Lights Out's NHL: Golden Knights, Capitals, and Jets Winter Classic (p. 5)

Lights Out

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avs: there are people in the world who are known as butterfaces.  This is the jersey equivalent: I like everything but the crest.

Flames: having used that unused C in a concept myself, I can safely say you could have chosen much better striping to complement it than what you went with.

Devils: I see what you're doing with the green...that said, if this were one of mine, I'm not sure I wouldn't tweak this by tomorrow, by blending the black and green into a really dark green for example (what I wound up doing with a North Stars concept)

Bruins third: unless that's supposed to be a Stadium Series jersey, the sleeve numbers seem like they're too big...nice homage though.

Love the Isles set, though I would've gone with an NY on the orange instead of BKLYN.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

While I work on tweaking some of my previous concepts, here's a couple more to tide you guys over.

8Zwy6YA.png

Here's another take on the Golden Knights from me. For the home and road sweaters, I settled on a V-shaped striping motif but wanted to distinguish them from my Canucks concept from earlier in the thread, so it only appears on the sleeves. The third jersey gets an angled chest stripe that matches the contours of the alternate logo.

kmXKaZU.png

The Habs have a classic look for sure, but they could use a few tweaks, IMO - especially to their road whites, which I've never liked. I tried to make their chest stripe as continuous as possible, and I put the sleeve numbers inside the stripe as they did in the '60s and '70s. The road jersey is based on their old third, and they get a new third that combines their iconic look with a significantly toned-down homage to these eyesores.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Guest darkpiranha

I actually really like the Blues' vertical striping for one reason- it evokes a feeling of a marching band outfit, which while not something specifically affiliated with blues music, is still musical overall.  Love, love, love the Devils.  All three.  The Devils have been mired in an overly-traditional style since they ditched the green, and this really ratchets up the excitement level for the team. Montreal is also a design I could really get behind.  *

* I'm a non-purist, especially when it comes to these concept forums, so I'm in favor of any design that's fun and creative and well-constructed.    

XUDouAh.png

I think the Oilers have the right idea in embracing a new look for a new era, but I don't think reaching back to their WHA days is the way to go. I gave them a more industrial, "oily" color scheme and some streamlined new gear. The sleeves on the home and road sweaters are intended to look like oil droplets. The third is a different take on their Gretzky-era look.

lAAuKBn.png

It dawned on me recently that the Capitals' current template would look much better on the Predators. Am I the only one who thinks the Caps' striping looks like fangs? Here's my attempt at making it work. I also worked in some of the unique steel blue/silver color from their old logo.

xLmjWVv.png

I just looked through the entire thread and great job on a lot of these concepts. I absolutely love Montreal's Third and the Predators don't look too shabby either. My one problem is with Edmonton. I get where you are going with the color scheme, but the Orange just seems a little too dull for my taste. Maybe try and brighten the Orange a little bit while still making it work with the rest of the color scheme, that's just my opinion, though.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Interesting look for Vegas.  The more I look at the V sleeves, the more I like them.  Also liking the return to the navy/bronze scheme for the Oilers, though I'm not a fan of the number font you chose for the third. 

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

MRHKu4O.png

Not much changes with the Red Wings' classic home and road look. I decided to use their Winter Classic number font, which looks appropriately classic yet distinctive, make the striping more consistent and give them lace-up collars. The alternate is a mix between their Stadium Series uniform and the Detroit Falcons.

Qh0252h.png

The Hurricanes' real new look is a step in the right direction, but it's not nearly enough. I brought back the hurricane-flag pattern too, but made it actually visible in the stripes and even added it to the collar. I also tweaked their primary logo to fix the perspective issues and the alternate logo to make it look like an actual hurricane warning flag, not a tropical storm warning flag.

xLmjWVv.png

Mavy65w.png

The Rangers get some striping consistency, a new font (IMO, the wordmarks really need one) and yokes shaped like their primary logo. The third is a different take on the Rangers' much-beloved Lady Liberty look.

ZomUovO.png

The Jets get some distinct shoulder and side striping on their normal home and road - a unique take on classic striping. The third has a striping design based on jets in flight, with their "Winnipeg" wordmark across the front. Despite my thread in the Requests forum asking for it, I ended up being able to reconstruct it myself. And yes, that is the Thrashers' old third jersey template on all three sweaters.

xLmjWVv.png

We've come to the last two teams!

esSCoiZ.png

For their new home and road, the Blue Jackets get a striping design based on their unused logo. I also worked in some neon green and periwinkle to further set them apart from all the other navy/red teams in sports. The third pays homage to the Cleveland Barons.

2emyRSX.png

The presidential seal color scheme makes its return for the Capitals. The Caps get a classic uniform with a tasteful striping design based on the flag of Washington DC. The main crest is a greatly toned down version of the logo from their old third jersey, and the Weagle remains on the shoulders.

Next up, I plan to tweak some of my previous concepts I'm unhappy with, then maybe do some defunct teams and some Winter Classic/Stadium Series ideas.

xLmjWVv.png

The Capitals main set looks astounding, love the simple but meaningful striping and the primary logo is better than anything the actual team has used.  The bronze alternate is a little too much.  What about doing something with black?

Here's a couple defunct teams:

tnBwLfZ.png

For the Thrashers, I decided to use their original proposed color scheme instead of their actual color scheme. The home and road have a striping design based on their alternate logo, while the infamous asymmetrical sweater returns as a third jersey with a different color scheme.

j2dtOVC.png

For the Whalers, I blended the design of their final uniform set with the emphasis on green that they had for most of their history. The alternate is a fauxback based on their mid-'70s road sweater.

xLmjWVv.png

Here's the first two Winter Classic concepts. I've decided to use the old-school CCM cut for all of them just to accentuate the vintage feel.

wwItkM1.png

The Ducks get a modernized version of their old third jerseys, which happen to be my favorite look they've ever worn.

InXK8Tf.png

Arizona also gets an updated take on an old third jersey as the basis for their Winter Classic gear. For the main crest, I decided to use one of the prototype logos that the Coyotes showed to focus groups while designing their current logo. I felt it was a good intermediary between the "Picasso" coyote and the current one.

Not every road sweater will be vintage white, BTW - it was just coincidental that the first two are.

xLmjWVv.png

gKMGlsg.png

The Bruins' Winter Classic set is inspired by their 1940-44 set, but with black changed to brown and the striping made more consistent. I decided to keep the front numbers on the road whites because it's a distinctive look.

D6qMYDG.png

The Sabres get a throwback-inspired look for the Winter Classic with a few tweaks. Perhaps the most noticeable tweak is to the logo. I have never liked the rendering of the buffalo on their classic logo, so I swapped it out for one of the silhouettes they were considering during the design process for the Buffaslug. I also tweaked the striping on the road whites to make it consistent between the sleeves and the hem, and I ditched the redundant shoulder logos.

xLmjWVv.png

5yeC3Q5.png

The Blackhawks' Winter Classic set is based on their barberpole look from the '40s and '50s. Chicago has thrown back to the black sweaters from this set in the past, but to the best of my knowledge, they have never thrown back to the matching white sweaters.

729VhyK.png

The Avs' Winter Classic set is based on the Nordiques' inaugural uniforms from the WHA era, but with Colorado flair.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived