Inaugural Baltimore Ravens Uniform Discourse

1937redskins

I am not seeing the Ravens/Orioles similarity.  The Raven looks determined and angry.  The cartoon bird looks like a cartoon bird.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 Random thoughts:

1) This thread may be lame to you but if it is lame enough it will go to the bottom of the list.  If enough people post it will stay first page.  Either way, why should it bother anyone?  Live and let live as long as the dude isn't coming on telling us how he made $4300 last month from his mom's desk chair in his underwear and he can show us how!

2) The Piston's logo sucks and if they don't change it or if they change it to some variation of the Bad Boys era logo I will be pissed!

3) I hate the Pittsburgh Penguis, but their identity (with the vegas gold) is sweet.

4) Sharks have never won the cup, let's root for them!

5) There is just something about Lebron that rubs me the wrong way.

UMLegend out....

12 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

The Ravens['] original [logos] were more intimidating.

the Current one they obviously were going just a little cartoony in the spirit of the Orioles  old logo

317.gifjohn-adsit-orioles-logo1.png

The Ravens took more than a little inspiration from the helmet of the New York CityHawks of the Arena Football League.

MHNYHA~2.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Maybe a little.  The CityHawks didn't exist until 1996, so the Ravens had the purple and black color scheme first.

The bird head Ravens helmet came later.  However, they already had this logo, which was one of the ones used in fan voting conducted by the Baltimore Sun (and which I voted for because it fit the shape of a helmet better than the others).

nyklgmbbhe362qbke35qmozvf.gif

The current primary logo wasn't even one of the choices.  I think they took the winning logo from the contest than reworked to force in the B . . . and make it purple, etc. . . .

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-02-28/sports/9902280186_1_logo-consisting-ravens-new-logo

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I agree with the OP that the Ravens' inaugural set fits in more with the inspiration for the team name, and with the way ravens are typically shown in popular culture, than any they have had since. Moreover, I'd never really thought of it before reading his post. You guys should cut him some slack

5 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree with the OP that the Ravens' inaugural set fits in more with the inspiration for the team name, and with the way ravens are typically shown in popular culture, than any they have had since. Moreover, I'd never really thought of it before reading his post. You guys should cut him some slack

I am not really seeing that at all.  If anything the use of a shield (albeit a "winged shield") on the helmet detracts from that.  I can see why someone may feel that way about the sleeve logo but that's not nearly as key to their identity as the helmet.

Looking back at those photos, it's really the black pants with the thick white stripe that bug me the most.  I believe they only had them for one year.  Now they use (exclusively?) pants with no stripes and while I don't love those either, they don't just jump out at me like the inaugural pants do.  I don't like the shield logo either.  The sleeve logo is solid and better than the current sleeve logo, but it's not enough to make up for the rest.  And again, I could get on board with the helmet if not for the "B" issue.  Actually, the right-facing logo with the "B" looks good but they should just get rid of the B given what happens on the left side of the helmet.

But as I've said before, I think they have little to work with because of their color scheme.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Make this clear.

I did not give permission to change the title.

This thread is not about the Ravens uniform alone.

it is about anything and everything no specific thread will help contain or be too short for one.

1997-Hillery-Smith-Baltimore-Sun.jpg

500x281

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I am not really seeing that at all.  If anything the use of a shield (albeit a "winged shield") on the helmet detracts from that.  I can see why someone may feel that way about the sleeve logo but that's not nearly as key to their identity as the helmet.

Looking back at those photos, it's really the black pants with the thick white stripe that bug me the most.  I believe they only had them for one year.  Now they use (exclusively?) pants with no stripes and while I don't love those either, they don't just jump out at me like the inaugural pants do.  I don't like the shield logo either.  The sleeve logo is solid and better than the current sleeve logo, but it's not enough to make up for the rest.  And again, I could get on board with the helmet if not for the "B" issue.  Actually, the right-facing logo with the "B" looks good but they should just get rid of the B given what happens on the left side of the helmet.

But as I've said before, I think they have little to work with because of their color scheme.

the second year they changed the stripe

You don't think it looks kind of gothic-ish overall though? I do. That's what I was getting at.

Looking back at those photos, it's really the black pants with the thick white stripe that bug me the most.  I believe they only had them for one year.  Now they use (exclusively?) pants with no stripes and while I don't love those either, they don't just jump out at me like the inaugural pants do.  I don't like the shield logo either.  The sleeve logo is solid and better than the current sleeve logo, but it's not enough to make up for the rest.  And again, I am not really seeing that at all.  If anything the use of a shield (albeit a "winged shield") on the helmet detracts from that.  I can see why someone may feel that way about the sleeve logo but that's not nearly as key to their identity as the helmet.

1.  I always hated the black pants with the huge white stripe.  The 1997 black pants, which had W/P/W stripes were marginally better, but looked they had W/B/W stripes from a distance because the purple is so dark.  I usually don't like stripeless pants for NFL teams, but it's hard to find a good stripe pattern on black pants.  That's why I like the current black pants better than either of the other two sets (which is a textbook example of damning with faint praise).

2.  I loved the sleeve logo on the original set.  However, i also really like the current shield logo.  I'll give the nod to the original in a close race.

3.  I initially hated the winged shield, perhaps because it didn't seem very birdlike (the wings notwithstanding).  Given the lapse in time, it has actually really grown on me.  However, I still like the current one better (even with the B forced awkwardly into the left-facing logo).  That is probably because the shape works better on a helmet.

Beyond OnWis97's points, the biggest advantage the current set has over the originals in the numbers.  Contrary to most people, I really like the current numbers, even with the gold outline and dropshadow.  The original numbers were way too big and looked really clunky with the large serifs.

