NHL Double Series (final updates)

StevenGrant94

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd apologize for the amount of time since my last concept, but it seems I always take this long nowadays.

My Ideal Toronto Maple Leafs:

Toronto-ISet.png

I don't dislike the Maple Leafs new jerseys, but they're not my ideal look for them.  If I was in charge, I would base the Leafs' jerseys off of their 1958-67 set.  I choose their new number font mostly just to try it out.

New Look Toronto Maple Leafs:

Toronto-NSet.png

For some reason I had the idea to add giant leafs behind the sleeve numbers.  Then I added more leafs lower on the sleeves, and on the pants.  I decided to make the hem stripe straight across on this concept since the sleeves stripes are straight across.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

My Ideal Buffalo Sabres:

Buffalo-ISet.png

My ideal Sabres jerseys are their classic jerseys.  The only noteworthy change I made was matching the hem stripe to the sleeve stripes on the road jersey.

New Look Buffalo Sabres:

Buffalo-NSet.png

For this concept I was trying to see if the Sabres "B/Sword" logo could work as the primary logo (I'll let you judge how well it worked).  I also brought back the Buffaslug as the secondary logo.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

Aaaand, those ideal Sabres are absolutely perfect. (It seems like I'm repeating myself a lot here.)

You've convinced me that the best modern Sabres set comes with a tonne of stripes. Amazingly done, although I wouldn't mind another set of stripes on the hem. Only, why, WHY the Buffaslug?

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

The buffaslug should stay dead. As good as the second one looks, a blue/gold version of the Goathead jerseys would probably have been a better fit.

In fact, I think using a blue/gold version of the goathead on the shoulders, or the white buffalo from the primary logo, would be a better shoulder logo than the buffaslug.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thank you both for the feedback (and sorry for the delayed reply), here is a version with more hem stripes and no Buffaslug.

Qbf6HxC.png

On 7/22/2016 at 4:55 AM, ldconcepts said:

Aaaand, those ideal Sabres are absolutely perfect. (It seems like I'm repeating myself a lot here.)

You've convinced me that the best modern Sabres set comes with a tonne of stripes. Amazingly done, although I wouldn't mind another set of stripes on the hem. Only, why, WHY the Buffaslug?

This was the best I could do adding another set of hem stripes.  I'm not completely sold on them, I almost think there's too much yellow now.  Maybe I'm wrong though.

On 7/22/2016 at 9:41 AM, hockey week said:

The buffaslug should stay dead. As good as the second one looks, a blue/gold version of the Goathead jerseys would probably have been a better fit.

In fact, I think using a blue/gold version of the goathead on the shoulders, or the white buffalo from the primary logo, would be a better shoulder logo than the buffaslug.

I completely agree with you that the Buffaslug shouldn't return in real life, I was just curious how it would look as a shoulder patch so I used it for the concept.  For the update I choose the Sabres current logo as the secondary, because I'm not a fan of either the goat-head or the white buffalo on its own.

Hopefully I'll have the next team done soon, I've already finished the "New Look" concept.

My Ideal Los Angeles Kings:

LosAngeles-ISet.png

These are a different take on the Kings current uniforms.  The piping is shaped like the yokes on their 1980-88 jerseys.

New Look Los Angeles Kings:

LosAngeles-NSet.png

For the second concept I wanted to try a purple and white colour scheme.  The crown is from their 1988-98 logo.

wow. I'm stunned, because it's excellent. I'm sure there'll be people saying that the white should be gold in the second concept, but it really looks great. Either of those would be perfect long-term for the Kings. 

I didn't understand the striping on the top one at first, but then it clicked and it blends the Cup Era piping with the shouldered jerseys of the 80s and the basic stripes of the 90s, which is pretty genius, especially with the 2000s logo. It's really inspired. 

Meanwhile, the second set is truly beautiful. That's how you reinvent the original, even better than how the Sabres did with their original logo and the current one. Amazing.

Anyway, this concept series where you don't have to mix or choose eras, you can have "the right look" or "the classic look" AND "the new look" or "the modern look" too, you can have your cake and eat it. I hope you keep going with this and really do the idea justice. I sure wish I had thought of it (but doubt I could come up with things this good).

I prefer purple and white over purple and gold, but I think gold accents on your new look would put this concept over the top.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Thanks for the comments!  And sorry it's been more than a month since the last concept, I'll try not to let that happen again.

My Ideal Philadelphia Flyers:

Philadelphia-ISet.png

I think the Flyers current jerseys are some of the best in the NHL, so I barely made any changes.  The biggest difference is both jerseys now use a white nameplate, so it only contrasts on the home jersey.  I also made the collar inserts the same colour as the rest of the jersey.

New Look Philadelphia Flyers:

Philadelphia-NSet.png

The New Look concept provided a bit of a challenge, because I didn't want to use their normal sleeve design, but I still wanted it to fit the Flyers identity.  I decided to take their contrasting nameplates and make it part of the striping pattern.  I then made the end of those stripes match the shape of the wings in their logo, and did the same with the horizontal part of the four.

For the first time, I'm truly not a fan. The first set is perfect, the second isn't. The yoke is massive and clunky, and that's not something that works with the Flyers as an organization or with their name. I think you need to go back to the drawing board on the second set, maybe look to the 2000s Wild for ideas or if you want something new, adapt Oregon Ducks wings to hockey in a tasteful way. The sleeve striping isn't bad, especially on the white, but that yoke...

• 1 month later...

My Ideal Minnesota Wild:

Minnesota-ISet.png

The Wild's road jersey has quickly become one of my favourite white jerseys in the NHL, so I kept it basically unchanged (the laces are different) and then altered their green jersey to be a better match.

New Look Minnesota Wild:

Minnesota-NSet.png

Since the Wild have used both red and green as their main colour in the past, I decided to create two jerseys that use red and green equally.  Both striping patterns are based off of their primary logo, the jagged lines on the home jersey are inspired by the logo's jagged outline, and the road jersey uses the trees from that logo.

By the way, it may be quite a while before I get to the next concept in this series (even longer than normal), but I continue with this series at some point.

3 minutes ago, Grant94 said:

My Ideal Minnesota Wild:

Minnesota-ISet.png

The Wild's road jersey has quickly become one of my favourite white jerseys in the NHL, so I kept it basically unchanged (the laces are different) and then altered their green jersey to be a better match.

New Look Minnesota Wild:

Minnesota-NSet.png

Since the Wild have used both red and green as their main colour in the past, I decided to create two jerseys that use red and green equally.  Both striping patterns are based off of their primary logo, the jagged lines on the home jersey are inspired by the logo's jagged outline, and the road jersey uses the trees from that logo.

By the way, it may be quite a while before I get to the next concept in this series (even longer than normal), but I continue with this series at some point.

Minnesota is just WAAAYYY TOO out there for me to like

Archived