• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, the next stop is the purple mountain majesty of the Colorado Rockies.  I wanted to simplify the font and the overall design.  My first step was to cut the silver from the color palette.  Purple, Black, and White remain for the Rockies' colors and then I made things cleaner from there, starting with the main logo:

Colorado_Rockies%20new%20colors_zpsahypu

Then I moved on to the uniforms.  The chest wording was in the simplified font.  For the home I made the uniform with purple lettering and purple pinstripes.  The undershirts and hat I kept as black with a black stock that has purple and white stripes.

Rockies%20Home_zpscnutcgqn.png

Home Alt introduces a full purple jersey.

Rockies%20Home%20alt_zpssqjngbge.png

The road I just pumped the purple a bit more.  The hat crown is still black but has a purple bill.  I tried all purple hat, but it just didn't look that great, imo.

Rockies%20Away_zpsnytivf8f.png

The road alt introduces a black jersey.  I found I needed some white pipping as the black and the purple undershirt was playing havoc on my eyes.  It is odd I didn't get that same reaction to the Home Alt, but I might do a similar treatment there, depending on the feedback.

Rockies%20Away%20Alt_zpsffukebu6.png

That is Rockies so far.  C+C?

Oh, here is a close up of the cap logo with the more simplified font.  This is a black CR with white boarder on purple background.  This is what I was going to use in an all purple hat, which really didn't pan out too well.

CR%20fixed_zpsmfne87hp.png

The home alternate is my favorite of the bunch. It has a nice 1980s feel to it. 

Overall, I would have opted to drop the black from their color scheme. I've always thought the Rockies would look better as a purple-and-white-only team. The black just feels like an unnecessary relic from the 90s. Because of this, I'm not a fan of the road alt. But let's see how it looks in the style of the home alt. Maybe it'll change my mind. 

Ok, so here is the away alternate with the same trim treatment as the home alternate.

Rockies%20Away%20Alt_zps8jthz1wb.png

Ok, so here is the Rockies with no black (outside the belt and main logo).

Rockies%20Home%20all%20purple_zps6u0j33w

I guess I had shied away from it because originally I had been using the MLB Hex code website instead of Colorwerx and this was the result:

Rockies%20Home%20all%20purple_old_zps6ay

21 hours ago, coco1997 said:

If I were you I'd decide whether you want to stick with just purple or continue on the purple + black route. 

That is what I'm on the fence about. I've done designs with no black, except for some minor trim, and they look fine (which I'll share). I just find that something is missing without the black. Yes, we all hate black in uniforms. Yes, black was overused/abused in the 90s/00s, but the Rockies are not the Royals, Mets, Reds, Blue Jays, or Marlins. The Rockies were created with black as a main color, not jammed awkwardly into their color scheme. So I feel differently about ditching black from the Rockies then I would other teams.  I'm really on the fence about it.

3 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

That is what I'm on the fence about. I've done designs with no black, except for some minor trim, and they look fine (which I'll share). I just find that something is missing without the black. Yes, we all hate black in uniforms. Yes, black was overused/abused in the 90s/00s, but the Rockies are not the Royals, Mets, Reds, Blue Jays, or Marlins. The Rockies were created with black as a main color, not jammed awkwardly into their color scheme. So I feel differently about ditching black from the Rockies then I would other teams.  I'm really on the fence about it.

Black works fine for some teams. Just look at the White Sox. But the Rockies' aesthetic is cut from the same cloth as the other three expansion teams from the '90s, all of whom began their existence wearing some combination of teal, purple and black. That should tell you something right there. The only difference is that those other teams have all moved away from their original styles, while the Rockies have remained more or less unchanged.

I wouldn't say the Rockies' black is jammed in awkwardly to their look, but it does feel outdated, at least to me, and unnecessary given the colors don't contrast with one another.

Ok, so what if the real problem is not the black, but the purple?  I've been kinda blind just following the purple they used I never stopped to ask if that should change.  This was a very quick search, but I picked a lighter, more royal purple.  Something with more red to it.

Rockies%20Home%20-%20lighter%20purple_zp

Rockies%20Away%20-%20lighter%20purple_zp

Rockies%20Home%20Alt%20-%20lighter%20pur

Rockies%20Away%20Alt-%20lighter%20purple

EDIT: Looking at this on the site, I should make the CR white with black outlines for an all purple hat.  I'll work on that.

You know, in my last post I meant to suggest using a lighter purple if you are really adamant about keeping the black. You read my mind! This actually looks really nice.

May I suggest dropping the horizontal stripes on the home uniform sleeves?

Ok, going with a different purple (or as I've been referring to it "puur-ple") and not dropping black as a main color, this is the uniform set of the Colorado Rockies.

Rockies%20Uniform%20Presenation_zpscb5x8

The purple certainly pops more, especially the home alternate.  C+C?

I'm not one who knows the characteristics of a good lookin baseball jersey but I think I just found out. The 'St Louis' script is amazing and the black Rockies jersey is soooooo nice. IMO the first purple looked better but you still perfected them with the lighter shade! Looking forward to the rest of the league! Would you ever be doing AAA jerseys? I know it would be a pain as for the fact of a lot of other teams that don't have well known uniforms but I think that would be an awesome series- even more so than this one!! Great job!

