The updated Bobcats unis look solid. Looking forward to the other tweaks.

Really excited to see the Outlaws and Oilers. Another possible expansion city you could consider would be Nashville. They have a great MiLB identity right now (the Sounds) and the city could probably sustain a franchise.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I wanted to retouch the Padres, which I had done as the first team in this thread.  While I liked the current home wordmark, it was starting to bug me how I had an inconsistent theme going.  So I simplified and made the uniforms consistent.  I was also self-inspired by my Pittsburgh Pirates home alternate to try the same thing with the Padres.  While I think the yellow can be an overwhelming element, it looks good with a little bit of brown trim as a Sunday alternate jersey.

Padres%20home_zpsdzbg7crs.png

Padres%20home%20alt_zpsm1yooeab.png

Padres%20away_zps2coaxsqz.png

Padres%20away%20alt_zpsdweaahfz.png

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I thought you might enjoy this, @davidrpaige. Greg Seher recently posted a concept for a new expansion team, and he had a similar idea of re-purposing a defunct professional franchise from a different sport as you did for the Bobcats and Grizzlies.

hartford+whalers.png

I would actually look back further in the Whalers' history and go off of that.  The idea would be that they are based in Providence, RI.

This was done very quick and dirty.

Whalers%20Home_zpsohclvpia.png

Whalers%20Home%20Alt_zpsnfmxqohp.png

Whalers%20Away_zpsqdaxgwbw.png

Whalers%20Away%20Alt_zpsyusnewbo.png

I'll have to take the time to come up with a better Whaler and New England wordmark, but you get the idea of where I would go with a Whaler baseball team.

While I'm still working on the Oilers and Outlaws, lets get a few more updates out of the way.

I went back and touched up on the Indianapolis Stars concept.  I worked on a better arm patch and created a logo for them, still based off the city flag of Indianapolis.  I also added trace elements of red through the uniform sets, just to give it something more then being a Dodgers clone.

Indy%20home_zpsjhnisswo.png

Indy%20Home%20Alt_zpspabcfpyt.png

Indy%20Away_zpsw4l2gnos.png

Indy%20Away%20Alt_zpsbk7iscun.png

So that is the update to the Indy Stars.  What do you think?

3 hours ago, RightGuard said:

Once you're done posting all these concepts, can you give me the RGB color values you used for each team, davidrpaige?

I mostly use Colorwerx website that was posted early in this thread (pg 2).  This is the link: http://www.colorwerx.net/team-colors/baseball/

Custom colors I do...custom.  Mostly I stick to established franchise colors for my tweaks.

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Rays looks great. Always loved those colors with their old wordmarks.

Out of curiosity, what color schemes are you using for Oklahoma and Las Vegas?

Oilers is working off of a black, brown, and tan theme.  Las Vegas has a few color choices that I have not fully nailed down yet.

On 06/04/2017 at 6:18 PM, davidrpaige said:

While I'm still working on the Oilers and Outlaws, lets get a few more updates out of the way.

I went back and touched up on the Indianapolis Stars concept.  I worked on a better arm patch and created a logo for them, still based off the city flag of Indianapolis.  I also added trace elements of red through the uniform sets, just to give it something more then being a Dodgers clone.

Indy%20home_zpsjhnisswo.png

Indy%20Home%20Alt_zpspabcfpyt.png

Indy%20Away_zpsw4l2gnos.png

Indy%20Away%20Alt_zpsbk7iscun.png

So that is the update to the Indy Stars.  What do you think?

Why didn't you do a team name to do with racing, Indianapolis has a big racing history 

hvmY186.png

17 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Why didn't you do a team name to do with racing, Indianapolis has a big racing history 

And why do you keep asking this same question?  You know, New York City is called the Big Apple, so maybe all their teams should be named after apples.  Chicago is know for its deep dish pizza, so maybe instead of the Bears they should be the Chicago Deep Dishes.  Instead of the Miami Heat, maybe they should be the Miami Jai Alai because that is what they are known for.

I'm also sure that the citizens of Indianapolis appreciate your view that they are only interested in, or their whole world centers around, racing.  That is great way to make people one dimensional.  I'm of german heritage, would you like to refer to me as a kraut?  After all, Germans love to eat sauerkraut.  Go on, boil people down to one single aspect of their lives/environment.

Why on earth would I want to name a baseball team after a completely different sport that has zero correlation to it?  Stop making that comment as you have done repeatedly through this thread.  If you are so hard up on naming an Indianapolis team after the racing industry then go knock yourself out and post your own design.

I'm sorry, but the Indianapolis Stars' identity is incredibly boring. It's a name that's already in use by another Big Four sports team (something that's been phased out in modern branding), alongside an overused red/white/blue color scheme with plain stock fonts. If the Indianapolis Stars were a heritage team, then it'd be passable (if not a little too Dodger-ish). But since it's an "expansion" team, it instead comes off as uninspired. I get that there's a connection to the city flag, but that doesn't excuse it. Draw your own logos for a team that uses a unique color scheme, and I think you'll like the results more. Don't do a racing-themed team, but draw upon other influences (be they from the region or elsewhere).

Such a strategy would also help you come up with fresh identities for places like Vancouver and Charlotte, instead of recycling NBA identities.

The Stars hat logo is incredibly generic, and it kind of creeps into the Astros' brand.  Some kind of lettering (an I, I guess) added to a star logo would be an upgrade.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived