Inaugural Baltimore Ravens Uniform Discourse

1937redskins

this is an interesting site and theres lots here but sometimes I see or think something and just want to let it out..

and it wont fit in a specific recent thread or what ever else.

I'm sure most of you do the same thing of just googling something you think of to see what you can find about uniforms and logos in history.

I just want a mini diary/mini blog place to put something once in a while and I encourage anyone to put any random thought of their own

or a pro-con-indifferent statement here as well.

I'd like to know someone cares :wub:

I decided to do this because of one particular NFL helmet/logo/uniform that I like for not particularly normal or classic reasons or reasons that make any sense for that matter.

the Ravens first year uniforms of 1996!

its just so beautifully odd. Of course you know about the logo not lasting due to a copyright issue which is a shame because its my favorite logo ( one of them) ever!

the Helmet logo is like some elaborate 1920s/30s/40s sports club logo or a hockey team or family crest.

I think now that the B was on purpose to attract Browns fans that they moved from ( just a thought but everything billionaires do is a calculated move) but it still represents the oldest uniform design method of a letter for a city.

black and purple- you cant get more dark and gloomy and gothic and domineering than that!

the entire uniform has elements of/reminds me of a Nazi/SS,biker gang,goth rock/goth clubs in the 80s (that I went to in LA)

354009-oct-1996-baltimore-ravens-tight-e

sep-1996-defensive-back-eric-turner-of-t

testaverde-ravens.jpg

a5e3174a26fd031e1ca3e202424289b4.jpgravens-1996-uniforms.jpg

227884.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped collecting trading cards before all the nfl expansion in the 90s so i'm disappointed I dont have but a couple cards with this uniform for now

s568872814488652156_p9576_i1_w1100.jpeg

vinny-testaverde-ravens-2.jpg

another good thing about trading cards is keeping a picture of past uniforms.

I have lots of Expos and old Tampa Bay cards

You like a jersey because it reminds you of Nazi uniforms? Anyway I recommend you put all this on a blog because I can't imagine a universe where this thread isn't locked/deleted (even if it didn't have a picture of a smiling Nazi in it).

1 hour ago, Point1 said:

You like a jersey because it reminds you of Nazi uniforms? Anyway I recommend you put all this on a blog because I can't imagine a universe where this thread isn't locked/deleted (even if it didn't have a picture of a smiling Nazi in it).

this is my thread and this what I want to talk about. Its the same as anyone else making their own thread.

Mine is about more than one thing.

this thread is for free flow thought without needing a topic title you need to confine too.

and will actually help instead of hurt forum space and time.

lol I said I liked the unique,bizarre aspects  of the uni/logo.

I said it reminds me of something/things. No where did I support Nazi's.

theres no reason to delete this and blogs are a waste of time that no one looks at.Blogs are a waste of time unless you get paid for them and I may just want to post a picture and say I like it to see if someine else likes it without some long winded blog type thought.

every forum post you make is about what you think and say.

I'm doing the same thing. This is so I dont have to look everywhere for mine and dont have to remember someone elses thread.

I'm doing what this forum is about, by the rules I make in my own thread so i'm not in danger of going off topic in someone elses.

Its a thread about what I think like everyone elses thread is about what they think.

1 hour ago, 1937redskins said:

this is my thread and this what I want to talk about. Its the same as anyone else making their own thread.

That's not what a thread is, you're thinking of a blog. if you look at threads they generally have titles like "Unpopular Opinions" or "NBA Changes 2015-16." If you started a "Random Thoughts/Opinions" thread that'd be something else, but I'm pretty sure that already exists. 

Also I know you're not a Nazi. I'm just saying that positively comparing a jersey to a Nazi uniform to the extent that you post a picture of an SS officer may not be the best idea.

2 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

this thread is for free flow thought without needing a topic title you need to confine too.

theres no reason to delete this and blogs are a waste of time that no one looks at.Blogs are a waste of time unless you get paid for them and I may just want to post a picture and say I like it to see if someine else likes it without some long winded blog type thought.

I'm doing the same thing. This is so I dont have to look everywhere for mine and dont have to remember someone elses thread.

I'm doing what this forum is about, by the rules I make in my own thread so i'm not in danger of going off topic in someone elses.

Its a thread about what I think like everyone elses thread is about what they think.

The way these sentences are spaced makes me want to read this as beat poetry.      With random bongo playing.

10 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

I love your enthusiasm, and don't want to do anything to squelch it. But this isn't what threads are for; you really are describing a blog. 

These threads should ideally be targeted to a single topic where everyone can weigh in.  Those topics are organized by type; sports logos have one place, general design another, sports in general yet another. That shapes the conversation. 

Sometimes we have sprawling off-topic threads for everyone, but we don't have pet threads where users can blog about whatever tickles their fancy.

The B in the Ravens logo was designed to attract the fans from Cleveland that just had their hearts ripped out and rioted? 

The uniform is great because it has elements of "Nazi/SS, biker gang, goth/rock clubs"?

My gods this is a horrible post, not just the opinions but also the composition. Everyone is right - get a blog or start your own forum. Just don't promote it here. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

this is an interesting site and theres lots here but sometimes I see or think something and just want to let it out..

yeah same

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Forgetting the bizarre links made between the Ravens uniform and other looks, I don't think it's a bad thread...more of a bad thread title. A better title could be "Inaugural Ravens Uniform."  I don't know that we want a "Random Thoughts" thread by every member here.  

Regarding the uniforms, I cannot stand them.  They suffered then from what they suffer from now: black and purple don't have  enough contrast.  Since 1996, the uniforms have improved somewhat.  The black pants with thick white stripe are awful.  I actually think the bird head helmet logo works; at least it would without shoehorning two differently-shaped "Bs" into the respective directions.  The shield looks like a decent sleeve logo...I am not fond of it on the helmet.

Regarding the comparisons, what? It is such a reach to suggest that these look like Nazi uniforms that a cynical person might suggest the poster was just looking for an excuse to post a photo of a Nazi.  Oh wait, does the bird on that sleeve logo have a tiny mustache?  No; my monitor is playing tricks on me.  It's a reach.

"How did he draw the parallels between the Ravens, Nazis, bikers, and goth-rockers?" is a far more interesting question than "why does he use a Rams helmet when his name is 'Redskins?'"

(How am I the first person to say this?) 1937 Redskins is a Poster to Watch.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I love your enthusiasm, and don't want to do anything to squelch it. But this isn't what threads are for; you really are describing a blog. 

These threads should ideally be targeted to a single topic where everyone can weigh in.  Those topics are organized by type; sports logos have one place, general design another, sports in general yet another. That shapes the conversation. 

Sometimes we have sprawling off-topic threads for everyone, but we don't have pet threads where users can blog about whatever tickles their fancy.

Lol well at least a couple people aren't indoctrinated with a reflex PC virus.

Thanks!

In my  opinion a blog I'd an obligation to writs a beginning,middle and end about something. This is intended for free form commenting whether  two words or more and visuals.

Someone already commented they don't know of such a thread. This eliminates being ridiculed for making a thread for every individual thought I might have and there's no other place for it.

And lol at anyone dwelling on the nazi joke /comment/comparison.

It's called a joke,an extreme example. 

I'm describing the black in the uniform and the ornate logo  and the white stripe on black pants as a dark,scarry military uniform.

You are so pc indoctrinated,you've been taught to dwell on the most trivial,harmless points in anything.

Thanks Onwis for actually saying something about the uniform!

I actually described the uniform like describing a song. I talked about its elements and gave it a flavor. As opposed to just saying I liked how the stripe goes down the pants. It means I'm a good writer because I got a reaction!

If Mel Brooks did this you would laugh. I'm doing the same thing. It's called being creative! 

(As I type this,I realize you could just be trolling to get a reaction from me as well but I really  don't know)

You're all uniform freaks,right? Surely there's something you've just wanted to spontaneously share. Do it here without fear of needing  a full thread to do it!

Archived