The Rays look great. I never thought of them being a primarily yellow team. You did a good job blending various elements of their different looks over the years to create something very new and fresh looking. 

For future reference, I would suggest editing the title of this thread every time you post a new team, which might draw attention from fans of those specific teams. 

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

For future reference, I would suggest editing the title of this thread every time you post a new team, which might draw attention from fans of those specific teams. 

I wanted to do that but I didn't see how I can edit the title. Probably staring me in the face.

8 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

I wanted to do that but I didn't see how I can edit the title. Probably staring me in the face.

You have to edit the first post. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Ok, so let's take a closer look at the hats.

So home hat, as of current design:

TB%20Hat%20Home_zps6nx9oznh.png

The away hat:

TB%20Hat%20Away_zps3bk1kve2.png

Now, here is what the away hat could look like with a yellow bill.  I had decided not to do the yellow bill so that the yellow TB would stand out more.  If I did a yellow bill I would switch out the colors of the TB to the light blue and trim with yellow.

TB%20Hat%20Away%20option_zps4abxcvyh.png

And here was something I was tooling around with for use with the light blue jersey:

TB%20Hat%20lgt%20blue%20crown-yellow%20b

I had ultimately wanted to keep things simple and went with two hats.  The alt hat (light blue crown with yellow bill) would look nice, but I'm on the fence about it.  I like the road hat with the yellow bill, but ultimately feel that having an all dark blue hat allows the yellow TB to pop more, which is a good thing for a road uniform.

What do you guys think?

5 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

Like this?

TB_Hat_Away_2_zpsoao5mvc8.png

That's perfect! Can you post all the updated designs side by side like you did with the previous teams?

And I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the Portland design. Digging that color scheme.

On 6/4/2016 at 5:04 PM, davidrpaige said:

The next team I'm taking a look at is the Arizona Diamondbacks.  Before I get into my designs, I wanted to say a few things about the D-Backs current uniforms. I wanted to say that I applaud the D-Backs for trying something and shaking things up.  They tried to think out of the box and do something daring.  It fell short, but they tried something.  They got a little gimmicky with Teal Tuesdays and the gradation just doesn't work, but big thumbs up for trying.  I'd rather see teams try things then playing safe and looking like a generic bland mess.

Now, while I give them kudos for trying something, they need to fix their mistake.  What they created just doesn't work.  While they did something daring, they need to acknowledge that things are not right.

Now, what I wanted to do was look at the past 2 uniform eras of the Diamondbacks and see what elements worked and use those.  I decided to use 4 colors, 2 from the original look and 2 from the second era.  I've chosen to use Turquoise and Copper as the main colors with Sedona Red and Sonoran Sand acting as trim coloring.

Turquoise Color Code: #005F61 
Copper Color Code: #8F654D
Sedona Red Color Code: #A6192E
Sonoran Sand Color Code: #D9C89E

Using this color palette, and different logos and word marks from the D-backs' history, this is what I've created:

DBacks%20Home%201_zpslv1kwwys.png

Turquoise takes the main lead with Copper pinstripes and logos main colors.  Sand forms the first trim and fill-in color with a final outline in Sedona Red.  The Sedona Red will only be used as a final outline in all the designs.

The away uniforms follows the same pattern:

DBacks%20Away_zpswlbbknll.png

Home Alternate:

DBacks%20Home%20Alt_zpsecb8if6r.png

Away Alternate:

DBacks%20Away%20Alt_zpsudfndfwb.png

So that is my Diamondbacks concept.  Like the real Diamondbacks, I've taken a few risks here.  Let's see if my risks hit closer to the mark then what they did.  C+C please.

Arizona is a fantastic start. I only have two suggestions. On the home wordmark, maybe try swapping the copper and turquoise, to make it stand out a little more against the pinstripes.

On the home alt, maybe use sand for the number and D logo primary color. I think that might stand out a little better.

This is a fantastic series, looking forward to more.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I don't want to jump too far ahead, I still have to finish off the Diamondbacks and Rays, but I did have the home and away uniforms for my MLB expansion Portland Beavers!

Now, this is what I think would/should happen if MLB does an expansion.  IMO what is really going to happen is the Athletics are going to leave Oakland and go to Portland.  They naturally will become the Portland Athletics (Portland A's) and MLB will expand to someplace like Las Vegas or Vancouver.  The color scheme of the A's would rock in Portland as the MLS Timbers already sport a similar color scheme.  Again, that is what I think reality has in store for us.

Now, if MLB expands (vs relocation), I would suggest they take the very rich baseball tradition of Portland in the form of the Beavers.  Red was a pretty constant theme through out the history of the team(s), so I continued that tradition.  I also used pinstripes for an older, more established feel for the team (also a history of it too).  I used the color palette of 2003 Beavers set, which included a funky black that has a grey green tint to it.  Anyways, here they are:

Beavers%20home%20pinstripes_zpsmwwdr8c4.

Beavers%20away_zps9dhhus7e.png

Still working on Alternate uniforms, but I might go minimal on Portland.  The hipsters wouldn't stand for too much alternate stuff, they want things retro. :)

Portland looks fantastic! That looks like a legitimate MLB uniform.

My only minor gripe is that the numbers on the front of the jerseys look a bit too small. But conceptually, everything about this design is top notch.

ok, based on feedback in regards to the Tampa Bay Ray's hats, here are the alterations

Home Alt using a light blue crown with yellow bill:

Rays%20Home%20Alt_zpstqa5hqdv.png

The Road and Road Alt is using a dark blue crown with a light blue bill.

Rays%20Away_zpsowiyb2qp.pngRays%20Away%20Alt_zpsg1z2ifzc.png

I still think the Away looks best with an all dark blue hat.  I really like the light blue bill on the Away Alt.  I'm 50/50 on the Home Alt, I think it looks better with an all yellow cap.  I don't know, what opinions are out there?

2 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

Maybe it's just me, but the "Beavers" on the home jersey gets kinda lost in the pinstripes.

Yeah, I had originally designed the Beavers with no pinstripes, like so:

Beavers%20home_zpsmcpfvd3l.png

At the last moment I added the pinstripes to give it a more vintage feel.  The outline for the Beavers script is very light, so doesn't really give a huge separation.

3 hours ago, davidrpaige said:

What if I give a white "trim" around the numbers and script?  Does that help?

Beavers%20Home_zpsvniptiee.png

Yep, that absolutely does it!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived