Do Uniforms Matter to Recruits?

OnWis97

http://picksixpreviews.com/fashion-wars.html

The above link is to a non-scientific poll of football 100 recruits.  It asked them about the importance of uniforms to their decision, how much they like the manufacturers, and which team has the best and worst uniforms.

Again, just asking 100 people is hardly scientific, so everything should be taken with a grain of salt.  More "false" than "true" replies were given to the question of whether the uniforms will impact the choice of school, though it's closer than some may have expected.

No surprise that Nike's the favorite brand.

Oregon won the "best uniform" question by a mile.  And, depending on your definition of "traditional" the only "traditional uniforms to receive more than one vote were Ohio State (3) and Notre Dame (2).

And the top two "worst" vote getters were traditional/non-flashy Alabama and Penn State.  My gut reaction to this was "sure, but there'll also be some that love them, as opposed to, say Bowling Green, which won't get any love."  But neither received a first-place vote.

Maryland is the most polarizing, receiving five votes each for  "best" and "worst."

Biggest surprise was to see Michigan with three "worst" votes to only one "best."  But for all I know, Ohio was well-represented.

Anyway, this seems a bit too informal to really "prove" anything, but maybe it provides some insight.  Or is at least interesting to people like us.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here the way I see it. Uniforms/ manufactures play a very minor part to a recruits decision, but it's still a part. The major parts are what they get for scholarships, coaches success, academic pedigree, Ect will uniforms make or break a recruits commitment to a school probably not, but if there are 2 pretty much equal schools with one having better uniforms to the kid and the other doesn't have as good uniforms they will probably choose the first school.

Don´t know about football, also because the jersey is not much more that a shirt with huge numbers everywhere, but i am 100 % certain that a hockey player at the NHL draft rather would pull a chicago blackhawks jersey over the head then a, lets say, a tampa or nashville jersey. 

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Don´t know about football, also because the jersey is not much more that a shirt with huge numbers everywhere, but i am 100 % certain that a hockey player at the NHL draft rather would pull a chicago blackhawks jersey over the head then a, lets say, a tampa or nashville jersey. 

Maybe. Though other factors such as hometown and how likely they'll be able to get good ice time on the big club matter.

Then by the time they become free agents, I doubt too many of 'em are giving a "good uniform" discount to join the Bruins over a higher-paying team.  But with college, in theory, there's not money to offset it so maybe it becomes a tie-breaker?  

Regarding the bold, I guess that's not true, given the overwhelming love Oregon received.  It's also the helmets.  The entire look is a brand and we're seeing how some teams are making it speak volumes (Oregon) while others are using it convey tradition (Alabama). There's plenty there that could lead players to have preferences...the questions are what those preferences are and how much that matters.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

44 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

And the top two "worst" vote getters were traditional/non-flashy Alabama and Penn State

And yet Alabama has still attracted top 5 recruiting classes every year for what feels like forever.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

15 minutes ago, Thomas said:

But how much of that is because the Hawks have won 3 cups in the last 7 seasons? The crux of the question is where uniforms fall in the list of factors a potential player uses to decide where to go. I'm sure if you would asked hockey players in a circa 2000 draft, very few of them would want to be putting on a Blackhawks jersey instead of a Devils, Red Wings, or Avalanche jersey.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 minutes ago, waltere said:

And yet Alabama has still attracted top 5 recruiting classes every year for what feels like forever.

Right.  That says something.  Probably that places like Oregon get the occasional recruit because of uniforms but 'Bama loses little to nothing of significance.

That was only five "worst" votes out of 100.  And I bet four of those five would go to Alabama if they could.  Or at least choose elsewhere for non-uni reasons.

POTD (Shared)

I'd say that, like many other factors, it matters a lot to some recruits, a little to most, and not at all to a few. It has a lot of other things to compete with: Proximity, campus size, academic reputation, programs offered (if the player already knows what he wants to major in), athletic facilities, fan base, school culture, chance of going pro, campus setting...the list goes on. I'd say that for a lot of football players who are not entertaining aspirations of a pro career, it's just "whoever offers me a scholarship" and maybe what programs are offered or school culture or setting as a tiebreaker, because often that will only be a couple schools.

It's definitely academics #1. After all we are talking about student-athletes here, and not a bunch of minor leaguers who do nothing but obsess of making it into the league and being paid millions of dollars. There's a certain sanctity to amateur sports that I truly believe commitment to their institution of higher learning is in the heart of every 5 star recruit when making such choices.

I bet it's a tiebreaker way way way down the list...the kids love a lot of different uniforms and different looks and that's more things they can enjoy, they can be flashy and whatnot.

I think traditional look colleges like Penn State and Alabama need to do some major advertising work pointing out what the NFL knows, that putting on that basic, bland jersey is an honor - it's the same jersey worn by hundreds of other legendary players, that it's a shared legacy, that you're part of something bigger.  

It might not be as flashy and unique as Oregon, but the traditional teams are missing the boat on this one.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

15 minutes ago, guest23 said:

It's definitely academics #1. After all we are talking about student-athletes here, and not a bunch of minor leaguers who do nothing but obsess of making it into the league and being paid millions of dollars. There's a certain sanctity to amateur sports that I truly believe commitment to their institution of higher learning is in the heart of every 5 star recruit when making such choices.

I'm sorry, sir, I can't understand you. You'll have to take your tongue out of your cheek.

Seriously, though, we aren't talking only about five-star recruits.

Just now, KittSmith_95 said:

Wow. OREGON? I wonder what these 100 people were smoking. I kinda want some if it means I'll find Oregon's jersey's attractive.

I'll admit, some of the Ducks' combinations have grown on me, and I loved their more traditional look.

Just now, MCM0313 said:

I'll admit, some of the Ducks' combinations have grown on me, and I loved their more traditional look.

The truth is, the idea isn't awful. It's just it's such a mishmashed mess with too many options for my tastes. If the streamlined it and went back to the traditional green and yellow used, I could live with it. The volt green and black are atrocious.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i dont have much to add here. just posting a few tweets from Jeremy Darlow (author of Brands Win Championships) and Matt Lange, Alabama CD

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 3.55.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-25 at 4.01.07 PM.png

As we've seen time and time again the biggest thing that turns a program around is coaching, which in turn brings in bowl money, which in turn brings in alumni donations, which allows for facility upgrades. Uniforms happen usually a season or two after a school makes a big bowl game.  Look at examples like boise, tcu and others. They all made their big national statements wearing the catalog uniforms and only became nike elite programs several years afterward. If you look at things sequentially, uniforms really are a lagging indicator of upstart success.

I don't think you want a kid on your team who's there for the most part because you have cool uniforms. I don't think real coaches lose any sleep over recruits not playing for them because they don't have chrome or satin helmets

2 hours ago, Mingjai said:

But how much of that is because the Hawks have won 3 cups in the last 7 seasons? The crux of the question is where uniforms fall in the list of factors a potential player uses to decide where to go. I'm sure if you would asked hockey players in a circa 2000 draft, very few of them would want to be putting on a Blackhawks jersey instead of a Devils, Red Wings, or Avalanche jersey.

I am not so sure about that, a classic jersey like the hawk´s is most kids dream team to play for, well perhaps mostly US and european born kids B)

Archived