Which team has the worst identity?

Ark

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Ark said:

I think it is the Indiana Pacers. The name Pacers is unique and they COULD have a great identity. But the only real identity they ever had was an arm holding a giant yellow tennis ball.

nrv5bijg56ha3h4f0fvet8aft.gif

Now their only logo is a basketball will lines

3083.gif

which made sense when their jerseys had pinstripes, but they don't even have those anymore.

I'm from Indiana,and I think the name is so unique.

The name "pacers" comes from the pace car,which is used in auto racing events,such as the Indianapolis 500,held in Indianapolis.

The logo is solid,but it needs to make sense with the name. So hopefully the next time they change their identity,they change it to a race car.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, cubsfan2015 said:

The name "pacers" comes from the pace car,which is used in auto racing events,such as the Indianapolis 500,held in Indianapolis.

The logo is solid,but it needs to make sense with the name. So hopefully the next time they change their identity,they change it to a race car.

Hmm I always heard it was a horse racing reference, but I guess they're both true.

Via the Pacers website

"According to Indianapolis attorney, Richard D. Tinkham, the nickname “Pacers” was decided on through a collective decision of the original investors. Tinkham, one of those investors, recalled that the nickname was a combination of the state’s rich history with the harness racing pacers (investor Chuck Barnes was a horse racing enthusiast) and the pace car used for the running of the Indianapolis 500."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/history/pacers_name_history.html

20 minutes ago, raysox said:

Hmm I always heard it was a horse racing reference, but I guess they're both true.

Via the Pacers website

"According to Indianapolis attorney, Richard D. Tinkham, the nickname “Pacers” was decided on through a collective decision of the original investors. Tinkham, one of those investors, recalled that the nickname was a combination of the state’s rich history with the harness racing pacers (investor Chuck Barnes was a horse racing enthusiast) and the pace car used for the running of the Indianapolis 500."

http://www.nba.com/pacers/history/pacers_name_history.html

So, in order for the logo to make sense, the people should be angled to make it look like an abstract version of a horse. Using the top of the P as the head and the stem of the P as the neck

13 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As bad as that is, I don't know if that's a bad identity. Their identity is clear as day.

I guess you have to ask yourself what a "baby cake" is...
Many online dictionaries say:

babycakes

noun

A sweetheart or other cherished person •A term of endearment: Hey, baby-cakes, let's see those pecs/

So, these images do not show a girlfriend, a significant other, a lover etc etc.

Let's also clarify that we do not call it a "baby cake", but rather a king cake, and the doll inside is a king cake baby.  "Baby Cakes" was chosen by Brandiose (from San Diego) and GM Cookie Rojas (from Cuba, I believe), not the locals.  

But, I'm just a local that is embarrassed that I support a team where they'll be chanting "LET'S GO BABY CAKES" *clap clap clap clap*

Colorado Avalanche
We've all thought their uniforms were near the bottom of the league for a long time but they didn't deserve to be on this list until recently.  I didn't think it was possible for their main uniforms to get any worse but that's exactly what happened when they replaced their shoulder patches.  Now were left with a Navy-heavy logo on a uniform devoid of navy.  Brilliant planning.  Even the alternates everyone gushes over look drab and depressing and deserve further damnation for the flag shoulder patch.  Adding red and yellow brings the identity's swatch count to 7.

Red, Yellow, Burgundy, Silver, Slate Blue, Black, Navy.

8Q1pq6o.jpg
sYbq2Lc.jpg

NFL: Cowboys- They have a nice logo and name, but their home and road uniforms look like they're from different teams. They have these nice dark blue jerseys they refuse to wear, and then there's these white ones with royal blue numbers and stripes, which inexplicably have thin black outlines. Worst part is, apparently that's a tradition for them so they refuse to change anything.

NBA: Thunder- Too many colors, nothing about it says Thunder.

MLB: Rockies- No purple on your home uniforms? Why?

NHL: Jets- Logo isn't very exciting, neither are the colors, jerseys look dumb.

MLS: Sounders- Colors are alright, but the logo looks a little phoned-in. As if they created the crest before deciding what to name the team.

MLB - Indians (generic and non unified), Diamondbacks (too many combinations, not enough contrast) Padres (you are BROWN)

NFL - Rams (Royal and Yellow please) Jaguars (the helmet makes me shiver - Maximize Teal, not minimize it)

NBA - Raptors (red and black? really? How about red and purple and silver? Mavericks (blah)

NHL - Lightning (you are not the Leafs) Kings and Ducks (you threw away good color palettes for bland garbage) 

Everyone loves a roundel.

Just now, KJTALBOT said:

MLB - Indians (generic and non unified), Diamondbacks (too many combinations, not enough contrast) Padres (you are BROWN)

NFL - Rams (Royal and Yellow please) Jaguars (the helmet makes me shiver - Maximize Teal, not minimize it)

NBA - Raptors (red and black? really? How about red and purple and silver? Mavericks (blah)

NHL - Lightning (you are not the Leafs) Kings and Ducks (you threw away good color palettes for bland garbage) 

Oh, and the Calgary Flames should eliminate black. Fire is not black.

Everyone loves a roundel.

On 2/24/2017 at 5:56 AM, KJTALBOT said:

Oh, and the Calgary Flames should eliminate black. Fire is not black.

This. That drives me irrationally nuts. And I don't even like the Flames!

Also, my beloved local MLB team, the Bland Diego Padres. Just....so.......BORING! Just PLEASE bring back the brown and yellow full-time, PLEASE!

On 2/22/2017 at 7:42 PM, cubsfan2015 said:

I'm not a Pacers fan, but at this point I think that Pacers "P" is pretty iconic and I hope they never change it, other than maybe a tweak here and there.  I feel that it's one of those logos that is instantly recognizable and that the Pacers are one of those "classic" teams that doesn't need to force an image of their nickname into their logo to make it work.  If anything, I think if they came out with a primary logo that featured a race car, it would look extremely gimmicky, silly, and forced.  Maybe have some alternate logo that is a subtle nod to racing (something along the lines of featuring a checkered flag, or something like that), but not something so in-your-face as a literal race car.  If they ever wanted to do that, they should have done it in the 90s during the cartoony/uber-animated NBA logos era.  But I'm glad they didn't.

6 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I'm not a Pacers fan, but at this point I think that Pacers "P" is pretty iconic and I hope they never change it, other than maybe a tweak here and there.  I feel that it's one of those logos that is instantly recognizable and that the Pacers are one of those "classic" teams that doesn't need to force an image of their nickname into their logo to make it work.  If anything, I think if they came out with a primary logo that featured a race car, it would look extremely gimmicky, silly, and forced.  Maybe have some alternate logo that is a subtle nod to racing (something along the lines of featuring a checkered flag, or something like that), but not something so in-your-face as a literal race car.  If they ever wanted to do that, they should have done it in the 90s during the cartoony/uber-animated NBA logos era.  But I'm glad they didn't.

Yeah,for me (a little biased because I'm a Hoosier) the Pacers logo is so iconic for us here in Indiana that I couldn't see anything else. But I do support your idea for the alternate logo. That would look good.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

On 2/24/2017 at 8:55 AM, KJTALBOT said:

Someone else who loves bright colors! Where have you been all my life on this board?!

NHL - Lightning (need their originals colors back), Avalanche (need an updated version of their Cup era jerseys), Flames (need to ditch that template)

MLB - Diamondbacks (need to ditch the futuristic jerseys for something more traditional), Rockies (need updated uniforms)

NFL - Bills (need to bring back the red helmet), Dolphins (need to bring back their original colors & a modernized version of their old logo)

NBA - Clippers (really need a new logo), Thunder (really need a new logo & better uniforms), Mavericks (need new uniforms & updated logos)

Archived