High School Wildcat Logo

SkyCal

This is my first post ever to the forum as well as my first time designing a sports logo.  I have some experience designing word marks and simple logos for friends and family, but I have never tried my hand at a completely original sports logo.  I was inspired by one of the threads here that redesigns high school logos and I finally found the time to take a stab at redesigning the high school where I live in Kingsland, Georgia.  The Camden County Wildcats currently use the ever popular Clemson paw with their school colors navy and columbia blue.  I welcome any and all critiques because I would like to refine it and be able to take it to the school someday.  They have a power-house football program and are one of the flagship schools in the state of Georgia so I feel that they need their own identity.  I have to give credit to Conrad for the font, Pullman, which can be found here https://fontsbyconrad.wordpress.com/2014/11/11/adidas-nike-mixpack/ .  The word mark I just threw in there last minute so I am mainly just focused on the wildcat logo for critique.  I will eventually create a custom font for them too.  Thanks!

WILDCATGRAPHIC.png

As I am taking a look at this, there are a couple of things I'd like to hopefully point you to to help make this better.

1. Even though you said the eyes were hard to distinguish, you really did distinguish it, but in the wrong way. The eyes actually don't really look like eyes. Try looking for some logos of animals with simple eyes (like the Denver Broncos) and try something like that.

2. The things under the bottom eyebrows are kind of unneeded. Remove those altogether, let me know if you need further specification.

3. I would try only using one eyebrow on top, just because two eyebrows is just too busy up there.

4. The creases above the eyebrows should be removed altogether as well.

Hopefully this helps! Oh and also, these are suggestions, not demands.:)

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

Thanks for taking the time to critique my work @Broncoboy7 I really appreciate it!  So what I gathered from you is that the eye, brow, nose/bridge area was an area of confusion and needed the most work.  I definitely agree, just couldn't figure it out. That was something I kept asking my wife while designing it is if it was too busy in the that area.  

My vision for the shapes under the eyes were to create an eye-black shape but that they could also be taken as cheek bones if that makes any sense.

Also, I had the creases above the brow just to have something in the negative space and as you pointed out, they were there but not really serving a purpose.  

Here is the logo with your revisions added.  Thoughts? 

Wildcatfixes1.png

The overall triangular shape of the head seems to be way off for me. When I look at a photo of a front facing wildcat, I just don't see the face shape as what you have presented here. The whisker type things on the sides of the face are huge, almost claw like, and don't seem in the correct anatomical position. I think the eyes could be bigger and the brow smaller. The shape and position of the mouth look good.

Do you have a reference photo?

Thanks for your input @Whitefoot I have to disagree about cats not having a triangular shape to their heads.  It is especially pronounced when their mouth is open.  If you look at the top of his head, it is generally flat and if you take away the fur on the sides, it is relatively triangular from the head on perspective.  But I do agree about the eyes needing to be bigger and that the whiskers are too large.  Below is my reference image but my logo is a very loose interpretation of it.  

Scottish-Wildcat-010.jpg

7 hours ago, SkyCal said:

I have to disagree about cats not having a triangular shape to their heads.  It is especially pronounced when their mouth is open.  If you look at the top of his head, it is generally flat and if you take away the fur on the sides, it is relatively triangular from the head on perspective. 

The overall shape of the head+ears may be triangular, but the head itself is most definitely not triangular, and you will need to add lines and shadows that follow the rounded contours of the top of the head to convey that. I don't know how else to say this, but right now the logo reminds me of Frankenstein because the ears are not clearly ears making the forehead look huge. I can tell that this is one of those concepts that has a lot of potential to turn out if you take the C&C and make updates. But right now, honestly I cannot tell for certain what animal it is.

I see what you guys are saying.  I only have about 5 minutes this morning, so I quickly added lines at the bottom of the ears to define the shape of the face.  I'll need to fix the angles later, but just wanted to throw those in there to see if it starts to correct the shape for you guys.  Thank you.

WILDCATDraft.png

That's looking a lot better.  Also your outlines don't look right.  The navy and white outline above the ears should curve above the forehead not above the ears themselves, and similarly it looks awkward below the chin as well.  Good progress though so far.

Thanks for the input guys.  @appleclock I didn't even notice the outline was off until you pointed it out.  That's why I brought my work here.  Here is my latest update.  Definitely starting to look more like a cat.

CatsNew1.png

the components are all there for a killer logo, especially at the high school level, but I just cant shake the eyes. Its something about how they're seemingly looking downward and across each other. looking straight forward would be far more menacing and clean looking.

19 hours ago, Broncoboy7 said:

I actually agree with your decision to remove the tongue, it makes it look more like a logo. Are you sending this in to a high school or just doing it for fun? Because this one might be the best.

I do plan on taking it to the high school someday, but for now, it was just something I really wanted to do.  Might just use it for my son's youth teams and maybe it will catch on.  

6 minutes ago, Moom said:

the components are all there for a killer logo, especially at the high school level, but I just cant shake the eyes. Its something about how they're seemingly looking downward and across each other. looking straight forward would be far more menacing and clean looking.

Thank you!  Question, are you looking at the latest uploaded logo?  I see how you could see that in the first few, but my latest logo has the eyes looking straight forward.  If you still see it in that one, please let me know.  

I think the eyes look fine.  What's bugging me right now is everything between the mouth and the eyes.  The bags beneath the eyes, the cheeks, and the nose.  The cheeks especially.  The cheeks come in way too far over the mouth, almost to the nose.  This basically eliminates any notion of the cat having a snout.  I would work on making this cat have a well-defined snout, closer to what we see in the reference image (basically those two white shapes above the mouth where the whiskers are protruding from).

Archived