Your Dream uniform Match-ups That Did Happen But are Gone Forever

1937redskins

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, 1937redskins said:

I'm not making fun of the other thread.

Just taking more of a reminiscent,sentimental  history angle.

920x920.jpg

alonzo_highsmith_1989_10_08.jpg

Humphrey.jpg

Moon-era Oilers versus Pat Patriot was gonna be one of my picks. Just such a visually appealing matchup. Good choice.

I've mentioned many times before that I miss seeing Maryland vs North Carolina football matchups because I like seeing their colors against each other. Early 2000s MD/UNC basketball matchups were pretty good looking too.

656593-jan-2001-mike-mardesich-of-the-ma730187-feb-2001-juan-dixon-of-the-maryla

Hotter Than July > Thriller

39 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Moon-era Oilers versus Pat Patriot was gonna be one of my picks. Just such a visually appealing matchup. Good choice.

Just for the record,

Pastorini  wore them long  before  Moon. There may have been no sheen  on the pants though. But I get what you mean

45 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

But why is Pat wearing  a blue coat and the team a red jersey?

Red coats were the enemy I thought? Lol

Still liked them though

Houston Oilers vs anyone...still hate the fact they are gone. Love the Texans but until they have a qb the caliber of any oiler era plus a fist fight on the sideline between coaches I'll always be an oiler fan and always relocate the Titans to Houston in madden

Yes, Houston Oilers vs anyone.  This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.  I will always regret that these two teams were each one win away from this being the uniform matchup for Super Bowl XIV.

football-houston-oilers-earl-campbell-in

Speaking of Houston, how about Reds vs Astros, 1971?  Both teams were wearing their best looks ever at that time.  The two guys in this photo were traded for one another the following winter, by the way.

second-baseman-joe-morgan-of-the-houston

First one to come to me in each sport:

• NHL: North Stars (N-Star) vs. Devils (Christmas colors).  With either team at home.  Each team's dark uniform was better but their whites were great too.  I was able to attend a Devils (Red) at North Stars (white) game and spend one period a couple rows behind the Devils bench (long story).  
  • NBA: Original Miami Heat at Irish Rainbow Bucks.  Has to be at Milwaukee because while each team's road uniform is superior, the Miami dropoff is huge...Both Milwaukee uniforms were great.
  • NFL: Creamsicle Bucs at Original Tiger-Stripe Bengals.  This works in Tampa or Cincy, but I think Cincy has the bigger drop-off to its white uniform.
  • MLB: Goin' tacky with powder-blue Phillies at Tequila Sunrise Astros.  I am a MLB traditionalist but I do have a soft spot for the weird 80s era I grew up with.  I like to see both of these uniforms even if they should not exist. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Yes, Houston Oilers vs anyone.  This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.  I will always regret that these two teams were each one win away from this being the uniform matchup for Super Bowl XIV.

football-houston-oilers-earl-campbell-in

Speaking of Houston, how about Reds vs Astros, 1971?  Both teams were wearing their best looks ever at that time.  The two guys in this photo were traded for one another the following winter, by the way.

second-baseman-joe-morgan-of-the-houston

Actually it would've been Oilers in blue versus Buccaneers in white, would it not?

It's true the AFC team had the choice of jerseys for the Super Bowl that concluded that 1979 season, so that would have been the Oilers.  I have no idea what their preferences were at that time, but I assume they would have chosen the blue jersey.  Either way, it would have been beautiful.

Consolation prize was that we got to see those classic Rams uniforms in the Super Bowl that year.  Still, going from 0-26 to the Super Bowl in two years would have been historic for the Bucs.  They were my second-favorite team from 1976-96.  After the uniform change I became indifferent.

I just want the stupid one-helmet rule to go away so we can see the creamsicles on the field again.

Or, more likely (due to incompetence of the NFL), the Glazers come to their senses and drop this digital pirate crap and bring back the orange full time.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

matthew_featherstone_2009_11_21.jpg

I'm one of the few who liked the grey stripe on the pants (and the grey pants for that matter) and the white facemasks on the maroon helmet (to me) looks better than the grey facemasks of current. AND THE BIG LETTERS.

Also something about the simple, clean look for baylor in the all white. I like it.

Archived