NY_CFL_fan

My personal Continental Football League -- EFC Central teams

I’d be glad to, let me check out where they’ve gone. I’ve done some retrofitting of the league, swapping a couple of team color schemes. Hopefully I can find another means of posting images than using .pdf’s. 

Thanks dude! I remember seeing the original images but didn’t save them. Love  any form of sports in fiction, did the same thing when I was 10. Of course that was much more recently.

Not sure if they've changed something on here so you can't attach a file from your computer to a post, or if they don't want you doing that anymore. Looks like they got rid of all the attachments I made last year. Still have them on my computer though.

The upshot of the changes I wanted to make was swapping the color schemes of the St. Louis Mustangs and the Thunder, and switching the locations of the Thunder and Marauders -- swapping Houston and Orlando.

So the new retrofitted Continental Football League has the St. Louis Mustangs being dark green, white, black and silver (dark green helmets, sort of a Hawaii 2000s color scheme), the Houston Thunder now being purple, white, black and silver (purple helmets, sort of a TCU color scheme), and the Orlando Marauders being the black and silver team.

Basically the reason for the change is I wanted to have a purple team in the league starting at least in the early 1970s, and I couldn't wrap my head around the Thunder being green and black, but Mustangs seemed to work better in that scheme. While the Orlando Thunder has a bit of history (with the WLAF team's awful florescent lime green color scheme), one can be the Thunder just about anywhere. I used to have the Orlando Predators in my CFL, but I already have what seems like a half a dozen black and red teams, and I like the Marauders pirate/Raiders imagery -- a logical progression from the original Tampa Bay Bandits. Possibly in my Continental Football League reality, the late John Bassett's family sells the Bandits to Disney in the early '90s and the Marauders are born.

EDIT: Here are two options -- the Marauders and a Monarchs concept for Orlando, using a Florida Panthers red/navy/gold color combo. Monarchs -- Magic Kingdom, get it? And of course, using a lion head as a logo. I found a couple of great lion heads online, so credit goes to the artist for the logos. First Monarchs helmet is the first one they would've used, second would be the current one.

2jyz5hN.gif  wrUpgM7.jpgowCuLLZ.png

Edited by NY_CFL_fan
helmet choices for Marauders and Monarchs

Nice, I remember this vaguely. Not to intrude but I just want to share my thoughts. I would (and I stress this-maybe I would have done this) keep the Orlando Predators, although introducing the name later to fit sometime around their ArenaFL tenure, but keep the color scheme of the Thunder.

I’m digging way back in my mind for this one. Your early CFL included one of my personal favorite designs: a WEIRD one! The WFL’s Southern California Sun. I personally would have renamed them the Orange County Sun.

This last one isn’t even one I thought would be cool, just something that just hit me. The name Houston Thunder reminds me of the NASL team Houston Hurricanes. Of course, Carolina prevents that, but the Tampa Bay Storm look would have looked pretty good.

I should save all of these ideas for a hypothetical fictional league from my childhood!

Posted (edited)
On 12/25/2017 at 8:09 PM, PowderedWater said:

Nice, I remember this vaguely. Not to intrude but I just want to share my thoughts. I would (and I stress this-maybe I would have done this) keep the Orlando Predators, although introducing the name later to fit sometime around their ArenaFL tenure, but keep the color scheme of the Thunder.

I’m digging way back in my mind for this one. Your early CFL included one of my personal favorite designs: a WEIRD one! The WFL’s Southern California Sun. I personally would have renamed them the Orange County Sun.

This last one isn’t even one I thought would be cool, just something that just hit me. The name Houston Thunder reminds me of the NASL team Houston Hurricanes. Of course, Carolina prevents that, but the Tampa Bay Storm look would have looked pretty good.

I should save all of these ideas for a hypothetical fictional league from my childhood!

Yes, I have the Southern California Sun, but I was thinking of having them be based in San Diego. I actually decided to keep them around until the mid-1970s and moving to Phoenix to become the present-day Arizona Inferno. The Sun's color scheme would have been the same as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, orange and red, instead of the magenta and orange of the WFL team.

I have created a "helmet wall" off all of my Continental Football League teams showing their helmet changes over the years, looking for a way to post it on here since it won't allow attachments now.

EDIT: Here's the helmet development for the Southern California Sun to Arizona Inferno -- the last red helmet is a possible future helmet:

jVUM0zi.png6PGuqpG.png14yTyAE.png14yTyAE.pngZdbeXkV.png

Edited by NY_CFL_fan
added helmets for the Sun and Inferno

I'm hoping to find a way to post my Continental Football League helmets on something like Photobucket, just to have something to link to. I have the Helmets Over Time doc as well, where I show the changes to each team's helmets over the years, and I still have all of my original concept "helmet walls" that used to be attached on here. I don't have a ton of time between work and home to get that saved, but I will see what I can do.

I'm mulling over merging the Thunderbirds and Thunder in a way that will allow me to keep some of my favorite designs -- by having the Thunderbirds re-brand as the Thunder in the late '90s, in time for championship game appearance as one of those teams that goes to a title game soon after they change their helmet (think the Broncos in the late '90s, or the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the mid-'80s). I have an idea for the T-birds to alter their colors from green and blue to darker green and black in the early '90s, then morph into the Thunder with dark green helmets and dark green/black/silver motif (like Hawaii's early 2000s uniforms), and eventually going to the hammer of Thor logo.

Doing this would allow me to keep my original purple and silver concept for the St. Louis Mustangs, as well as keep Houston as the Marauders and Orlando as the Predators -- I might look into a different color combo than black and red for Orlando. I also had an idea for an Orlando Monarchs team (Magic Kingdom, get it? Maybe a Disney-owned team) -- I found a concept helmet for the London Monarchs with a roaring lion as a logo, with navy blue/red/metallic gold as a color combination, sort of like the Florida Panthers.

It always did bug me a little that I had a Thunderbirds and a Thunder in the same league -- in the same conference after 2002, in fact, so I wondered how much confusion that could cause. It reminded me a bit of the Roughriders vs. Rough Riders in the Canadian Football League -- which is why my Continental Football League had always had the Ottawa Renegades, keeping unique names for teams.

Ha, I like the lore! Neat to hear developments, this is my favorite story on this forum. Understand the thunderbirds vs thunder, very reminiscent of the CFL up to the 90s. I did something like this as a kid but I only made names.

12 hours ago, NY_CFL_fan said:

I'm hoping to find a way to post my Continental Football League helmets on something like Photobucket, just to have something to link to.

I've always used imgur without any issues so far. 

On 2/17/2018 at 12:50 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

I've always used imgur without any issues so far. 

Excellent, I'll check into that!

OK, I was able to find a host for helmet images, so here's a thought -- I'm still leaning toward keeping Houston as the Thunder, in purple, black and silver, rather than dark green, black and silver... that would make the St. Louis Mustangs the dark green and silver team.

Here's the options:

Houston Thunder current purple -- St. Louis Mustangs current green

2hMoMs8.pngP4fPIKD.png

Houston Thunder recent silver -- St. Louis Mustangs recent green

2Y368vA.png 4mLoxky.png

Houston Thunder current green -- St. Louis Mustangs current purple

rgkaGDq.pngi578iH0.png

Houston Thunder older green -- St. Louis Mustangs recent silver

cljnQSE.pngkBnu0Vw.png

So those are a couple of options -- I definitely want a purple/silver/black and dark green/black/silver team in the league.

If you look back a couple of posts, I added helmets to the show the Southern California Sun-to-Arizona Inferno helmets, and the Orlando Monarchs concept.

I'm just thinking dark green makes more sense for a Midwest team with a horse nickname than a Thunder-themed team in Texas, but I suppose Thunder can be just about any color. I figured purple, black and silver makes sense as a "stormier" color combo than green and black.

Yeah, the dark blue and gold is a classic combo -- already have it for the Colorado Grizzlies and that's one of my original concept teams.

There's a bunch of color combos that weren't in the NFL or CFL, but were in college football, so I wanted to see a bunch of them in my football league from the start, in the 1980s when I started doing this -- maroon and gold, dark green and black, purple and silver, navy blue and orange, light blue and black or navy. So on some of the concept teams that I developed, I used those colors as the basis for those teams.

I also think of what the teams would look like in the '70s and '80s, like the dark green and black/white or purple and silver teams, since I wanted those color combos to have been around for a long time in the league, rather than an expansion team from 1995 or 2002.

It's certainly a matter of personal taste, but you can definitely come up with the teams you'd like to see, and use non-NFL color combos to create new looks. I used teal and silver for my Jacksonville Sharks -- even though I had based them on the WFL team. I did the same with the Hurricanes -- I originally had them using the WFL Portland Storm logo, but in red and black (hurricane flag colors) instead of blue and green.

I'm going to start posting my Continental Football League helmets over time, try to show how each team's helmets developed over time... would love to do uniforms, but I don't necessarily have the time and expertise to do that. They would be similar to the concurrent NFL, WFL, USFL, CFL uniforms of the time period, in the coordinating team colors.

Here's the updated "helmet wall" for my Continental Football League with the current team looks, subject to change....

Obviously, just using the former CFL division logos for space filler -- could just change "division" to "conference" in the logos. Since the CFL is part of my Continental Football League in this timeline, they could use those logos.

As always, I own none of these logos and credit goes to Mike from MG's Helmets for the helmet template. These are just current helmets or reimagined helmet designs to bring visual life to a league I have worked on since the early 1980s. Some are by great designers like cjzilligen and hugevolsfan, whose work has been displayed here in the past, some are outstanding designs found elsewhere on the net, and others are college or pro logos I have adapted. Full credit goes to the original designers for the designs -- in some cases recolored by me to suit my concept teams' colors. Ozkw2Um.png

cjiFdaI.png