• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the road alternate, I still prefer the original version with the placket piping.

I like the latest version of the orange home alternate, but I have a few suggestions: 1) I don't think you need the numbers on the front of the jersey, and 2) How would it look with yellow placket piping?

On July 24, 2016 at 11:01 AM, coco1997 said:

For the road alternate, I still prefer the original version with the placket piping.

I like the latest version of the orange home alternate, but I have a few suggestions: 1) I don't think you need the numbers on the front of the jersey, and 2) How would it look with yellow placket piping?

Something like this?

Astros%20Home%20Alt%203_zpszdpi1kok.png

It looks nice, the only think I have concerns about is the disassociation it makes with the red in the tequila sunrise color scheme.  The only time yellow appears in my concepts is with the other colors of the sunrise set, so this breaks away from that.  I know that might sound silly, but with out that association then I'm just adding more colors to the palette with no concept pattern.

First World worries I suppose.

How about a little something simple.  Let's look at the LA Dodgers.  The Home and Away I wanted to keep it simple and traditional, just the way the Dodgers continue to do it.  It is a classic look that does not need tampering with.  I put a white outline on the word mark and numbers on the road uniform in order to give better visibility with the road grey.

Dodgers%20Home_zpswtojcsug.png

Dodgers%20Away_zpsmmer0op7.png

Then I looked at doing alternate uniforms.  I have to admit, I was hesitant on doing something like this for a team like the Dodgers, as they have a very clean and traditional look.  The don't need anything flashy or pushing the identity.  They are the Dodgers.  The Dodgers share that rarified position with the Cardinals, Yankees, and Cubs as the only handful of teams that can get away with 2 uniforms, a home and road.  But I thought I'd take a crack at what I would do for alternates.

Dodgers%20Home%20alt_zpstff8ufqg.png

Dodgers%20Away%20alt_zpsnbhbih50.png

I took the same approach with the alternates as the Dodgers keep to their home and road uniforms: less is more.  I kept the design simple and clean.  What do you think?

This has been a great series so far. A few thoughts on the Dodgers:

• I'm not a fan of the Dodgers logo sleeve patch on the Dodgers' home. With the sleeve patch, you essentially have two different Dodgers wordmarks right next to one another - one on the chest, and one on the sleeve. Even if the wordmarks matched (and I do wish the Dodgers would use their jersey wordmark in their primary logo), it would seem a bit redundant, I think. I'm generally not a fan of wordmark-based logos as sleeve patches for that reason.
  • The white outline on the gray uniform is a matter of personal preference, but  I've always thought the Dodgers look so much better without a white outline than with one. The difference is greater than with most teams. Compare this:

Los+Angeles+Dodgers+v+San+Diego+Padres+3

to this: 

la-00-allgray-davidseelig-1-675x380.jpg

To me, there's no comparison between the two. That said, if you prefer the white outline, I think you did it correctly - you also have the white outline around the red front numbers, the lack of which created a bizarre visual inconsistency from the above uniform.

• That home white alt works really well. In an alternate world, that could've wound up being a great home uniform for the Dodgers. I wouldn't want to see it in reality, since I think it would muddle the identity (as you said, the Dodgers don't need alts, and I also think having multiple white jerseys muddles an identity anyway). But aesthetically, it looks great. The chest numbers seem a tad small though.
  • If the Dodgers insist on having a road alternate, they should dump that pointless "Dodgers" gray away jersey, and adopt that blue uniform instead. That looks great.

4 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

Something like this?

Astros%20Home%20Alt%203_zpszdpi1kok.png

Yep, that looks great. However, I think the inclusion of the front number busies up the jersey too much. I'd either keep the placket piping and drop the front numbers or visa versa. 

Didn't expect you to take on the Dodgers but I'm happy you did! No complaints about the set. However, for the home alt, I would try blue placket piping. Right now the jersey looks a little too "naked" without it. 

Just realized you've finished half the league. Dare I ask to see your take on the White Sox? 

On July 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM, coco1997 said:

Didn't expect you to take on the Dodgers but I'm happy you did! No complaints about the set. However, for the home alt, I would try blue placket piping. Right now the jersey looks a little too "naked" without it. 

Something like this?

Dodgers%20home%20alt_zpsplqflzdm.png

This was my original idea for the home alt, but for some reason I decided to go more like the home uniform and have no piping.  I should have listened to my gut the first time now that I look at it again.

Ok, going to look at the Rangers now.

Rangers%20home_zps1bu5w8nf.png

Rangers%20away_zps8m8yur55.png

Rangers%20home%20alt_zpsueeuyotq.png

Rangers%20away%20alt_zpsvgxdpyg5.png

I simplified the hat logo so to eliminate the drop shadow and make it a basic outline.  Did that throughout the rest of the uniform too.  Once again put "Rangers" on the home and "Texas" for the away.

DANG Son. I was just scrolling through these concepts... unbelievable work. A few honorable mentions are the Indians, the Bobcats, the Grizzlies, and the Beavers. Great work man, keep it up! Can we see the Pirates?

Nice work on the Rangers. Nothing too drastic. I actually expected you to change their color scheme given the overabundance of red/white/blue teams in MLB, but I really have no complaints about this set at all. And now you've completed the AL West!

6 hours ago, Big Papi said:

DANG Son. I was just scrolling through these concepts... unbelievable work. A few honorable mentions are the Indians, the Bobcats, the Grizzlies, and the Beavers. Great work man, keep it up! Can we see the Pirates?

Thanks for the compliments.  Right now I have the Reds and Giants on deck next, then I'll get to the Pirates and others.  I've even got a few other MLB Expansion teams in the pipeline.

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice work on the Rangers. Nothing too drastic. I actually expected you to change their color scheme given the overabundance of red/white/blue teams in MLB, but I really have no complaints about this set at all. And now you've completed the AL West!

I've always felt that for most teams only small tweaks are needed here or there.  Only a few teams are complete train wrecks (*cough* Marlins *cough**cough*).  Rangers, while they don't wow me, have a simple and classic look.  Their tie to the Texas state flag is so strong that I didn't get that feeling of another color set working for them.

8 minutes ago, davidrpaige said:

Thanks for the compliments.  Right now I have the Reds and Giants on deck next, then I'll get to the Pirates and others.  I've even got a few other MLB Expansion teams in the pipeline.

I've always felt that for most teams only small tweaks are needed here or there.  Only a few teams are complete train wrecks (*cough* Marlins *cough**cough*).  Rangers, while they don't wow me, have a simple and classic look.  Their tie to the Texas state flag is so strong that I didn't get that feeling of another color set working for them.

Ooh, further expansion teams have me excited!

Ok, so I have the Giants and Reds to post, but I forgot to mention the Cubs.  So let's deal with Chicao's lovable losers.

Cubs%20Home_zpstsdrg43a.png

So the home uniform has been the same since 1958 and I see no reason to change that now.  The Cubs' look is classic and well known.

Cubs%20Home%20alt_zpsh4ruvlcr.png

The home alternate is a blue top with a rework of the 1921 Cubs script.

This is where I go off my normal rails.  One thing I wanted to do with the Cubs is create a very consistent look.  The home is one of the most recognizable looks in baseball, so the away should continue that.  Home or on the road, the Cubs should look like the Cubs.

Cubs%20Away_zps0yxlj6sz.png

So I modified the famous Cubs logo to make it a Chicago logo of the same style.  I normally do not like to do pinstripes on road uniforms, but I think this is one of the exceptions.  This is again to make the Cubs look like the cubs no matter where they are.

Finally, there is the road alternate.  I made it in a similar manner of the home alternate to maintain a consistant look.

Cubs%20Away%20alt_zpsoel6bvld.png

What do you think?

The Cubs could definitely pull off road pinstripes (I loved when they threw back to these a few years ago), and I'm digging that "C"hicago logo!

If the Cubs do tweak their look in the future (and there have been rumors they will) I'm hoping they go back to this version of their logo:

3735_chicago_cubs-jersey-1941.png

Lets look at the Reds.  The history of the Reds is roughly 50/50 when it comes to having pinstripes on their home uniforms.  I'm partially a sucker for pinstripes, especially for the older teams, so I put it back on the home set.  My main goal was to eliminate the black from the basic design.  No black drop shadow or outline except for the arm patch.  The red used in this Reds design is from the 60/70s, the "Big Red Machine" era, which was a slightly brighter red then is used currently.

Reds%20Home_zps1uliyq5i.png

The road uniform is kept clean and simple, harking back to their glory "Big Red Machine" era.

Reds%20Away_zpsa2jjd471.png

The alternates are simple but I think take some elements in their current logo arsenal that they don't really use.  The home uses a script that they use for batting practice, which I think looks like a nice Sunday alternate choice.  The road alternate I did bring black due to the fact that the Reds have a two color color scheme (Red and White).  The black does help the red pop more.

Reds%20Home%20Alt_zps0ixgre9a.png

Reds%20Away%20Alt_zpscdgc7rmb.png

This Reds set is beautiful. I like that you kept their current style numbers; I know a lot of people aren't big on them. And I agree, that "Reds" script is painfully underrated and should be used more!

I'm usually not a fan of the Reds wearing black, but I really like this road alt and it's probably the only time I'd want to see them in black. 

Archived