Inaugural Baltimore Ravens Uniform Discourse

1937redskins

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:21 AM, C-Squared said:

Ich mag es nicht, diese uniform.

Like Jacksonville, the original set isn't bad, but found its groove after a few seasons of fine-tuning. It always bothered me as a kid that a team with a home run mascot-able name like "Ravens" chose such a stoic, unspectacular crest as their primary logo. This original set had a drab visage that felt more at home as the antagonist team in a late 90's football movie than on an NFL field. Clearly, its up for debate, but I've always felt their 2nd attempt was a major upgrade.

Stoic, drab, unspectacular...like the poem "The Raven," at least till the narrator goes crazy. I think the inaugural set was a good tribute to Poe. You could almost see that crest upon the House of Usher or the grounds of the royal family from "The Masque of the Red Death." Perhaps it could have built to something spectacular somewhere on one of the uniforms, but an over-the-top design would've been anti-Poe and, thus, against the inspiration for the team name.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the fact they they changed pants stripes in year 2 makes all the excuses about the Rams not changing yet,a bunch of bull.

theres no rule about time frame to get new uni's.

its when ever they feel like it.

they do it with every expansion team in every sport now.At least since the 90s.

the initial uni is intended not to last more than a couple years so they can get people to double down, buying new merch.

they are allowed to make minor changes. Also this was back in the 90's where the rules weren't as strict and didn't have league wide apparel deals to deal with. Changing a pants stripe changes nothing merchandise wise for teams. 

41 minutes ago, dont care said:

they are allowed to make minor changes. Also this was back in the 90's where the rules weren't as strict and didn't have league wide apparel deals to deal with. Changing a pants stripe changes nothing merchandise wise for teams. 

a change is a change is a change. Its a pretend wannabe rule.

Billionaires make up their own rules as they go along because they simply can.

2 hours ago, 1937redskins said:

a change is a change is a change. Its a pretend wannabe rule.

Billionaires make up their own rules as they go along because they simply can.

But no one buys the official pant's that the team wears... :rolleyes:

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, vicfurth said:

But have you ever tried stuffed crust pizza?

not yet.

I prefer the mom n pop places now anyway.

They actually put an abundance of toppings on a pizza as opposed to 2 pieces of pepperoni

on each slice of a whole pizza. They use less salt than a chain joint

Sidebar since the Jags were brought up and their identity issues. They kept making all these odd minor changes. 

They had this in their first year. Great solid looking number font. 

Vinnie-Clark.jpg?id=eec2256a-8181-473f-8

Then in a couple years, they changed that font, adjusted the pants stripes and added a one-year only black side panel. 

49ers-Jaguars-1997-004.jpg

And after that font switch, their numbers on the road whites went from teal to black. 

fa925ec1da38fca84d1a80d4788cdee7.jpg04-Wk12-Jags-Vikings-075.jpg

Oh and they wore these black pants for one season and one season with these white pants. 

tly9jhO.jpg

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccane

Go A's!

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't think stuffed crust pizza is that good of an idea in any situation, but if you let it get a little closer to room temperature before eating it, its a nightmare.

I'm a super thin crust guy myself.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

On 5/29/2016 at 3:35 PM, MCM0313 said:

Stoic, drab, unspectacular...like the poem "The Raven," at least till the narrator goes crazy. I think the inaugural set was a good tribute to Poe. You could almost see that crest upon the House of Usher or the grounds of the royal family from "The Masque of the Red Death." Perhaps it could have built to something spectacular somewhere on one of the uniforms, but an over-the-top design would've been anti-Poe and, thus, against the inspiration for the team name.

A fitting tribute to a dreary poem does not a great uniform make. Their current set is a much more appropriate middle ground.

16 hours ago, WavePunter said:

If you can stuff more toppings on the inside, I'm all for it.. Should come with an extra quart of marinara to dunk it in though

Eh, I'm in the "crust gets in the way" camp. That is, until I try Chicago deep dish.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

11 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Everyone realizes that if this veers off into a pizza discussion, 1937redskins wins, right?

But if we don't let this veer off into a pizza discussion, the terrorists win.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived