Alright, the next team I had on my plate was the Minnesota Twins (sorry @coco1997, I'll get to your Sox next).  It was tough because here is a team with yet another red and blue color scheme, but it was very much part of their history.  Having been the original Washington Senators, the color scheme of red, white, and blue was all they ever had.

So trying to find a color identity for the Twins was tough.  So in trying to get some inspiration, I was looking at the NHL color combos and thought to myself "Hey, what if the Twins had the same color palette as the Wild?"  So that is what I did.  Minnesota Twins/Wild fusion!

So the home puts and emphasis on red, while the road pushes the green.  When we come to the alt, the gold color is used more in the lettering and numbers, while that gold is only used in the cap TC logo.

Twins%20Home_zps2vo0vqoo.png

Twins%20Road_zpsi50yruaf.png

Twins%20Home%20alt_zps0yrwmnsz.png

Twins%20Road%20alt_zpsqb3ykokc.png

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've found my new favorite Twins concept from these forums! Seriously, this is a GREAT color scheme for Minnesota. Borrowing from the Wild was a genius idea. My only worry is that the road alt is a little Athletics-ish, but I guess the red is enough to set it apart. 

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the Sox next!

This is great work, on Minnesota. The colors work well, and while very few cities can pull off a single color scheme, ala Pittsburgh, I'm a big fan of partnerships between baseball and hockey clubs, since their seasons have almost no real overlap.

I would totally buy that home jersey.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

This is definitely an interesting and original take on fixing the color scheme for Minnesota. Personally, I'm not a fan of green & red being used for a Minnesota team, as it's always felt much more like a south-western scheme to me. If it were up to me, I'd go with a Timberwolves blue, green, and black scheme, but otherwise nice job, especially being willing to go out there with it.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Any chance of seeing the White Sox soon? 

Yes, how about now.  I was on vacation and I just returned yesterday, so sorry about the Chi-sox delay.

The home and away are almost spot perfect with the White Sox, as far as I'm concerned.  The only thing that really bugs me is that they need white socks.  But when you put white socks on the current uniform it does not quite look right.  Not horrible, but not as good as the use of the black socks.  So I thought the best solution, for the Sox, is to go full retro and sport the stirrups!  I also eliminated the use of silver in the design palette.

White%20Sox%20Home_zpscrtajjhq.png

White%20Sox%20Road_zpsyrltsg8j.png

The road alt is a simple switch of the jersey to a black with white trim.  This could be also used at home, but I went a little different direction for the home alternate.

White%20Sox%20Road%20alt_zpsgdea8gjs.png

The home alt I combined a few era looks.  I mixed a script logo from 1987 and colors from the 30s and 70s.  I wanted something that broke away from the black and white theme of the rest of the design and highlight certain elements of the Sox past.  I'm still 50/50 on the placket pipping.

White%20Sox%20Home%20alt_zps7mf6aujd.png

So that is my take on the White Sox.

Nice to see you back in action! The White Sox look great. It took them about ninety years to find a look that's perfect for them, so I'm glad you didn't change much. 

I really like that home alternate. You don't see many concepts (in fact, this might be the first) based on their short-lived late '80s set. The placket piping is nice, but it looks a little muddled with the script going across it. The other thing that's throwing me off is the black diamond patch. Maybe consider replacing the black with blue. 

With the AL Central now finished, could we possibly see the rest of the NL East?

Very solid design! I really like what you did  with the home alternate. I agree with @coco1997, the diamond patch should match the set. Along with the MLB logos on the first three. Also, I'd like to see the same leg piping on the sleeves of the road set (and alternate, if you like). Great work! 

25 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Maybe it's just my screen but you said you eliminated silver from the color pallet but it looks like the outline on the home jersey S-o-x, the numbers, and the trim on the road alt look like they're silver. 

Am I just misreading it?

It looks like he replaced the silver trim with white trim. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I have been away for a while.  Moved to a new house and frankly forgot to finish up on my thread.  I did not originally intend to do all 30 MLB teams, as I was just looking at a handful of teams that just needed to be worked on (aka Marlins, Padres, and Diamondbacks).  Needless to say I found things, even if they were small niggly things, that could be tweaked and bring about a better uniform (in my view).

Anyways, here is the Boston Red Sox.

Red%20Sox%20Home_zps8wqojl37.png

Red%20Sox%20Home%20Alt_zpsd7vtw0hj.png

Red%20Sox%20Road_zpstoqykyzp.png

Red%20Sox%20Road%20Alt_zpsai5fnzmy.png

Not a ton of changes to a classic uniform.  The big thing for me, as is in all my uniforms, is constancy between all elements.  Numbers and letters should match from front to back.  So the biggest change is using a font style for the back numbers that match the Sox's script font.  I still kept the tradition of not putting names on the backs of Home jerseys.

The home alt is a nod to past Sox uniforms that sported the red cap.  I went heavier on the red in the uniform to go with the red crown.

That is Boston, let me know what you think.

On 9/6/2016 at 11:40 AM, davidrpaige said:

Yes, how about now.  I was on vacation and I just returned yesterday, so sorry about the Chi-sox delay.

The home and away are almost spot perfect with the White Sox, as far as I'm concerned.  The only thing that really bugs me is that they need white socks.  But when you put white socks on the current uniform it does not quite look right.  Not horrible, but not as good as the use of the black socks.  So I thought the best solution, for the Sox, is to go full retro and sport the stirrups!  I also eliminated the use of silver in the design palette.

White%20Sox%20Home_zpscrtajjhq.png

White%20Sox%20Road_zpsyrltsg8j.png

The road alt is a simple switch of the jersey to a black with white trim.  This could be also used at home, but I went a little different direction for the home alternate.

White%20Sox%20Road%20alt_zpsgdea8gjs.png

The home alt I combined a few era looks.  I mixed a script logo from 1987 and colors from the 30s and 70s.  I wanted something that broke away from the black and white theme of the rest of the design and highlight certain elements of the Sox past.  I'm still 50/50 on the placket pipping.

White%20Sox%20Home%20alt_zps7mf6aujd.png

So that is my take on the White Sox.

This is excellent.

Why did you get rid of the front numbers on the home, road and black alt? And as others noted, the diamond logo on the alternate needs to be re-colored in blue and red. Or, gasp, replace it with the batterman. The sleeves on the gray jersey should also have the trim.

Regardless, if the Sox unveiled this tomorrow I'd be very happy.

On 12/4/2016 at 1:49 PM, coco1997 said:

I believe you said you also had a few more expansion teams in the pipeline?

Sure, let's start with the obligatory Montreal Expos "They should come back" post.  Well, they should.  The fans only abandoned the Expos after the owners and MLB royally screwed with that team.  There is support there, as long as they don't become the farm system for the rest of MLB again.

For the most part, I think Montreal had one of the strongest sets in MLB before they transplanted to DC.  So I'm keeping most of those element in place.  One thing I wanted to bring back was the tri-colored hat.  I switched the positions of the red and the blue, liking the red on the bill.  The Home Alt is a nod to the early years of the Expos, which I always think of as the Gary Carter years.

Expos%20Home_zpsdliap1gr.png

Expos%20Home%20Alt_zpsmgksk559.png

The road uniforms also follow past Expos designs.  I did nothing radical here.  The Road Alternate is bright red jersey, which should look sharp out on the field.

Expos%20Road_zpszwejyc33.png

Expos%20Road%20Alt_zpsyczm1fnc.png

So that is the return of Montreal, what do you think?

Glad to see you back, @davidrpaige. I love that you're never afraid to push to envelope. I like the Red Sox concept and the consistency throughout, though I'm sure their number font is 'untouchable.' I'm also glad you did the Expos...whom never should've left. I agree with @coco1997 about the cap on the pinstripes. As always, great work! 

Ok, now I can't unsee the white panel against the pinstripes.  It does look a bit odd now that I stare at it.  The tricolor hat can be for the Home Alt while the Home can utilize an all blue cap.

Expos%20Home_zpsmjalcfds.png

Moving on to a new team, let's look at a team I love to loathe.  I really hate the Mets.  I hate them on so many levels.  In the case of this site, I hate trying to make primary blue and orange looking good together.  Sadly, that is a tough job, so you just have to dive in the toxic pool that is their color palette and embrace it.

The home is a simple embrace of their history of pinstripes.  The home set puts a larger emphasis on the Dodger blue while keeping the Giant orange as trim.

Mets%20Home_zpshbkgffik.png

The Home Alt is a simple jersey swap.  I went full blown orange burning out the retinas look.

Mets%20Home%20Alt_zpsgyom7lpx.png

The Road set is again pretty simple and straight forward.  I tried really hard to utilize the 1987 New York cursive script, but it just never looked right.

Mets%20Road_zpsyirt6z1h.png

The Road Alt I decided to go a blue jersey with a chest logo.

Mets%20Road%20Alt_zpsyhblq8me.png

Outside of the Road Alt, I eschewed with front numbers on the jerseys.  I personally don't like doing front numbers, I usually think they clutter up the design.  I will use them to create a balance in the uniform.  If the chest script is at a sever angle, creating a lot of negative space to the lower right, then I tend to use a number to balance it out.  I'm not 100% consistent on that, but that is usually the guidelines that I follow.  The Mets' script, in my opinion, is not creating enough negative space to warrant a number.  Of course, following that logic, I shouldn't have numbers on the Expos jerseys, but I added it anyways.  So there you go.

Anyways, that is the Mets.

Archived