51asaTwAVEL._SY300_.jpgnaming-baltimore-img.jpg400x225

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

14 hours ago, umlegend1980 said:

5 Random thoughts:

1) This thread may be lame to you but if it is lame enough it will go to the bottom of the list.  If enough people post it will stay first page.  Either way, why should it bother anyone?  Live and let live as long as the dude isn't coming on telling us how he made $4300 last month from his mom's desk chair in his underwear and he can show us how!

2) The Piston's logo sucks and if they don't change it or if they change it to some variation of the Bad Boys era logo I will be pissed!

3) I hate the Pittsburgh Penguis, but their identity (with the vegas gold) is sweet.

4) Sharks have never won the cup, let's root for them!

5) There is just something about Lebron that rubs me the wrong way.

UMLegend out....

1. Somewhere in the Lounge

2. NBA uniform thread

3. NHL uniform thread

4. NHL season/playoff thread

5. "Players you hate" thread

You're 5 little random thoughts belong in other threads, AND they're there to help keep the boards less cluttered. Could you imagine if the Boards were only like this thread? There's a reason why we have the specific thread topics... But obviously you and @1937redskins know better right? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

1.  I always hated the black pants with the huge white stripe.  The 1997 black pants, which had W/P/W stripes were marginally better, but looked they had W/B/W stripes from a distance because the purple is so dark.  I usually don't like stripeless pants for NFL teams, but it's hard to find a good stripe pattern on black pants.  That's why I like the current black pants better than either of the other two sets (which is a textbook example of damning with faint praise).

2.  I loved the sleeve logo on the original set.  However, i also really like the current shield logo.  I'll give the nod to the original in a close race.

3.  I initially hated the winged shield, perhaps because it didn't seem very birdlike (the wings notwithstanding).  Given the lapse in time, it has actually really grown on me.  However, I still like the current one better (even with the B forced awkwardly into the left-facing logo).  That is probably because the shape works better on a helmet.

Beyond OnWis97's points, the biggest advantage the current set has over the originals in the numbers.  Contrary to most people, I really like the current numbers, even with the gold outline and dropshadow.  The original numbers were way too big and looked really clunky with the large serifs.

As I was looking at photos, that what I thought.  I know I've said it a lot, but it cannot be overstated, the black and dark purple are a terrible match.

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

As I was looking at photos, that what I thought.  I know I've said it a lot, but it cannot be overstated, the black and dark purple are a terrible match.

I agree for just about any other team.  I think the combo works for a team named the Ravens since . . . 

raven-012.jpg

I've seen (and posted) a picture showing the purple sheen much better, but I couldn't find it via Google.

Also, I happened to find this while looking for a picture of a Raven (from DustDevil61)

5368779068_aef67c8904.jpg

What might have been . . . 

38 minutes ago, 1937redskins said:

Make this clear.

I did not give permission to change the title.

This thread is not about the Ravens uniform alone.

it is about anything and everything no specific thread will help contain or be too short for one.

Someone is trying to explain to you that isn't how these threads work.  For your "anything and everything" you'll have to start new threads each time.  I have a feeling that if you don't, a moderator will just do it for you.

Besides, "Inaugural Baltimore Ravens Uniform Discourse" is an awesome thread title.

21 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

1. Somewhere in the Lounge

2. NBA uniform thread

3. NHL uniform thread

4. NHL season/playoff thread

5. "Players you hate" thread

You're 5 little random thoughts belong in other threads, AND they're there to help keep the boards less cluttered. Could you imagine if the Boards were only like this thread? There's a reason why we have the specific thread topics... But obviously you and @1937redskins know better right? 

the league threads are nothing but clutter though.

someone says something about a Pacers uni and it gets lost after random comments about other teams.

If you really want to break it down. If you really want to get hardcore about the science/creativity/history of uniforms.

Each team should have a thread of its own in a league section and people would be allowed to add defunct team threads in that specific sport/league section.

this thread may die and that's fine but i'm going to experiment with it a bit and see if it leads me to another idea or thought.

I ,like you, enjoy babbling about this stuff:D but I dont want to get lost in the clutter or told you dont need to make a thread about the Packers when someone else did

even though their angle or observations had nothing to do with mine.

But obviously you and 1937redskins  know better right? 

testing the status quo  is never a bad thing..even though i'm one of those people that hates change:lol:

Brooklyn-Dodgers-ugly-uniforms.jpg

There's no reason that you can't start a team-specific thread when you have an observation worth sharing.  Or you could do a simple search to see if anyone else has recently made a thread for it. 

Strange that you would decry cluttered, scattered conversations to defend a thread intended to serve as the dumping ground for everyone's random thoughts on everything. You think you can't follow those conversations, wait until this one hits a few more pages.  It's simply unworkable. 

As a fan of the Ravens since 1996, I never once made the connection to Nazis, goth rockers, or bikers.   I'm not sure how anyone could even come up with something like that. I will say that the original uniforms were terrible and are much better now.

I'm still curious how they look like SS uniforms, or Nazi SS clubs - still not sure what the first post means. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm still curious how they look like SS uniforms, or Nazi SS clubs - still not sure what the first post means. 

it means they are comparable to/it reminds me of military uniforms.

the original helmet crest and the Raven on the  sleeve

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsadler

very Royal,very militaristic

59445_03_lg.jpg

227884.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

Um you know the Ravens are birds right? And it makes sense to have said bird on their uniform. Them being majorily purple takes them looking like SS uniforms completely out of the equation. They get their look from the Edgar Allen Poe poem "The Raven". That explains the dark colors, and the gothic styled numbers (not goth). The black with purple colors comes from Ravens having black feathers with a purple sheen to them.

Archived