Which team has the worst identity?

Ark

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

NBA - Thunder, Clippers, Hawks, 

NFL - Washington, Jaguars, Buccaneers

MLB - Marlins, Diamondbacks, Rays, Nationals, Cardinals

NHL - Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals, Coyotes

had to group them all together, couldn't pick one. i included uniforms as part of teh identity

Really at the bolded? The Cardinals have one of if not the best looks all of sports.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL: Bucs

MLB: Diamondbacks, Marlins

NBA: Clippers, Thunder

NHL is a little tougher: The Avalanche have by far the worst uniforms. But I love their logo. Then there's the Stars, Panthers and Jets who have bad logos but nice uniforms. And then you also have the Tampa Maple Wings and Carolina Red Leafs. EDIT: forgot about the Ducks. They're pretty bad too, especially compared to what it replaced.

7 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

That was a great color scheme, but I honestly don't care for that particular logo. I get that the designer was trying to avoid creating something that looks busy and complicated, but to me the shapes look too basic. Without knowing what a Clipper ship is, most people would just see a zig-zag shape and a circle. 

That Clippers logo screams "70s!"  Yuck. I have never understood the love for that logo.

I am surprised for all the love of the Pacers as "worst".  I actually don't mind their current logo.  And their color scheme is great.

I have to agree with the Clippers.  There is nothing good about their identity.  Nothing.  The logos are awful.  The uniforms are awful.  The uninspired addition of black is awful.  Their previous logo was bad, but the uniforms were great and the basic R/W/B scheme was great too...that's a dying color scheme, in some sports.

12 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

NBA - Thunder, Clippers, Hawks, 

NFL - Washington, Jaguars, Buccaneers

MLB - Marlins, Diamondbacks, Rays, Nationals, Cardinals

NHL - Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals, Coyotes

had to group them all together, couldn't pick one. i included uniforms as part of teh identity

I think most of these are worthy of being on the short lists by sport.  The two I dispute are the Cardinals (like most of us; I almost wish McCall was around just to envision his head exploding while reading his response).  But I do like the Cards' look.  And I am warming up to the Marlins look...though I wish they'd focus less on black and more on blue.

For me:

NBA: Clips, Mavs, Suns

NFL: Jags, Bucs, Seahawks, Panthers

MLB: Rangers, Padres (too many looks), Indians (pick one), Rockies, Brewers

NHL: Nothing's really awful...Canes, Sens, Preds, Ducks

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

That was a great color scheme, but I honestly don't care for that particular logo. I get that the designer was trying to avoid creating something that looks busy and complicated, but to me the shapes look too basic. Without knowing what a Clipper ship is, most people would just see a zig-zag shape and a circle. 

It's not about the logo itself. That's a weird design and very 70s.

The Clippers should be about ocean imagery, and a modernized sails logo is a great starting point.  

Lakers. 

If you're going to call out the Clippers and Thunder, the Lakers basically fall into the same category. Misplaced identity (Minnesota has the lakes), logo doesn't portray anything in the name and is basically just a stylized wordmark with a basketball. The unique (for their sport) color scheme is the only thing going for them. 

2 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Lakers. 

If you're going to call out the Clippers and Thunder, the Lakers basically fall into the same category. Misplaced identity (Minnesota has the lakes), logo doesn't portray anything in the name and is basically just a stylized wordmark with a basketball. The unique (for their sport) color scheme is the only thing going for them. 

Do the Lakers get some benefit because they are the face of the league?  Sure.

But as you mention, they have the color scheme.  The yellow homes.  The nice wordmark (in my opinion).  

The logo is definitely not outstanding, but I don't actually think it's terrible.  (The Clippers one was worse; plus it copied the Lakers, making even worser)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Top 3 from each league: 

NFL

1) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Due to the worst uniform and logo update ever) 

NBA

1) OKC Thunder

2) Utah Jazz

3) Los Angeles Lakers

MLB:

1) Miami Marlins

2) Tampa Rays

NHL: 

1) Vancouver Canucks

2) Arizona Coyotes

3) Tampa Bay Lightning

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Needschat said:

OKC, because they had several better names to choose from, yet took this generic and safe name.  

My problem isn't with the name. You could do a lot of cool things with the name Thunder. My problem is with the generic and safe visual identity. The only time they look good is in their sleeved alts, IMO, and that's saying something.

Clippers and Thunder look like 1998 create-a-team made by a 10 years old who had no choice but to use the bad af logos and uniforms elements provided by EA Sports. There is absolutely nothing connecting their names, logos and colors schemes. They are as generic and bland as possible. Seriously no other pro franchise comes close to these guys. I'd say the Rays are a distant third. The Browns, as bad as they look, have history and colors related to it, the Lightning logo and pants actually feature bolts, the Marlins do feel like South Beach at night, the Bucs logos feature pirates elements and all the others also have at least one thing keeping them far away from the lifeless Thunder and Clippers.

On 6/17/2016 at 8:38 AM, VikWings said:

NFL: Bucs

MLB: Diamondbacks, Marlins

NBA: Clippers, Thunder

NHL is a little tougher: The Avalanche have by far the worst uniforms. But I love their logo. Then there's the Stars, Panthers and Jets who have bad logos but nice uniforms. And then you also have the Tampa Maple Wings and Carolina Red Leafs. EDIT: forgot about the Ducks. They're pretty bad too, especially compared to what it replaced.

The new panthers logo?

NFL: San Diego Chargers      

NBA: LA Clippers, OKC Thunder, Utah Jazz

MLB: San Diego Padres, TB Rays

NHL: Vancouver Canucks

International Soccer: Team USA

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Their current identity or just their identity in general?  Some teams have a general identity crisis and haven't stuck with a somewhat better look when they had it and seem to change things fairly often - not usually for the better.

The identity the Vancouver Canucks seemed to have settled for the past while isn't any great shakes.  When I think of a team called Canucks, an orca isn't among the first 100 things I would think of.  Workmarks in general above logos at the NHL level looks bush league.

Until the Padres go back to brown or do something else unexpectedly good they'll rate near the bottom; mostly because of what they could be.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Mlb: rays. Are you a sting ray like in your aquarium in the outfield and on your home/road sleeve patch or a ray of light like on your wordmark and bp hats?

EDIT: after reading other posts...Brewers, Diamondbacks, and Padres. Two teams unsure if they want an old or new look and old or new colors.

Other: any team from buffalo which features a buffalo rather than whatever your nickname is.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived