The Halos concept is really unique and well-executed. I love it!!!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm enjoying this series so far.

I agree about Angels' name, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is way too long, Anaheim Angels sounds better. I also love the colour change you made for them, but I think fans may not like it.

Ok, one of the 2 no brainer MLB expansion cities is going to be Charlotte (along with Portland).  The growth and demographics makes it a shoe in for MLB.  Now, wether it will be relocation (I'm looking at you Tampa Bay) or expansion is the burning question.

Well, if they create a new team I think they should look at an old identity used in Charlotte: The Bobcats.  The poor Bobcats never had a chance as a brand.  Everyone wanted the Hornets back in Charlotte and nothing else would do.  Now the Bobcats didn't start out on the right foot.  That denim blue and pale burnt orange was pretty nasty combo.  Everything looked so washed out.  Unfortunately for the brand, they were getting it right finally before it got the official axe.

I always felt that the Charlotte Bobcats brand looked more like a baseball identity then a basketball one, so that is what I did.  I adapted the colors of their final years and created the Charlotte Bobcats Baseball Club!

Home and Away:

Cats%20Home_zps2ttmafgd.png

Cats%20Away_zpstxdmmrme.png

Home Alternate which puts the arm patch front and center:

Cats%20Home%20alt_zpsbg5caud0.png

Away Alternate which puts the Charlotte C from the hat up front and center:

Cats%20Away%20Alt_zpspnjhywye.png

Close up looks at the Charlotte bobcat head as well as the Charlotte C:

Cats%20logo_zpsshsg9yes.png

Charlotte%20C%20patch_zpspiorh1io.png

So, what do you think about Charlotte?

8 hours ago, Jvhn177 said:

I really like the idea and concepts, but this one would never happen imo

I agree. One of the problems fans and even non-fans had with the name was that one of the part owners, Bob Johnson, named the team after himself. Another reason why this wouldn't happen is that the NBA would never let the MLB take their logos and everything. 

What Jvhn177 said, the concept is great, but would never happen in real life.

10 hours ago, Jvhn177 said:

I really like the idea and concepts, but this one would never happen imo

1 hour ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

I agree. One of the problems fans and even non-fans had with the name was that one of the part owners, Bob Johnson, named the team after himself. Another reason why this wouldn't happen is that the NBA would never let the MLB take their logos and everything. 

What Jvhn177 said, the concept is great, but would never happen in real life.

Then you'll hate my next concept when i recycle the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Come on guys.  Telling me that this won't happen is like trying to inform me that the sky is blue and the grass is green.  I know this would never happen, this is a concept page.  I personally think there is a lot of sports identities out there that are in the wrong sports, so sometimes I like to "fix" that and make a concept of it.

Aside from the fact that it won't happen, do you have any other critiques?  I know I have small issues with the Home Alternate and how I have the orange against the light semi-Carolina blue.  Those two colors just don't mix well together.  I really focused on only having the dark blue and orange touch each other throughout the concept except on the Home Alternate jersey.  I think I'm going to try another version of it.

But then that leads to the home hat.  Again, the orange trim is against the light blue and is totally washed out.  I'm debating on the Charlotte Bobcats having a dark blue hat with a light blue bill for home and maybe a dark blue hat with orange bill for the road.  What do you think?

Ok, so this might be the way to go with the Home Alt, keeping the orange and light blue away from each other.

Cats%20Hom%20alt%20new_zps0ei7ohuk.png

Let's focus on the hat issue.  Here is the home hat as I have it now in my concepts:

Cats%20current%20home%20hat_zpssbugpxlc.

I'm not happy with the orange on the light blue as I've described above.  I could this for home and away:

Cats%20home%20hat_zpsipwmj7sn.png

Cats%20away%20hat_zpsbs7aegjg.png

Or am I over analyzing it?  Is the all light blue cap fine the way it is?

...I could do a reverse Orioles thing....

Cats%20home%20panel%20hat_zpsik3wnn2n.pn

...nah.

24 minutes ago, davidrpaige said:

Aside from the fact that it won't happen, do you have any other critiques?  I know I have small issues with the Home Alternate and how I have the orange against the light semi-Carolina blue.  Those two colors just don't mix well together.  I really focused on only having the dark blue and orange touch each other throughout the concept except on the Home Alternate jersey.  I think I'm going to try another version of it.

But then that leads to the home hat.  Again, the orange trim is against the light blue and is totally washed out.  I'm debating on the Charlotte Bobcats having a dark blue hat with a light blue bill for home and maybe a dark blue hat with orange bill for the road.  What do you think?

What if you made the left side of the bobcat face orange instead of Carolina blue? After all, real bobcats are more of an orange/brown color. The logo would stand out more on the alternate and you wouldn't be forced to use that lighter shade of blue just so it doesn't disappear into the rest of the jersey. And I would definitely play around with your coloring on the caps. For example, I think you could stand to make the bill on the home cap orange. 

And I hope you're serious about the Grizzlies concept because I'd love to see those colors on a baseball uniform. ;)

EDIT: You took my orange bobcat suggestion before I had a chance to post it! 

6 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

What if you made the left side of the bobcat face orange instead of Carolina blue? After all, real bobcats are more of an orange/brown color. The logo would stand out more on the alternate and you wouldn't be forced to use that lighter shade of blue just so it doesn't disappear into the rest of the jersey. And I would definitely play around with your coloring on the caps. For example, I think you could stand to make the bill on the home cap orange. 

And I hope you're serious about the Grizzlies concept because I'd love to see those colors on a baseball uniform. ;)

EDIT: You took my orange bobcat suggestion before I had a chance to post it! 

You think the orange bill should be for the home?

1 hour ago, davidrpaige said:

Then you'll hate my next concept when i recycle the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Come on guys.  Telling me that this won't happen is like trying to inform me that the sky is blue and the grass is green.  I know this would never happen, this is a concept page.  I personally think there is a lot of sports identities out there that are in the wrong sports, so sometimes I like to "fix" that and make a concept of it.

I think my biggest grip with your Charlotte concept is that you simply reused the logos and slapped it on the uniform. But if you must. I think the Bobcats first color scheme was more unique, as it avoided the double blue and emphasized the orange. I think right now you have a problem with the orange. Either you're under-utilizing it on the cap or over-utilizing it on the jersey.

4 minutes ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

I think right now you have a problem with the orange. Either you're under-utilizing it on the cap or over-utilizing it on the jersey.

I definitely agree with this point, hence why I suggested making the bill of the home alternate cap orange. Heck, you might even try making the bill on the home primary orange, too. 

13 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

I think my biggest grip with your Charlotte concept is that you simply reused the logos and slapped it on the uniform...

And I take offense that you think I just "slap" stuff on.  I hardly do that at all.  If you don't like my recycling a brand in a different fashion, that is fine. But please don't belittle my work (evaluating looks, color correcting, font selections, evaluating scale and balance, etc etc) and the time and effort I put into what I post.

Sometimes I post things very fast, but that is not because I "slapped" it together.  I've done a lot of leg work before I post anything.  Many times I have half a dozen alternate looks that I experimented with before I make my final selection on what I'm going to post. 

7 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

And I take offense that you think I just "slap" stuff on.  I hardly do that at all.  If you don't like my recycling a brand in a different fashion, that is fine. But please don't belittle my work (evaluating looks, color correcting, font selections, evaluating scale and balance, etc etc) and the time and effort I put into what I post.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. What I meant by "slapped" is that you reused older logos instead of creating your own.

Also, if belittling your work is what you described in the parenthesis then C&C doesn't exist. It's the whole point in the concept section 

Edit: Don't know why the font size changed, I'm in phone.

Edit Edit: Seriously, don't take too much offense. I've been following along, this was the first concept I didn't like.

Archived