Company Rebrands: Braum's

29texan

I'm starting a new series in which I'll remake and rebrand some logos of current restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc... 
Starting with:

Braum's Ice Cream & Dairy Store/Burger Restaurant - Founded in Oklahoma City and mostly seen around Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and North Texas, this restaurant was built on ice cream and dairy products, but also features hamburgers and fresh produce. 

216-1.jpg

The current logo is pretty outdated, so I'd thought I would make a more modern version of it.

Old v. New

4XnlZtN.jpg

And two distinct logos for the Dairy Store (which I would imagine it to be smaller) and the burger restaurant. 

3KjXM9u.jpg

H9DZRP8.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Very good. Also interesting that such a local company would pop up on the CCSLC. 

I feel like the logo is so close to being perfect, but perhaps changing the ice cream color to a very light creamy color. Other than that, I suggest sending the logo to the company. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Even though it's headquartered in OKC, I still see a lot of them here in Fort Worth. There's about 3 of them in my neighborhood. 

The cone, I think I could look at making it a little lighter. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

The idea is more modern but the execution needs fixing, in my opinion. The lines and colors need to be cleaned up. If you want a more modern look, use simpler shapes. The ice cream made of a circle and not ellipses, and the cone without the blocky curve. I would also make the cone smaller within the B, or bigger than the B. Yours being that close to the edge is an uncomfortable place inbetween.

I'm also not a fan of the 'primary' logo with the box. Its very uncoordinated with the logo. Perhaps keep the font (which is good) standalone and ditch the enclosed box idea. 

My critiquing to this logo is pretty similar to @Moom but bear with me here. Like Moom said, the execution needs some work. I can see some spots in this logo that need to be smoothen out and made to look like a cleaner logo, the most emphasis being on the ice cream scoop on top of the cone.

As for the B, you should just completely get rid of that as far as the logo goes and just convert it to a wordmark under the ice cream cone. It would just make it look more modern.

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

4 hours ago, Broncoboy7 said:

My critiquing to this logo is pretty similar to @Moom but bear with me here. Like Moom said, the execution needs some work. I can see some spots in this logo that need to be smoothen out and made to look like a cleaner logo, the most emphasis being on the ice cream scoop on top of the cone.

As for the B, you should just completely get rid of that as far as the logo goes and just convert it to a wordmark under the ice cream cone. It would just make it look more modern.

14 hours ago, Moom said:

The idea is more modern but the execution needs fixing, in my opinion. The lines and colors need to be cleaned up. If you want a more modern look, use simpler shapes. The ice cream made of a circle and not ellipses, and the cone without the blocky curve. I would also make the cone smaller within the B, or bigger than the B. Yours being that close to the edge is an uncomfortable place inbetween.

I'm also not a fan of the 'primary' logo with the box. Its very uncoordinated with the logo. Perhaps keep the font (which is good) standalone and ditch the enclosed box idea. 

I think I know what you mean about fixing the lines, but what do you mean by fixing the colors?

I think I'll make the cone smaller within the B, but don't want to get rid of the B in general. 
I think I can do without the box...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

The ice cream cone on its own can be a great stand alone logo and perfect icon for this. I would honestly work on that and go from there. 

To echo what's been said before: the concept is somewhat there, but the execution needs refinement. I agree with Broncoboy's idea of converting the store name to a wordmark, but maybe with the ice cream cone as an icon. Play with some different fonts and don't limit yourself to just slabs and serifs because it's being used currently. I'd also suggest doing a little more research on the company and their competitors so you can see how you can differentiate your logo from the rest.

As far as colors go - the color palette you selected is pretty drab. Brighten it up some and maybe go outside the box of the traditional red,white and blue. Ice cream should be a fun concept, not depressing.

I like it, good showing. Big fan of Braums and it's a clean update.

I know I'm being "that guy" but shouldn't this be in General Design? You know, the thread for non-sports concepts?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I actually think that the concepts thread is for all concepts, since it doesn't say that it's specifically for sports anywhere (correct me if I'm wrong) plus, you get a lot more exposure posting it here, as opposed to putting it in General Design. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Well the concepts page reads:

Got a sports logo or uniform design to show off to the world? Looking for some constructive criticism? This is the place to post it.

While the General Design one says:

Place to talk and share all designs that have nothing to do with sports

I know I'm likely coming across as a prick (really not my intent), but it seems pretty clear to me.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Well I'll just keep posting here until the mods decide to move it.

No big deal to me, just as long as I have a place to show my work...

Speaking of which, I'll get to redesigning this one soon. 

(busy)

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

What changed:

- Ice cream cone now the main focus, and modified. 

- Colors changed from R/W/B to a purple and dark pink 

- No box
- Primary now has oval shapes as a background for the ice cream cone 
- Text minimized, placed on top of primary logo
- "Braum's" is the only text on logo.

WGutjB6.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

It doesn't look like ice cream.  It looks like a porch decoration or something.

4303FME_LR__45506.1452196778.1280.1280.j

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Lower case.  Both old and proposed logo look way too serious to be an ice cream shop.

Lower case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Both old and proposed logo look way too serious to be an ice cream shop.

Agreed 100%. There's no sense of whimsy or fun in these. While the color scheme is an upgrade (albeit slightly), it's lacking the "fun" element.

Other thoughts:

• Google up "Ice Cream Logo Designs" or even search "ice cream" on dribbble. This should help you with the design of the ice cream cone.  
  • Center the wordmark above the oval. It's too far to the left.
  • Some of the curves on the "B" are really pixelated. Clean up those edges.

So even with the hidden smile in the cone, you still think it's too serious? 

As for the lines, I may need some help with that... I'm doing this on SketchUp and Photoshop, so is there a better way to smooth out the lines? Anyone with more experience?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Archived