NY_CFL_fan

My personal Continental Football League -- recent updates

Recommended Posts

NY_CFL_fan    9

I'm hoping to work on uniforms for my personal/fictional Continental Football League soon -- work may be a little sporadic over the summer with the kids home from school and all, but here's a general vision of what I'm looking at for the teams, broken down by divisions below.

Many of the teams exist in some form in the real world, particularly the Canadian Football League teams, so there would be few changes from their current or past looks. I'm hoping to figure out the football uniform templates I have downloaded to turn my own concept teams (Thunderbirds, Warriors, Hurricanes, Thunder, Blues, etc.) into something I hope will be cool.

Some uniform ideas -- refer to first or previous post for the helmets:

 

Eastern Football Conference

EFC North

Hamilton Tiger-Cats -- same as current team. Home: black jerseys, gold numbers w/ white outlines, gold stripes, gold or black pants. Away: white jerseys, black sleeves with gold stripes, black numbers w/ gold outline, gold or black pants.

Montreal Alouettes -- same as current team. Home: red jerseys with blue yoke, blue sleeves, white numbers w/ blue/white double outline, silver pants. Away: white jerseys, blue yoke, red sleeves, blue numbers, blue pants.

Ottawa Renegades -- Home: black jerseys, red numbers  w/ white outlines, black or white pants. Away: white jerseys, black numbers w/ red outlines, black or white pants. Alternate: red jerseys, white numbers w/ black outlines.

Toronto Argonauts -- same as current team. Home: Dark blue jerseys with light blue/white stripes, white numbers, white pants. Away: White jerseys with dark blue/light blue stripes, dark blue numbers.

 

EFC Coastal

Baltimore Stallions -- A little updated from the 1990s actual CFL team. Home: Still royal blue jerseys with white numbers, double outlined with blue/white, silver pants with blue/white stripes. Away: white jerseys with blue numbers double-outlined with blue/white, silver or blue pants.

Boston Breakers -- Home: Teal jerseys, white numbers w/ black outlines, black/white/gray stripes, black or white pants w/ teal/black/gray stripes. Away: White jerseys, teal numbers w/ black outlines, black/teal/gray stripes, black or white pants with teal/black/gray stripes.

Carolina Hurricanes -- Home: red jerseys, white numbers w/ black outlines, black/white/gray stripes, white or red pants with black/red/gray stripes. Away: white jerseys, black numbers w/ red outlines, red/black/gray stripes, white or red pants. Alt: black jerseys with white numbers, red outlines, black pants.

New York Knights -- Home: black jerseys, white numbers w/ old gold outlines, white/old gold stripes, metallic gold or black pants. Away: white jerseys, black numbers w/ old gold outlines, black/old gold stripes, metallic gold or black pants.

 

To be continued...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Bear    312

I have been following this thread for a while, and I thought it was over (I'm happy it's not.) I love that you have a personal league that has years of real-life history and seasons. You created the helmets really well, making the logos your own. 

 

I do do have a couple questions/suggestions. First: obviously as a competing league you placed a majority of teams in markets with no NFL. Why did you put teams in some of the cities you did (Example: two teams in Tennessee and none in Sacramento, etc.)

Was there an expansion process or was it more choice?

Second, I would be interested to see championships per team. Standings would be daunting, but if you have championships, I'd love to see them (not each championship but overall record in championships). 

Finally, will we see this year's season. 

 

Hopefully my questions aren't any hassle. Overall, good job making this league come to life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9
On 7/7/2016 at 2:26 PM, ~Bear said:

I have been following this thread for a while, and I thought it was over (I'm happy it's not.) I love that you have a personal league that has years of real-life history and seasons. You created the helmets really well, making the logos your own. 

 

I do do have a couple questions/suggestions. First: obviously as a competing league you placed a majority of teams in markets with no NFL. Why did you put teams in some of the cities you did (Example: two teams in Tennessee and none in Sacramento, etc.)

Was there an expansion process or was it more choice?

Second, I would be interested to see championships per team. Standings would be daunting, but if you have championships, I'd love to see them (not each championship but overall record in championships). 

Finally, will we see this year's season. 

 

Hopefully my questions aren't any hassle. Overall, good job making this league come to life. 

 

Thanks for the kind words and the interest in my league. I have been working on it for a little over 30 years, retrofitting and making changes along the way. There is a ton of history to this league.

 

I intentionally put some teams in non-NFL markets to fill the gaps that had been filled by other short-lived leagues (WFL, USFL, etc.). Mostly I was looking for decent-sized markets that did not have a real-life pro football franchise and/or had supported pro football in the past -- so Birmingham, Jacksonville, Memphis, Orlando and Portland were places I certainly wanted to plant teams. Other major metro areas I felt could host more than one pro franchise -- like L.A., New York, Chicago, Detroit, Phoenix and Boston. I picked San Jose over Sacramento to put an expansion team in the Bay Area -- the cities are relatively close (117 miles). And actually, my original concept was to have a Sacramento Gold or Gold Miners team -- using the Denver Gold's helmet and colors -- as one of the 1995 expansion teams, but I ended up liking the San Jose Storm idea better when I did a retrofit. Columbus and Nashville were natural landing spots for a further expansion, although I really wanted to put the Gladiators in Cleveland (like the Arena team) -- it just seemed sacrilegious to not have the NFL's Browns stay there. Some of my teams and locations are based on a "what-if" world -- for example, what if there were no Chiefs or Oilers or Broncos in the NFL? The Warriors, Thunder and Grizzlies have strong fan followings in Kansas City, Houston and Denver in my CFL world, and I can say that Los Angeles was never abandoned by pro football -- the Express never left town when the Rams and Raiders flew the coop.

 

I actually do have a list of championship games, playoff results and standings (congratulations, by the way, to the Montreal Alouettes, for their championship win over the Houston Thunder last season). The standings are really based on the NFL season -- my league has always had NFL "dopplegangers", mostly because I generally don't have the time (or when I was younger, the know-how) to play out a whole season, and I was just using the NFL standings as a sort of framework to envision my league as that "what-if". So my standings and such are not as "organic" as Veras' AFA series, but I have not been averse to "retrofitting" my standings and some results over the years (the 2002 realignment caused a major retrofit, but I was able to get teams into a much more geographically sensible format for the previous years). Many of the playoffs and championships played out the same way as the NFL (and in most cases, not at all the way the Canadian Football League seasons played out), but I made tweaks over the years to give as many teams as possible their great seasons, championship runs and near misses. The unique thing I chose to do with the league and conference championships was using actual Grey Cup, Vanier Cup, USFL and college bowl results to create a narrative for those games.

The one caveat on the standings is, back in the late '80s, I created 16-game schedules and results for the 1970-77 seasons, based on the NFL's scheduling formula that it began in 1978 (adding two expansion teams in 1970 for a 28-team league, instead of 1976). I did the same for the strike-shortened season of 1982, figuring out the entire season and all the scores, as long as teams ended up in the right places in the standings so as to not change the 1983 schedule. That was a lot of fun to do, but again, in high school and early in college, I had more time to do it. I was very psyched recently to find my original schedule sheets (in pencil) for those 1970-77 seasons in a box in my basement. I'm still looking for one of my original colored-pencil helmet "walls" like the ones I have presented on here.

 

This year? Well, we'll see how it plays out. I have to add in the new BC Lions' black helmet -- that looks sharp, almost an homage to the Michigan Panthers (I'm not a fan of the Lions' orange and white away helmet, though).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Bear    312

Wow. This league goes back into deep history. Looking forward to the uniforms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

I finally found one of my original

hand-drawn colored pencil "helmet walls" for my original Continental Football League -- originally called the North American Football League. Unfortunately the .jpg photos I took with my phone aren't loading up, so I'll have to puzzle that out later.

This format will show my original alignment for the league, and some of the original teams I had. 

The drawings are pretty rough, but consider that I drew them in high school in the late '80s as a teenager. I don't think I've even seen these particular pages in over 20 years. 

The EFC wasn't much different, but the WFC had Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City in the Central Division with Saskatchewan and Winnipeg; and BC, Calgary and Edmonton in the Mountain Division with the Denver Grizzlies and the Seattle Sabres. And there were several teams with different nicknames. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~Bear    312
25 minutes ago, NY_CFL_fan said:

I finally found one of my original

hand-drawn colored pencil "helmet walls" for my original Continental Football League -- originally called the North American Football League. Unfortunately the .jpg photos I took with my phone aren't loading up, so I'll have to puzzle that out later.

This format will show my original alignment for the league, and some of the original teams I had. 

The drawings are pretty rough, but consider that I drew them in high school in the late '80s as a teenager. I don't think I've even seen these particular pages in over 20 years. 

The EFC wasn't much different, but the WFC had Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City in the Central Division with Saskatchewan and Winnipeg; and BC, Calgary and Edmonton in the Mountain Division with the Denver Grizzlies and the Seattle Sabres. And there were several teams with different nicknames. 

Suggestion: take a screenshot with your phone of the picture you took. This tends to work, at least with iPhones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthStar74    11

Wow I gotta say this, I'm impressive with your work so far, man.. yeah I am thinking the helmets should reflect the older eras but ya are doing a great job at showing your imagination of how the league has evolved over the years.. keep up the good work!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

There -- that worked, ~Bear! Thank you for the suggestion.

OK, here are two sets of my original helmet ideas for my personal/fictional football league -- originally called the North AmericanFootball League, but changed over time to the Continental Football League. 

I definitely did these sometime in the late 1980s, so I was in my first two years of college at the time -- probably 1990 or '91 for this first set on here since I used the NY-NJ Knights of the WLAF for my New Jersey Knights. 

Obviously I'm no artist and I traced several of the logos, and you can see my concept league was a mashup of CFL, USFL and WFL ideas. I had forgotten about the Seattle Sabres idea that preceded my Portland Thunderbirds. I had gone fromChicago Blitz to Chicago Skyhawks and kept them for years before going with the Sabres in Chicago, using the Scottish Claymores helmet.

I really liked my original Kansas City Tornado idea with the wraparound streak and silver-and-black style. No idea why I switched it up to purple and gold years later, but I ended up dumping it entirely. You can see my Ottawa Renegades and Carolina Hurricane(s) orginal ideas well before the CFL and NHL teams became reality.

I moved around other cities and several nicknames over the years before settling on my most current alignment.  

 

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9
4 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

Wow I gotta say this, I'm impressive with your work so far, man.. yeah I am thinking the helmets should reflect the older eras but ya are doing a great job at showing your imagination of how the league has evolved over the years.. keep up the good work!!

 

Thanks, NorthStar74, much appreciated! Yeah, the earlier helmets were basically me using what was available on MG's Helmets' excellent site, with the two-bar facemasks and such. It probably wouldn't take much to copy the "classic" logos and paste them onto era-appropriate helmets, but I wanted to get my league up on here. Pro football teams did start using colored facemasks around 1975-76 (Buccaneers, Giants, some WFL teams), so I'm not too far off on those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

As a teaser, here's a list of recent championship games from my personal fictional football league, the Continental Football League. See original posts for some of the backstory for this league. Here are champs for the most recent 8 seasons.....

I have always gone back and forth whether I want my league to be a spring or fall league -- a fall season would have to start at least a month or so early to avoid pushing the season too far into December or January, which would be a little too cold for some of the Canadian teams that don't have domes (I put one in Edmonton, however). A spring league would be interesting, have a March-June regular season with playoffs in July, and the championship games could be played anywhere because weather wouldn't be a factor (Arizona would have had a dome since the '80s), other than rain. I would miss the "Snow Bowl" type games in November/December, though.

So here are recent championship games -- I haven't completely decided on what to call the title game. Over the 30-plus years I've had my league, I have called it the Grey Cup, Continental Cup and Can-Am Cup (after the big trophy the winning teams will be hoisting over their heads as the confetti flies), so I'm looking for a good name for it.

I have stories for all of the championship games, how the teams got there and how the games went. A lot of the more recent games have been pretty exciting, down to the wire thrillers, a nice change from some of the less competitive games of the past. With my league employing a hybrid of Canadian and American rules, and rules changes favoring the passing game, many recent title games have become shootouts with great QBs leading offensive powerhouses.

CFL champs 2008-15.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

Here are some more of the recent championship game matchups from my personal fictional Continental Football League, going back to 1990. I'm still trying to think up a good name for the championship game and the trophy that gives it its name. I have considered just using the Grey Cup, but I was thinking more of modeling the trophy after the Grey Cup but calling it something else (perhaps the Grey Cup could be awarded to the top Canadian team in the Continental Football League each season). I thought of using Can-Am Cup -- but the game is not always between Canadian and American teams, and American teams outnumber Canadian teams 23-9 in the current setup of my CFL. The game is between the Eastern (EFC) and Western (WFC) conference champions each season.

 

CFL champs 1999-2007.pngCFL champs 1990-98.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
osctheg    71

dude this is really cool i still do things like this (im only 13) and this is super cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9
7 hours ago, osctheg said:

dude this is really cool i still do things like this (im only 13) and this is super cool

 

Thank you, I was about 13 or 14 when I started doing this fictional league as a mashup of the USFL, CFL and the old WFL. I haven't been able to catch up with this thread for the last couple of months because of my real-world job, but I'm glad to see some interest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

A few updates to my personal football league -- the Continental Football League:

-- After much thought and hearing some folks wishing I kept the Michigan Panthers and their plum-and-champagne colors, so I decided to bring them back and keep them instead of changing them to the Michigan Wolfpack circa 1980.

-- Since I really like the Wolfpack name, maroon and silver colors and logos, I decided to play musical nicknames and colors, as follows:

 

1. I changed Chicago from the Marauders to the Wolfpack -- since there has been a Chicago Wolves hockey team in the AHL, Wolfpack would be a natural extension (and since they formed in the late 1950s, they predate the Wolves by more than 30 years). The Chicago Wolfpack's maroon and silver or maroon and black colors would be perfect for a Chicago team, with the University of Chicago Maroons part of its sporting history.

2. I bumped the Marauders from Chicago down to Houston -- a black and silver pirate motif for a coastal team. So voila, the Houston Marauders.

3. I bumped the Thunder from Houston over to Orlando. Note that this is NOT the Orlando Thunder of the old World League of American Football -- no fluorescent lime green! My original plan for my Orlando Thunder was to use dark green and black (think the University of Hawaii Warriors), before I switched them to Houston.

4. Moving the Thunder back to Orlando bumps out the Orlando Predators -- I like the nickname and logo, so I'm hoping to save it for another time and franchise, perhaps a franchise move in the near future? I already had plenty of teams with black and red as their primary colors.

5. Ok, now my original thought was to have Disney purchase the Tampa Bay Bandits in the late 1980s and move them to Orlando (as the Thunder or Predators) -- roughly the same timing as the Mighty Ducks and Magic. Now with bringing the Orlando Thunder back, I figured purple, silver and black would be a more likely "Disney" color combination than dark green and black -- so I decided to swap the colors of the Orlando Thunder with the St. Louis Mustangs. I did like purple and silver as the Mustangs' colors, but they also look good with dark green, black and silver.

 

As always, this league is just for my personal enjoyment, and all credit for the helmet artwork belongs to the original artists and leagues.

 

I added the current helmet "walls" for the Eastern and Western Football Conferences below:

CFL 2010-present EFC.png

CFL 2010-present WFC.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkg74    23
On 7/10/2016 at 0:40 PM, NY_CFL_fan said:

There -- that worked, ~Bear! Thank you for the suggestion.

OK, here are two sets of my original helmet ideas for my personal/fictional football league -- originally called the North AmericanFootball League, but changed over time to the Continental Football League. 

I definitely did these sometime in the late 1980s, so I was in my first two years of college at the time -- probably 1990 or '91 for this first set on here since I used the NY-NJ Knights of the WLAF for my New Jersey Knights. 

Obviously I'm no artist and I traced several of the logos, and you can see my concept league was a mashup of CFL, USFL and WFL ideas. I had forgotten about the Seattle Sabres idea that preceded my Portland Thunderbirds. I had gone fromChicago Blitz to Chicago Skyhawks and kept them for years before going with the Sabres in Chicago, using the Scottish Claymores helmet.

I really liked my original Kansas City Tornado idea with the wraparound streak and silver-and-black style. No idea why I switched it up to purple and gold years later, but I ended up dumping it entirely. You can see my Ottawa Renegades and Carolina Hurricane(s) orginal ideas well before the CFL and NHL teams became reality.

I moved around other cities and several nicknames over the years before settling on my most current alignment.  

 

image.jpgimage.jpg198image.jpgimage.jpg

Love seeing stuff like this, i used to do this too. Combine USFL( the 18 1984 teams) WLAF(The 10 1991 teams,moved the Riders to Austin and Fire to Orlando to avoid conflict with the Gunslingers/Stallions, everything else intact), make schedules with 28 teams which was cake but fun.

 

Very nice work, especially the originals like Toros,Wolfpack,Hurricanes(you beat the NHL by a few years so awewsome!!!) Tornadoes, etc etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

Thanks very much, mkg74! That's exactly what I did with mine -- but my teams were basically doppelgängers for NFL teams, which made scheduling even easier. I did go back and do the 1970-77 schedules according to the NFL's scheduling system that started in 1978, but using my league, which was fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JH42XCC    44
20 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Is this dead for just forgotten?

I'm guessing it's the latter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NY_CFL_fan    9

Not forgotten, I just don't get on here as much as I'd like. I'm thinking of displaying each team's helmet designs over time, but trying to figure out the best way to display them. Also I altered the history of my LA Express and Arizona Inferno -- with the Express existing since the mid-1960s along with the Southern California Sun, but based in San Diego. The Sun then moved to Phoenix in the mid 1970s to become the Arizona Inferno. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now