MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

Great series! I've really enjoyed it. I think my favorite NL one is the Phillies (maroon set) and for the AL...though I'll always see them as an NL team...is the Astros. I mean, WOW. Honorable mention: Arizona (you've made the most of their mess) and the O's (that font!).

As for the last two designs, I favor the late-Griffey era so the set looks great...I am gonna miss the teal top cap and the 1999 Alternates which would look great on the road. Speaking of the road, their current stirrups might look better on the road. The fauxback in blue is a nice touch.??

As for the Rangers, I think r/w/b is the best piping option. I'm not a fan on the city/state on the Home jersey...though I tend to favor the idea for the Home Alternate (to give fans an alternative look). Anyways, excellent work! Can't wait to see the "Outtakes."

image.jpegThat's me giving you a high 5!✋?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

So now that we're at the end of the series, what was your favorite design in each league? Overall? Favorite division? 

C&C always. Outtakes tomorrow. Enjoy!

Favorite design by division:

NL East - Marlins

NL Central - Brewers

NL West - Diamondbacks

AL East - Red Sox

AL Central - White Sox

AL West - A's

Favorite division overall was probably the NL Central.

Excited to see your outtakes and unused ideas!

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think my favorites wound up as follows:

NL East: Phillies

NL Central: Cubs

NL West: Rockies

AL East: Rays

AL Central: White Sox

AL West: Astros

All good choices!

OK folks. Today's is a day for outtakes, one-offs, and other designs that just didn't make the cut. Often these weren't included because I came up with something better, or it was inconsistent with the overall design, or I was looking at too many alts. I'll make another post later today with some additional stuff but here we go!

Tigers road with white outline on caps and socks.

Astros sunrise shooting star

Astros Tequilla Moonrise road uniform

Astros Orange alt

Braves T-Bar Alt

Padres "San Diego Script"

Padres two color SD

Brewers Color Swapped

Brewers Pilots Colors

White Sox White Sleeved Road

White Sox Grey

White Sox Spring Training

White Sox 3 Half Way to St. Pats Ideas

Diamondbacks All Black

Twins Red

Cubs Alt Road
Mariners Navy Jersey with Silver Brim Cap

Road.png

Home5.png

Road2.png

Road5.png

Alternate.png

Padres Road.png

Padres Road 2.png

Home.png

Road.png

Home Small Barley.png

Road.png

Road Alt.png

Sleeve Quick Fix Away Uniform Alt Sleeves.png

Sleeve Quick Fix Away Uniform Away Grey.png

BP-Spring 2.png

Alt Alt St Pats B.png

Alt Alt St Pats.png

Alt St Pats.png

Alt.png

Home1.png

Road.png

Alternate A.png

Alternate2.png

Love the Outtakes!!! Too late to put in a request? If not, can you do a Royals blue-top alternate with gold letters and numbers...with blue outlines...with gold in between blue pipping (à la Orioles black jersey)? 

I really like a lot of these outtakes and alternates. 

The tequila sunrise shooting star lines for Houston? Awesome. And tequila moonrise? GENIUS! Those shades of blue don't work as well on the orange alternate, but they look beautiful on the road gray set. How would the shooting star lines look if you used the moonrise pattern on them as well?

I like the Sox home gray set, but I appreciate that you were daring and tried something completely different. 

Which is your favorite Halfway to St. Patty's Day set for the Sox?

That Cubs alternate is great. Reminds me of their underrated early '80s road jersey

A request: Could you do that "Crowned Royals" KC set with the shoulder patch on the front of the jersey?

It never crossed my mind when you posted it, but any reason you didn't go with the "Kansas City" script for the Royals road set?

22 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I really like a lot of these outtakes and alternates. 

The tequila sunrise shooting star lines for Houston? Awesome. And tequila moonrise? GENIUS! Those shades of blue don't work as well on the orange alternate, but they look beautiful on the road gray set. How would the shooting star lines look if you used the moonrise pattern on them as well?

I like the Sox home gray set, but I appreciate that you were daring and tried something completely different. 

Which is your favorite Halfway to St. Patty's Day set for the Sox?

That Cubs alternate is great. 

A request: Could you do that "Crowned Royals" KC set with the shoulder patch on the front of the jersey?

It never crossed my mind when you posted it, but any reason you didn't go with the "Kansas City" script for the Royals road set?

My favorite Half Way to St. Pats is probably the all white. Somehow I think it would look best on the field. I actually thought about doing the "Kansas City" script on the powder blue road set but I ran into a few problems: 1. The Bo Jackson teams wore "Royals" on their baby blues; 2. I think the uniform looks a little better with larger letters; and 3. To get the look right, the script needed to be white with a blue outline and I was having a really hard time finding a version of the script that I could manipulate to be white with blue outline without going in an using a pencil tool to alter each pixel individually. 

How do these look on the Astros? Also here's your Friday shot of crowned Royals.

Road6.png

Crowned Royals 2.png

Dude, that Astros set is brilliant. Good call changing the color of the star so the jersey retains at least some orange. 

And I am absolutely in love with that Royals set. I can't believe they've never worn something like that before. 

40 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

...And tequila moonrise? GENIUS! Those shades of blue don't work as well on the orange alternate...

I agree, the moonrise idea is brilliant!!! I think it's the last blue that doesn't work. I love the idea behind it (looking like one color from a distance), but that last blue is kinda stealing the show, I think.

2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Like so?

Also surprised no one has mentioned the Black Adder DBacks.

Road8.png

Now THAT looks nice. 

And that D-Backs is a little crazy. I'm not sure the diamond pattern works on an all black uniform as well as it does on the white and gray ones. 

Congrats on completing your series! This is the first time I've posted on this thread, so I'll try to comment on all of the concepts. This is going to be a long one.

Braves: This one of the more effective simplifications of the Braves' uniforms I've seen, and I like how you reinstated the home cap on the road, alongside the contrast-colored tomahawk and striped socks. The alternate is also pretty pleasing.

Marlins: I enjoyed the color scheme of your update and the orange-centric colorway, but I'm not the biggest fan of the placket piping or "Miami" script on the home uniform.

Mets: The black-less drop shadow is well-executed. While I'd don't want the Mets to revisit drop shadow, your concept shows how it can be done tastefully.

Phillies: The cleaned-up script and the new color scheme look wonderful, and the alternates (both maroon and scarlet) are good additions to the set.

Nationals: I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling the double placket piping on the home and road uniforms or the large sock stripe. A smaller sock stripe would greatly improve the overall look of the set.

Cubs: I rather like what you've done with the home/road set (and the thinning of the logo), and you're alternate certainly goes all out! Good job.

Reds: Ditching black was a good call, but I can't really get behind the custom font. Maybe trying a block variant would improve the look? The colored belt loops are nice too, but I'd prefer Tigers-style belt loops (to show as much red as possible).

Brewers: Easily my favorite concept in this whole series. I really like your new script, as well as your use of Beer Barrelman and a new Wisconsin logo. My only complaint is that you used the yellow front-panel cap on the road jersey, but that's merely a matter of personal preference. Also, I'd like to see your take on an "M" logo and a "Milwaukee" script.

Pirates: While I dislike mix-n-match uniforms, I think you managed to pull it off tastefully. Well done.

Cardinals: Not much to say really (as there isn't much changed), but I like how you stuck a red bill on the navy hat (something I've wanted done for a long time). 

Diamondbacks: I'm not the biggest fan of the diamond pattern, but I like how you were able to use it in a slightly more subtle way than the actual team (I assume it would be a little more subtle in a real-world application). The only complaint I have comes in regard to the color flip on the road grey. I'd rather have red scripts and numbers, to go with the cap and socks. Other than that, no real complaints.

Rockies: I like how you've done the team as a vest team (assuming that they would be cut like proper vests, not sleeveless), and dropping black really does improve the look. Your black alternate, while good-looking, isn't really necessary.

Dodgers: Modifying the sleeve patch and adding placket piping to the road uniform were inspired choices. Your alternates, while I wouldn't want the Dodgers to adopt them (as I don't like them wearing alts), are creative and pay tribute to the team's history. Good job.

Padres: The lighter brown certainly looks better, and I'm glad you added the contrast-colored sleeves (a historical look restored to make the Padres more unique).

Giants: While I like the "San Francisco" wordmark, I can understand why you replaced it with the "SF" insignia. I do like how you standardized the striping across the whole set (something the team really needs to do).

Orioles: Other than flipping the colors of the script and numbers on the orange alt (white with black outlines), you've done a fine job.

Red Sox: Kudos on bringing back the classic socks and the home alternate. However, I'm not a big fan of the road uniform. I get that you're trying to maintain the color balance, but the single-layer "Boston" script and numbers feel wimpy. They could use a red outline, with red placket piping (which would enable you to dump the red cap, which should only ever be an alternate cap).

Yankees: Your tweaks to the chest logo and the new grey are both excellent changes. Well done!

Rays: You pulled off the new template pretty well for the Rays. I prefer the navy version, because I like the A's having monopoly over the green/yellow color scheme in baseball.

Blue Jays: Like the Cardinals, you made a fantastic set even better! My only suggestion would be to add two white stripes to the socks, to tie in with the split lettering and striping.

White Sox: While I'm a black/red/white man myself, I really like how you've brought back colored pants and white socks (with and without black tops) in an effective way (not too gaudy) and made the most out of the black/grey/white color scheme. I would like it if your rejected grey uniform made it into the set somehow.

Indians: My only real complaint is that the "Indians" block wordmark is a little wonky. I'd suggest using the current home script for those uniforms. I'd also have red wordmarks/numbers on the road uniform, but that's merely a matter of personal preference.

Tigers: You've made just the right changes to their set. Good job.

Royals: I'm not a fan of powder blue roads in general, and I think you could tweak the "Kansas City" script into something pretty (or use the block Kansas City wordmark), but I really like what you've done! Your later alts with the metallic gold are especially inventive, and provide an easy way for the team to differentiate themselves from the Dodgers.

Twins: The new color scheme is fantastic, and I find myself preferring it to the traditionally-colored one you posted in the rejects pile. Good work.

Astros: Aside from the stripes really needing a navy border on the orange socks (or even a navy top that slides into the Tequila Sunrise), you've done a fantastic job update the "shooting stars" look. The "moonrise" alternates are pretty decent, but I'm not really a fan. The team should emphasize orange as much as possible, and I think the moonrise distracts from that a bit.

Angels: Pretty much exactly what I'd want them to wear, although they could use either navy undershirts or a navy belt. Well done.

Athletics: While I would normally complain about them using the McAuliffe font, their aesthetic is different enough from the Red Sox to avoid any comparisons. My only complaint would be that you should really lower the numbers, and drop the green pants from the set.

Mariners: I'm not the biggest fan of white being the central stripe of the socks, as I'd rather it be teal. I'd also suggest dropping that road cap (because the teal bill is such a fantastic cap) and that royal/yellow alternate (the Mariners shouldn't revisit that color scheme). In the place of the royal/yellow alt, a PCL Rainiers-inspired alt would be better. Other than that, good work.000

Rangers: I'd put "Rangers" on the home uniform, but other than that, I've got no real complaints.

Outtakes: It's really fantastic to see your creative process in action. I really like the Tequila Sunrise shooting star for the Astros, the silver-billed Mariners navy alt, and your white top/white pants "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" uniform. The Cubs road alt with the grey pants is pretty good, but I find myself oddly liking your original much more. The same goes for your Padres, Brewers, and Tigers road uniforms.

All in all, I'm really impressed with your whole series. You've made more out of MS Paint than any MLB series I've seen on these boards. I look forward to seeing what you'll do with another series.

Archived