MLB Series in Paint by Carolingian Steamroller (Green Rays Update)

Carolingian Steamroller

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrapping up the NL Central today with the Cardinals. No big changes to a team that pretty much has it down pat. The only thing I really did was combine their two alternate weekend looks into one. I took the navy cap with red brim and attached it to the cream alternate. It actually does a better job of replicating the Musial era with the navy cap. Regrettably the bird-on-bat cap logo was a casualty of this decision. I also went with a black bat to enhance the throwback look.

C&C welcome as always. NL West beings on Monday.

Home.thumb.png.caf00682189e19699d101f540890fe39.png
Away.thumb.png.5d0599952410c245541b36bff7668203.png
Alternate.thumb.png.5290d27bb3c36c55cefc6262b5884c0a.png

There's not much you could change with the Cards because as you said, they're pretty much perfect as is. My only suggestion would be to put "St. Louis" on their away uniform instead of "Cardinals" as it's always bothered me that they don't use their city name on the road.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

There's not much you could change with the Cards because as you said, they're pretty much perfect as is. My only suggestion would be to put "St. Louis" on their away uniform instead of "Cardinals" as it's always bothered me that they don't use their city name on the road.

Since the Cards have had the team name on the roads for so long I tend to look at is a unique quirk which also makes the alternate stand out. But I see it being the kind of quirk to become bothersome (cough Dallas Cowboys cough) so I've worked up the St. Louis version.

Away B.png

NL West begins today with the Diamondbacks. 

First off, I respect what the Diamondbacks were trying to do this offseason. They were trying to do something truly modern and outside the box. Their problem in my opinion, wasn't that they went to far but that their ideas fell into tired cliches: side panels, gradient patterns, truncated piping, lots of alternates. The disaster was that they combined all of them into the same uniform but didn't go nearly as radical as they could have. What I noticed is that once the diamond gradient gets near the end, and it spaces out, it just looks like an ordinary fabric pattern or flannel jersey. So I thought why not built that into the whole fabric of the uniform? After all pinstripes are nothing more than a fabric pattern. Its why you see them on suits and dress shirts. So I applied the diamond pattern, properly spaced out, to the whole uniform for the Diamondbacks. 

Just typing out the team name shows that "Diamondbacks" is way too long to put on a jersey with a reasonable amount of space. So I used the "A" logo for the home uniform which is far better than the "DBacks" nonsense. The "Arizona" script for the away still works fine. The snake head sleeve patch is great so I kept that. I also kept the black, red, turquoise color combo because I think it works well and I respect the decision to go in that direction. For alternates I went with a turquoise home which should inject some much needed color and red for the road. Both alternates are plain because when the uniform has a subtle diamond pattern adding more stripes would just clutter things up. Subtle touch is that the cap logo, chest design, numbers, and sleeve patch all match on each set: red outline in black then turquoise for home, black outlined in red then turquoise for road. 

C&C appreciated. Cheers!

Home.png

Road.png

Alternate 2.png

Alternate Road 2.png

I absolutely love what you've done with the Diamondbacks. Great color balance, you eliminated any trace of that awful "D-Backs" nickname and the (in my opinion) inferior "D" logo, you brought the snake logo front and center and, of course, the diamonds are a genius idea. They look like cactus needles ready to pop out if you get too close!

Assuming you're proceeding in alphabetical order, I'm excited to see your take on the Rockies next!

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I absolutely love what you've done with the Diamondbacks. Great color balance, you eliminated any trace of that awful "D-Backs" nickname and the (in my opinion) inferior "D" logo, you brought the snake logo front and center and, of course, the diamonds are a genius idea. They look like cactus needles ready to pop out if you get too close!

Assuming you're proceeding in alphabetical order, I'm excited to see your take on the Rockies next!

Thanks! I am really happy the way it came out. 

Rockies will be tomorrow (I have one more thing to clean up) but I'm happy with the way it came out too. 

Just now, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Thanks! I am really happy the way it came out. 

Rockies will be tomorrow (I have one more thing to clean up) but I'm happy with the way it came out too. 

I'm not sure I've said it yet but I'm consistently impressed by what you're able to achieve with MS Paint. 

Just now, coco1997 said:

I'm not sure I've said it yet but I'm consistently impressed by what you're able to achieve with MS Paint. 

:D

Thanks! Large images and using the pencil tool. I drew the initial diamond one pixel at a time until I got the effect right, then I was able to copy and paste until I got good grid pattern. 

I'm feeling generous today so I'm going to continue right on with the Rockies.

The Rockies really seem to love that black vest alternate. Honestly I can't blame them. I think its a solid look, if unconventional. So I made their entire set vests. I eliminated the black and went with just purple and silver. I solved the question of dominant colors by adding an additional outline to wordmarks. This means the numbers/letters are all one color while the backdrop/outlines are all another color. I know vests aren't conductive to sleeve patches but this is all theoretical and digital on some levels so I said to hell with it and added the mountain logo on the sleeve.

Enjoy!

Home2.png

Road.png

Alt.png

As a partial Rockies fan (living in Colorado), this is a nice set that really says "Rockies"! The one thing that I don't agree with is not exercising the option of the black jersey, but I understand why you would completely eliminate it since it isn't part of their main color set. Otherwise, good job!

Oh and about the Diamondbacks, I think the Arizona wordmark is off-center on both the away and second alternate jersey. Could be me though.

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

28 minutes ago, Broncoboy7 said:

As a partial Rockies fan (living in Colorado), this is a nice set that really says "Rockies"! The one thing that I don't agree with is not exercising the option of the black jersey, but I understand why you would completely eliminate it since it isn't part of their main color set. Otherwise, good job!

Oh and about the Diamondbacks, I think the Arizona wordmark is off-center on both the away and second alternate jersey. Could be me though.

Thanks for the comments! The Arizona wordmark is deliberately off-center due to the positioning of the placket. It's positioned there to avoid the event of an "ARIZZONA" incident. 

Happy to oblige with a black alternate for the Rockies. 

Black Alt 2.png

7 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

NL West begins today with the Diamondbacks. 

First off, I respect what the Diamondbacks were trying to do this offseason. They were trying to do something truly modern and outside the box. Their problem in my opinion, wasn't that they went to far but that their ideas fell into tired cliches: side panels, gradient patterns, truncated piping, lots of alternates. The disaster was that they combined all of them into the same uniform but didn't go nearly as radical as they could have. What I noticed is that once the diamond gradient gets near the end, and it spaces out, it just looks like an ordinary fabric pattern or flannel jersey. So I thought why not built that into the whole fabric of the uniform? After all pinstripes are nothing more than a fabric pattern. Its why you see them on suits and dress shirts. So I applied the diamond pattern, properly spaced out, to the whole uniform for the Diamondbacks. 

Just typing out the team name shows that "Diamondbacks" is way too long to put on a jersey with a reasonable amount of space. So I used the "A" logo for the home uniform which is far better than the "DBacks" nonsense. The "Arizona" script for the away still works fine. The snake head sleeve patch is great so I kept that. I also kept the black, red, turquoise color combo because I think it works well and I respect the decision to go in that direction. For alternates I went with a turquoise home which should inject some much needed color and red for the road. Both alternates are plain because when the uniform has a subtle diamond pattern adding more stripes would just clutter things up. Subtle touch is that the cap logo, chest design, numbers, and sleeve patch all match on each set: red outline in black then turquoise for home, black outlined in red then turquoise for road. 

C&C appreciated. Cheers!

Home.png

Road.png

Alternate 2.png

Alternate Road 2.png

WWWWWOWWWWWW

Love what you've done with Arizona and Colorado. Would like the see the numbers on the purple Rockies jersey with white numbers and a silver outline. I think it'll pop just like the wordmark. Great work! Also, kudos for putting 'St. Louis' on the road uni. 

Archived