The next team I'm taking a look at is the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Before I get into my designs, I wanted to say a few things about the D-Backs current uniforms. I wanted to say that I applaud the D-Backs for trying something and shaking things up.  They tried to think out of the box and do something daring.  It fell short, but they tried something.  They got a little gimmicky with Teal Tuesdays and the gradation just doesn't work, but big thumbs up for trying.  I'd rather see teams try things then playing safe and looking like a generic bland mess.

Now, while I give them kudos for trying something, they need to fix their mistake.  What they created just doesn't work.  While they did something daring, they need to acknowledge that things are not right.

Now, what I wanted to do was look at the past 2 uniform eras of the Diamondbacks and see what elements worked and use those.  I decided to use 4 colors, 2 from the original look and 2 from the second era.  I've chosen to use Turquoise and Copper as the main colors with Sedona Red and Sonoran Sand acting as trim coloring.

Turquoise Color Code: #005F61 
Copper Color Code: #8F654D
Sedona Red Color Code: #A6192E
Sonoran Sand Color Code: #D9C89E

Using this color palette, and different logos and word marks from the D-backs' history, this is what I've created:

DBacks%20Home%201_zpslv1kwwys.png

Turquoise takes the main lead with Copper pinstripes and logos main colors.  Sand forms the first trim and fill-in color with a final outline in Sedona Red.  The Sedona Red will only be used as a final outline in all the designs.

The away uniforms follows the same pattern:

DBacks%20Away_zpswlbbknll.png

Home Alternate:

DBacks%20Home%20Alt_zpsecb8if6r.png

Away Alternate:

DBacks%20Away%20Alt_zpsudfndfwb.png

So that is my Diamondbacks concept.  Like the real Diamondbacks, I've taken a few risks here.  Let's see if my risks hit closer to the mark then what they did.  C+C please.

This is honestly one of the better D-Backs concepts I've seen. It looks modern without trying too hard, which is the obvious issue with their latest rebrand. Copper pinstripes are a really daring idea that turned out surprisingly well. 

The only aspect I'm on the fence about is the use of the "Diamondbacks" wordmark on the home primary, just because the team name is so long and "D-Backs" is just an awful nickname. But I actually don't mind how it looks here. I'm interested to see what others have to say. 

Since you've done three of the expansion teams from the '90s, I hope you consider taking a stab at the Rays. 

Ok, there does not seem to be much feedback on the Diamondbacks, so I'll throw out my Tampa Bay Rays design too.  I'll share my other home versions of the D-backs so that you can see how and why I ultimately chose what I did for the Home, but I had the same hesitation on the length of the word across the chest.

So for the Rays, I loved their 2001-2004 set.  It was clean look with a good color scheme.  But saying you want to go back to the 2001-2004 look is kind of boring, so I decided to take the design in a new direction.

I decided to totally embrace the "sunshine" direction of Rays, opposed to the stingray version of the Rays.  So I focused on pumping up the yellow.  Yellow is a really underused color in MLB, with the Athletic really being the only team that uses yellow in a significant way.  So I wondered how cool would it look to have yellow as the prime color.

I used lettering and logos from the 2001-2004 set, because I thought it has a slickness to it, cleaned it up and used the current Rays color palette.

Rays%20wordmark_zpszzzdy7f6.png

The hat I wanted to spruce up a little, finding the TB a little too plain in the current set.  So I redid the 2001-2004 set and incorporated the kinda bizarre "sunshine flare" logo that the Rays use.  I added that into the TB to give a little bit more to the hat.

Hat%20logo%20lt%20blue_zpsvs1dnsvf.png

Then it was on to the uniform sets.  The home pushes the yellow to the max.  I have two alts where my mental thought was "Florida sunshine" as I was creating them.  Certainly hard to mistake this team for any other team, that is for sure!

Rays%20Home_zpsojpywwxa.png

Rays%20Home%20Alt%201_zpsc1je5gms.png

Rays%20Home%20Alt%202_zpsdg3zsnzz.png

The away uniforms I pushed the dark blue as the main, as away uniforms traditionally have a "darker" feel to them.  But I added the yellow to the trim which makes everything pop!  So take that dark tradition!

Rays%20Away_zpsbowvzwux.png

Rays%20Away%20Alt_zpso0zjsd5y.png

So, that is my version of the Tampa Bay Rays.  Looking back at my sets, I really love the Away uniform.  The way the yellow pops the dark blue lettering out.  I don't like patting my own back, but Tampa Bay Rays if you are out there, make that your road uniforms right now and I'll be a fan of yours forever!

What do you guys thing?  C+C please.

Love the Rays unis. Only thing I might fix is try to play around with the hat colors, as I think a different color crown/bill on some of the uniforms. I'd try a yellow bill on the road uniforms, light blue on the road alts, and a light blue crown on the light blue home alt. If those combo's don't work, the entire set is still strong and stands out from the rest of the league without being "out there".

Archived