NHL Adidas 2017 (Calgary, 2/32)

dodgerdog16

Vancouver Canucks

So for the Vancouver Canucks, I kept things cool, clean and simple. The stripes really go along with -drumroll please - Johnny Canuck!!! Yeah I brought this guy back from the alternate spectrum to the primary. When I first heard about the Canucks, I thought a Canuck was another name for an orca. I then came to realize it was a term for Canadians. It confuses me why the owners even made an orca logo. Oh well. I cleaned it. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Vancouver Canucks NHL Adidas Uniforms.png

I understand the logic behind the Adidas hem, but I feel like it drags down an otherwise great set. 

I don't want you to take this as a criticism of your talent.

The idea of 32 teams skating around with those gimmicky stripe abominations makes me want to go buy a waterproof case for my phone, so I can sob my way through a rape shower. All the while, scrolling nostalgically through pictures of original Reebok Egde designs and 90's gradient alternates.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Just so you know stripes on hockey socks are much lower down. You have to think that they go up to your mid thigh under the pants, the seem in the middle is generally about the knee so you want your stripes lower than that and higher than the two seems at the bottom also the stripes on the pants stop at the hip pads

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

39 minutes ago, dodgerdog16 said:

I think the Adidas stripes fixes the issue. I'd rather not have them, but I'm gonna try to get used to them since it'll probably be what ends up happening in 2017.

The NHL and the individual teams wouldn't allow that, no professional league in America outside of MLS has caved to having adidas allow their 3 stripes, it's not even allowed in college. Regular full stripes is the only way to go since the template really isn't much different than current rbk jerseys in the NHL which is owned my adidas anyways.

2 hours ago, dodgerdog16 said:

I think the Adidas stripes fixes the issue. I'd rather not have them, but I'm gonna try to get used to them since it'll probably be what ends up happening in 2017.

Still an eyesore, I highly doubt the League would allow this, much less any original 6 or first expansion team.

It's your concept series, but a traditional hem on this would actually be a great concept. Both versions you've put out so far make me dread this series, a bit.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Adidas stripes and aborted hemlines aside...

Any Canucks concept is instantly improved by removing the Vancouver wordmark, so kudos to that. 

The full-body Johnny Canuck makes for an awful primary. One, it's too cartoony (which you have no control over). Two, It's jagged and asymmetrical. Maybe consider the V with JC head that you inserted as the secondary; that's a JC logo I can get behind.

Calgary Flames

Alright so the next team is the Calgary Flames. To me, I always think that black is way overused on sports teams color schemes - when they aren't intended to be a main color. Sometimes it needs to be eliminated (MLB's Mets), but in this case, limited. So thats what I did. I tried to make a nice balance with it and clean up the set. I also cleaned up and slicked out the flaming "C" and also added fire sleeves that were inspired by Canada's World Cup of Hockey jerseys. Let me know what you think!

Calgary Flames NHL Adidas Uniforms.png

To be honest, I feel like the change to the c was a change for the worst. I feel it doesn't look like a flame anymore. Also, the flames on the cuffs look like clip art and I feel like it's too blank on the hem. It's a good idea, but lacks execution.

I love the look of the cleaned up Vancouver. 

Calgary is an interesting idea. I agree that it lacks execution, but am open to the concept. I would consider the old logo. I would consider flames on the hem, and going with red, instead of yellow, on the road sweater.

Archived