MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

We start the NL Central today with the Cubs:

There are a lot of subtle changes changes here starting with the logo. I changed out both the "C" and the "UBS" with the older 1950's style which creates a more open logo then what the Cubs wear now while still using the wide outer stripe. I think it does a better job of recalling the Chicago Athletic Association origins of their logo. (Side note: The CAA was recently renovated into an amazing hotel with a full retro gameroom) The cubbie patch from the '60s and '70s is the best one they've ever had and its an oddly shaped patch (bonus). I cleaned it up by switching the face to white and adding an outline that matches whichever outline we have on the numbers (red for home, white for road/alternate). I like the white outline on the road and I think it creates a balanced look with the '30s style red trim. For the home/road alt I thought of their old all navy look and just updated with their current colors and schemes while adding a Chicago flag roundel that you see on dozens of messenger bags on the CTA. It'd probably make the alternate real popular with the hipster crowd. 

C&C welcome as always, enjoy!

Home Uniform 2.png

Away.png

Alternate B.png

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Cubs set is gorgeous.Good call using the '50s style "Cubs" logo. The white trim on the road set is a really nice touch, and I dig the idea of a monochrome blue alternate that could be worn at home or on the road. 

This is shaping up to be a truly fantastic series!

43 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

Love this series, You can barely tell you used MS Paint.

The amount of work that went into this must have been a lot!

Thanks! Honestly much of the credit goes to this site. The logos on the main page are huge which makes them great to work with. Chris and everyone else who works on this wonderful place are truly doing God's work on Earth.

A radical direction for the Reds. 

The current Reds look is pretty bland. Its not a bad set by any means, but the Reds too good a uniform history for that to be their current look. Their best look was the Big Red Machine years with the V-necks, sansa belts, and low whites stirrups. So I decided to try and replicate that wide sansa belt stripe here by making the waistband and all the belt loops red. I couldn't go with a striped faux sansa belt, but I could do a solid red which I could replicate on the sleeves with a red cuff. I eliminated the black trim but kept the script on the away jersey and the number font which I think meshes well with a team founded in the 19th century. Mr. Redlegs makes an appearance on the sleeve for both home and away. The alternate is my first crack at a sleeveless vest trying to emulate the early 60's look. 

Home.png

Road.png

Alt.png

26 minutes ago, Broncoboy7 said:

This is another great set, although one question. Did you choose not to use the retro logo for a reason? I understand you used it on the sleeves, but not on the front of maybe the alternate.

I thought about putting it on the front of the alternate like in the 1956 road uniform but taking a hard look at the way it looks with just the head convinced me it was just too goofy/creepy to work as the focal point of the uniform. So rather than stick with the classic enclosed logo, I opted for the free floating "C" which creates a nice clean look which is distinct from the regular home/roads. 

40 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I thought about putting it on the front of the alternate like in the 1956 road uniform but taking a hard look at the way it looks with just the head convinced me it was just too goofy/creepy to work as the focal point of the uniform. So rather than stick with the classic enclosed logo, I opted for the free floating "C" which creates a nice clean look which is distinct from the regular home/roads. 

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Reds look great. I'm not sure how well the red faux-sansabelt would translate to real life but it's an interesting idea. Good decision to keep their current numbers style and drop all the black.

I have no idea if the faux sansabelt thing would really work. Its why I made it solid red. I figured a single color is the most likely to work. But if it doesn't work it doesn't work. 

So the genesis of this Brewers concept was my own inadequacy. I like the Brewers and I'd been thinking about how best to update them, and then I saw this concept by @SFGiants58 and realized there was no way I could top that. That one is pretty much perfect so all I could do is try to go in a different direction. I took the idea of the Brewers as a Midwest, prairie club and tried to create a Frank Lloyd Wright style wordmark with barley sheaf reminiscent of FLW windows. Miller Park has the retractable roof which seems to make everything seem muted and dull so I turned the color up to 11 with lots of gold and bright blue wherever I could put it. Since the team seems constitutionally incapable of moderation when it comes to alternates, I gave them two. 

Home Small Barley.png

Alternate Home.png

Road Alternate.png

Road.png

The Brewers look really solid. I really dig the thought process behind the wordmark and that yellow alternate with the swinging barrelman is fantastic. 

I have an outside the box suggestion for the road alternate. Now hear me out on this: What if you took the Wisconsin/"M"shoulder patch (which is great, by the way) and made it a crest logo on the front of the jersey? Then you wouldn't be using the "Brewers" wordmark on three of the four jerseys. You could also make the barrelman the shoulder patch on that alternate, too. 

2 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Brewers look really solid. I really dig the thought process behind the wordmark and that yellow alternate with the swinging barrelman is fantastic. 

I have an outside the box suggestion for the road alternate. Now here me out on this: What if you took the Wisconsin/"M"shoulder patch (which is great, by the way) and made it a crest logo on the front of the jersey? Then you wouldn't be using the "Brewers" wordmark on three of the four jerseys. You could also make the barrelman the shoulder patch and that alternate, too. 

Sounds like a good idea! I can make that happen. I'll be back later with the update.

The Pirates have some of the best, and most varied uniform history in baseball. They'v done the classic flannels look, the clean modernist look, and the crazy double knit era to perfection. So for this set I've tried to incorporate some of the best elements of all three. I kept the classic '50s/'60s look that they mostly repeat today intact. I really don't like the sleeve patch they have now so I've just decided to ditch it altogether. I went with the 1970-style stirrups which are the some the best in the history of baseball and added gold alternate caps to complete the look. Reminiscent of the bubble bee era, I added a gold jersey and black pants all of which can be mixed and matched leading  to 11 possible uniform combinations in total.

Tiles Number 1.png

Tiles Number 2.png

Tiles Number 3.png

Tiles Number 4.png

Archived