Which team has the worst identity?

Ark

34 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Another team is called the "Boston Bruins" not the "Boston Hubs," what's your point?

The Orca looks like a logo.  Johnny Canuck looks like an illustration.

What's my point?? The Bruins' logo is still a 'B'. B for Boston, B for Bruins. Boston is well-known as a hub city. The Bruin Bear is the primary shoulder patch. The Canucks name is not based on an animal which is too prominent in the logo. Also, Vancouver is known for its natural scenery, not orcas. That's what the blue, green and white colour scheme represent.

Johnny Canuck can easily be integrated into a V or a roundel. 

The Penguins have a penguin inside a gold triangle which represents Pittsburgh being both the "3 Rivers City" and "Steel Town". The Sharks have a shark. The Whitecaps have whitecapped snow on their mountain peaked crest, forming a VW reflection in the water. The BC Lions, named after the Lion mountain peaks that overlook Vancouver, have a mountain lion, a well-known BC predator. All those logos tell a story....a history of the team name, the connection to the city. The orca logo is a corporate reference to the former Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment ownership, who were rumoured in wanting to change the name of the club when the Flying Skate was still the primary. 

The Canucks name is a great team name not used by any other big-league sports franchise and it needs proper representation of its heritage and history. 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

What's my point?? The Bruins' logo is still a 'B'. B for Boston, B for Bruins. Boston is well-known as a hub city. The Bruin Bear is the primary shoulder patch. The Canucks name is not based on an animal which is too prominent in the logo. Also, Vancouver is known for its natural scenery, not orcas. That's what the blue, green and white colour scheme represent.

The crest is a "C" which works for Canuck as good as the "B" does for Boston or Bruins.

I don't like the Orca used as part of the Canucks logo either since it was simply a way for the ownership to get their identity merged into their new sports franchise. Same reason I hated when the Sabres changed from Blue/Gold to Red/Black simply because the new owners at the time wanted them to have the same color scheme as the cable company they owned.

I heard that part of the reason the NFL did not expand into Memphis years before the Oilers moved into Tennessee was because the potential new owners wanted to name the team the Memphis Express as a nod to Federal Express which has their home offices and largest hub. That could be more old wives tale than true, but I appreciate it if it's true.

I know the Steelers and Packers names were derivatives of Companies/Industries, but that was a long time ago.

18 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Ravens is a good name for the team, because when most people think of Baltimore, they think of Crab or Edgar Allen Poe... Poe's most famous story was the Raven... The connection is very good and works well for the team.

So then let me guess, you hate names like Toronto Maple Leafs, cause Maple Leafs are not just in Toronto???

No, the name doesn't have to be identified ONLY with team's locale or region ... just should have some relation.

You know, like the OPPOSITE of: Salt Lake City  (the LEAST jazziest place), or Los Angeles  (the FEWEST lakes anywhere).

Toronto Maple Leafs is nearly-perfect, though blue instead of red is a real head-scratcher ...... canada_flag.gif

Ravens is a pretty good nickname .... it's the explanation why they chose it that makes no sense. Poe spent far more time in Richmond, The Bronx, Philadelphia, Boston and other places than in Baltimore.  And 'The Raven' is a poemnot a story ... you know: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary..."  ... Ohhh, NOW I get it, THAT reminds me of their team - great choice!!

How about a "best identity" thread - or "most accurate identity" thread.  Winner there would be unanimous: The Houston Texans. Can't argue there, that's 100% accurate. 

wS7MJ6T.png

never let facts get in the way of a good story. thats branding. its not exactly about whats most accurate, its about association. count me in as someone who loves the Ravens identity, at least from a branding perspective

im all for a best identity thread though lets get that going

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

34 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

never let facts get in the way of a good story. thats branding. its not exactly about whats most accurate, its about association. count me in as someone who loves the Ravens identity, at least from a branding perspective

im all for a best identity thread though lets get that going

Okay Nat ... but won't someone please read my posts?

I LIKE THE RAVENS identity, it's the WHY that's borderline developmentally disabled.

Nat, the new Dolphins logo seems okay, the newer shade of aqua is extraordinary, especially when it's overcast and they're wearing aqua jersey and pants ... yummmmm

wS7MJ6T.png

53 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

No, the name doesn't have to be identified ONLY with team's locale or region ... just should have some relation.

You know, like the OPPOSITE of: Salt Lake City  (the LEAST jazziest place), or Los Angeles  (the FEWEST lakes anywhere).

Toronto Maple Leafs is nearly-perfect, though blue instead of red is a real head-scratcher ...... canada_flag.gif

Ravens is a pretty good nickname .... it's the explanation why they chose it that makes no sense. Poe spent far more time in Richmond, The Bronx, Philadelphia, Boston and other places than in Baltimore.  And 'The Raven' is a poemnot a story ... you know: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary..."  ... Ohhh, NOW I get it, THAT reminds me of their team - great choice!!

How about a "best identity" thread - or "most accurate identity" thread.  Winner there would be unanimous: The Houston Texans. Can't argue there, that's 100% accurate. 

That iteration of Canada's flag wasn't introduced until 1965. The Leafs were founded in 1917, when they replaced the Toronto Blueshirts as the major hockey team in Toronto, hence the blue. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

5 minutes ago, bkknight95 said:

That iteration of Canada's flag wasn't introduced until 1965. The Leafs were founded in 1917, when they replaced the Toronto Blueshirts as the major hockey team in Toronto, hence the blue. 

As an ethnocentric American, I had no idea.  Learn something new every day...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Johnny Canuck can easily be integrated into a V or a roundel.

Just like the "C" represents "Canucks" and the logo's "Haida" art style represents the west coast.  Orca's are native to the region and the ice, it's breaking out of, represents the sport.  A Canuck is not something that is easy to depict so it makes sense going with a letter that contains elements that represent the area.  The last thing the league needs is another roundel logo and they've already tried incorporating Johnny into a "V."

The orca logo is a corporate reference to the former Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment ownership, who were rumoured in wanting to change the name of the club when the Flying Skate was still the primary. 

Except the logo for Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment looks nothing like the Canucks primary.

In a pefect world, they would simply drop the arched script and replace "agency" with a, single colour, bloc font.

10 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

Who cares where Poe had spent most of his time... He was famous for living in Baltimore, so there is a connection there. And you even said you only need some connection to be a decent team name...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

Just like the "C" represents "Canucks" and the logo's "Haida" art style represents the west coast.  Orca's are native to the region and the ice, it's breaking out of, represents the sport.  A Canuck is not something that is easy to depict so it makes sense going with a letter that contains elements that represent the area.  The last thing the league needs is another roundel logo and they've already tried incorporating Johnny into a "V."

Except the logo for Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment looks nothing like the Canucks primary.

In a pefect world, they would simply drop the arched script and replace "agency" with a, single colour, bloc font.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

A Canuck is not easy to depict, eh?

Morgo, you may be a great artist (great job on the your Avalanche concept, by the way :)) however, you have a tendency to contradict yourself and be very close-minded to the views of others. You told me one time that you were warming up to Johnny Canuck and I have read you state repeatedly that the Canucks should promote the updated Stick In Rink C to primary status, which I'm more than okay with...two elements of hockey, C for Canucks and the colours representing the area.

The orca logo was inspired by Orca Bay. Furthermore, orcas are found all over the world. 

The Canucks can learn from a team like the Maple Leafs by going back to their own roots and not cater to Tourism Vancouver. I've been a Canucks fan for 47 years and I know what I'm talking about. I grew up with the Skate logo and I loved it like you do the orca. However, I would still take Johnny Canuck over the Skate. It's whom the Canucks are named after. 

7 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

My thoughts exactly. And, it also stands out from the rest of the league.

It could also be that I am a big fan of purple and along with kelly green, it is underused!

On 7/26/2016 at 8:33 AM, BroncoBuff said:

Please ... the Lakers and Jazz of course.   Both have nicknames that are specifically and uniquely linked to the cities they were in BEFORE Los Angeles and Salt Lake City.  That's just lazy. At least there are dolphins and marlins in Miami, diamondbacks in Arizona, wolves in Minnesota and Texans in Houston. 

Tied for the top spot: Ravens.  Because Poe wrote a poem by that name, and lived there on and off? Please.... By that logic, the Babes would make more sense ... baseball's not football, but it's closer than poetry.

My Top 3 all wear purple, hmmmm  ........  And don't say "No BroncoBuff! It's Forum Blue!!" because it's not. It's purple.  

Runners-up: White Sox and Red Sox.  Seriously?

Marlins changed from 'Florida' to 'Miami' ... I'm guessing for alliterative-ity .....

Which brings me to Cam Newton's Carolina (shouldda been) Cougars.  Not just for alliterative-ity, but also because it makes sense. 'Panthers' doesn't make sense, because there is no specific panther animal. Panterus is an animal family that includes most large cats, including jaguars, leopards, and Cougars. 

I was gonna defend the Clippers ('there's harbors all around LA!'), but then I Googled Clipper Ship. Not a single image less than 100 years old. And only drawings and paintings, because apparently the Clipper design was abandoned before the invention of photography .........

What, Ballmer?  2 Billion and you can't rebrand them something that makes sense????

clip.JPG

Late to the party, but only two of your top three wear purple...the Jazz actually wear navy blue at present, although I wish they'd change back to purple...

You have a tendency to contradict yourself and be very close-minded to the views of others. You told me one time that you were warming up to Johnny Canuck and I have read you state repeatedly that the Canucks should promote the updated Stick In Rink C to primary status, which I'm more than okay with...two elements of hockey, C for Canucks and the colours representing the area.

You definitely aren't wrong there.  Johnny Canuck would not look horrible by any stretch of the imagination... As long as the Canucks keep the current colour scheme intact, they will have a great identity for years to come.  The fact they are even being talked about in this thread is a travesty in itself.  That being said; I've come to really appreciate the Orca in the last few months.  Maybe it's nostalgia for the 2011 run talking but an embroidered "Orca" makes for one fantastic looking crest.  I also have an issue with a wholesale change just 5 years after that run.  What I proposed (removing the word mark, changing to bloc font) would just be a tweak and likely wouldn't upset all the people that bought merchandise during that run.

The Canucks can learn from a team like the Maple Leafs by going back to their own roots and not cater to Tourism Vancouver. I've been a Canucks fan for 47 years and I know what I'm talking about. I grew up with the Skate logo and I loved it like you do the orca. However, I would still take Johnny Canuck over the Skate. It's whom the Canucks are named after. 

They went back to their roots when they adopted the current colour scheme.  Going back to the skate would likely eliminate this progress, so I'm definitely not in favour of that.  I could live with Johnny Canuck, or the Stick N' Rink, but still think the standalone orca is the best option.

Morgo, you may be a great artist (great job on the your Avalanche concept, by the way :))

Appreciate the compliment.  It was nice having a concept posted on Icethetics that didn't get ripped to shreds.

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Does anyone else's head begin to hurt when ever they read a post by BroncoBuff?

I imagine it's like trying to make sense of the inner ramblings of a paranoid schizophrenic.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I imagine it's like trying to make sense of the inner ramblings of a paranoid schizophrenic.

WHY does he MESS with the font???

What's wrong with just typing it out normally? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived