MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

I don't think there's much disagreement on what the Angels ought to be. The current script/logo is just really nice but they need a blue primary cap and the red on red alt and the drop shadow needs to go. They also needed to cut a sleeve patch and bring back the haloed California. Just for good measure I've added a blue alt jersey and the classic stirrups. There's no halo cap because adding a halo on top of the existing "A" logo looks really weird without a halo and if I leave it as is then there's two halos on one cap. (kind of like the dolphin wearing a helmet on the Miami Dolphins helmet...)

Home.png

Away.png

Alternate.png

Red Alt 2.png

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swingin' A's time. I've been excited about redoing the A's and going back to the Charlie O'Finley looks. Keeping with that, there is no grey road. It's either all green, all gold, or a softball top. White shoes and gold sanis of course (except for the all gold set which uses white sanis just like the originals). While the script "Oakland" and "Athletics" are nice, they just can't beat having that big "A's" on the chest. So like the original Swingin' A's we've got that for the home and away. For the shade of green, I used something not quite a bright Kelly green but a little closer to the original KC A's. This uniform is bright enough. For stripes I've used a condensed version of the early '70s sleeves. I've reintroduced the McAuliffe font the '60s uniforms and lined up the front numbers with the logos. For the solid gold alt, I'm thrilled to use the standing elephant which is also reminiscent of the old Philly A's of Connie Mack

C&C as always, Enjoy!

Home.png

Road.png

Alternate2.png

softball1.png

Softball2.png

Beautiful work on this series. The A's home unis and yellow top/white bottoms sets are gorgeous.

As an Astros fan, I think that's the best Astros set I've seen on these boards.  The dark navy blue with white ASTROS lettering is the alt their set has been missing. The number on the pants immediately makes me think of the JR Richard era. Great job all around. 

12 minutes ago, mmejia said:

Beautiful work on this series. The A's home unis and yellow top/white bottoms sets are gorgeous.

As an Astros fan, I think that's the best Astros set I've seen on these boards.  The dark navy blue with white ASTROS lettering is the alt their set has been missing. The number on the pants immediately makes me think of the JR Richards era. Great job all around. 

Thanks! Although a quick Google search just now has revealed that I put the number on the wrong side of the pants! I'm a Sox fan so I assumed it was the same side as the 83 White Sox. 

Yep, that got by me, too. Still great work. 

jrrichardpitching-624x561.jpg

Below is the white lettering on blue I was talking about. The Astros need to reincorporate more of this back into their identity. They've opted more for orange on blue (and blue on orange) and I feel the white on blue is much less garish, especially when combined with the rainbow, which is such a dramatic element already. 

96667a_lg.jpeg

Blue. I like the idea of a lot of dark navy blue as it implies space. Orange, especially in the rainbow/gradient form, implies fire and propulsion, which means it should be limited to trim elements smaller than an undersleeve. 

2 minutes ago, mmejia said:

Blue. I like the idea of a lot of dark navy blue as it implies space. Orange, especially in the rainbow/gradient form, implies fire and propulsion, which means it should be limited to trim elements smaller than and undersleeve. 

Very cool thought process. I've revised the home alt with that in mind.

Home Alternate 2.png

Mariners up next. 

So I went back and forth a lot on this one: navy/teal or royal/gold? Ultimately, having grown up in the '90s with the Junior Griffey/Randy Johnson/A-Rod teams, I had to go with the navy/teal look. Not only does it represent the clubs only playoff appearances, but its also a totally unique look in baseball and the crisp navy blue, white, and teal look great under the lights at Safeco. Plus, I'd already gone royal and gold with the Brewers, the original Seattle Pilots and I didn't want to do that scheme twice. There's always a chance to do a throwback game and I even added in a twist on the current fauxback for good measure. 

The original uniforms were close to perfect so I've revived the old outlining on the home and road jerseys and added the twist of making the numbers match the script. So the home numbers have a silver outline, the away numbers have a white outline. I also altered the teal jersey to match the teal cap worn back in the day (which I actually owned as a kid) having script and numbers with a silver/teal/navy pattern. Since the cream unis have come under fire lately, I made them royal blue softball tops with script matching the current royal cap and swapped out cream for white. 

Rangers finish up the official series tomorrow with Outtakes on Friday. C&C as always. Enjoy!

Home.png

Away.png

Alternate.png

Royal.png

No complaints about the Mariners (despite the fact that they just humiliated the Sox in a series we could have easily swept...). Personally I prefer their wordmark from the early '80s, but there's nothing wrong with their current style. The blue alternate with white in place of cream is a nice compromise between their modern identity and the fauxback.

Today we finish out the series with the Texas Rangers. I know there are folks out there nostalgic for the look of the 80's but I am not among them. It always seemed super generic to me and since the Pudge Rodriguez days they've have a nice identity. I even appreciate their decision to wear "TEXAS" at home as its broader and more concise than the "RANGERS" script. What they really need to do is fix their piping to match the three color design on the script. I also love the idea of red caps at home and blue on the road. So that's what I've done. I added red and blue alt jersey for home and away respectively with the more elaborate script. The flag patch is ridiculous for a lot of reasons so I just took one of their secondary logos instead. One final change is that I got rid of the current Western "T" for the cap and made it match the jersey, which in my opinion is a superior design. 

So now that we're at the end of the series, what was your favorite design in each league? Overall? Favorite division? 

C&C always. Outtakes tomorrow. Enjoy!

Home.png

Red Alt.png

Road.png

Alt.png

Archived