA contract I will be very happy.

I knew there was at least one I was forgetting.

This one isn't bad, though it may be a little too big.

f3a3b357c8c49a8ef97da0133df3c09d.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

22 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I just wish the pendulum would swing back.  Just one day the players look around and say, boy, we look dumb.  We should consider wearing actual baseball pants again.

It is swinging back. I've seen more players wearing short pants this year than any of the past 9 years I've watched baseball. 

Plus, short pants are abundant in high school and travel baseball nowadays, so it's only a matter of time until that generation brings back the look. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I knew there was at least one I was forgetting.

This one isn't bad, though it may be a little too big.

f3a3b357c8c49a8ef97da0133df3c09d.jpg

A white sock on a red sock. 

It's a white sock on a red sock. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

still weird to me the White Sox were ever a red team. Just feels so wrong. The first time I ever saw those uniforms was when my grandmother gave me my dad's old baseball cards from the 70's and I thought there was a printing error. 

I think we can all agree that sock stripes on baseball players is a good look as long as there's uniformity amongst the same team. Sounds like this deal with Stance will mess things up even more and that's the wrong direction. Get on it, Manfred!

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

It is swinging back. I've seen more players wearing short pants this year than any of the past 9 years I've watched baseball. 

Plus, short pants are abundant in high school and travel baseball nowadays, so it's only a matter of time until that generation brings back the look. 

I wore the high sock look when I played high school baseball in the late 90s. Was I ahead of my time? :)

Archived