What will Under Armour do at Wisconsin?

PackerBadger

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If those photos from last fall are any indication, and I hope they are, we could be looking at just red and white (and the black dropshadow).  But those were probably just thrown together for that day.

For the three "big" sports (yeah, nobody even on this board really likes College hockey, but it's one of the big three there), basketball is definitely the hardest to predict.  My predictions:

• Football (Has remained very steady since Alvarez took over and the program became viable):
    • Staying the same: The helmet.  Probably the basic design of the primary jersey and pants.
    • Changing: not much, at least not in primaries.
    • Greatest fear: They have very elaborate alternate gear with black and Maryland-like features and they wear it too often
  • Hockey (Has remained very steady since well before my memory; probably back to the 1960s)
    • Staying the same: Red and white with the diagonal "Wisconsin"...pretty much the essence
    • Changing: If anything, little things related to the laces on the neck or tweaked number font
    • Greatest fear: I really don't fear much here.  I suspect they'll be wearing their primaries almost all the time...hopefully any alts are not black.
  • Basketball (as is the case for most programs, these uniforms have changed quite often over the last 20 years; the most consistent element being the number font)
    • Staying the same: Aside from saying "Wisconsin," who knows.
    • Changing:  Fonts at the very least.
    • Greatest fear: Since this is the sport that probably holds its look least dear, UA may want to experiment with weird features.  And UW may let them; UW may have said "football is not going to be your canvas; you have basketball."
    • I won't miss: The bloated Adidas number font.  I really grew tired of that on the uniforms and in hindsight I am grateful it never took hold in football or hockey.  That font is easily the most stale thing about any UW logo or uniform.  

Interestingly, basketball's the sport I am most excited about (thanks to dumping the Adidas numbers) but also the one I fear the most (given that it is the most lacking in aesthetic tradition).  I hope that the popularity of the 1970s throwback they wore this past season inspired the design, but I tend to doubt UA signed on to go full red/white only traditional as people like myself would hope for.  Something is going to be allowed to be used as a UA billboard, I just hope it's rarely worn and not too out there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

First off, I love college hockey. (Granted, me going to UMass Lowell probably helped that, but I digress.)

UA likely won't change much for the primary football uniforms, if at all. They didn't for Notre Dame. Why would they here?

As for the basketball, they may change the Aachen font, but I doubt it. That font has sort of become synonymous with UW. Their wordmarks are in that font, and even the motion W is reasonably close to that font. They'll probably go basic here.

As for hockey, I can envision them getting a standard UA template or something that's different from the Red Wings template. The basics will probably stay the same. UA did introduce a gray alternate for UMass Lowell, so don't be surprised if something like that happens here, but that's probably it. (Thankfully UML hasn't worn that except for maybe twice.)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

7 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

UA likely won't change much for the primary football uniforms, if at all. They didn't for Notre Dame.

This. Much like Notre Dame, they'll probably only get creative with the alts outside of perhaps a new standard font introduced. Either way I have a good feeling we'll like what they come up with.

Midway.png

I'm wondering if it's possible the new Wisconsin wordmark on the baselines could be identical to what's on the unis?  I'd really like to see them use "Badgers" at home but that's probably wishful thinking.  The new white outline at center court is interesting too.Cj_AyQXUoAAVHXG.jpg:large

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'd like to see the football team use the same number font the basketball team uses.

As long as UA uses a decent font I'd probably be ok with it.  I'd expect it will be pretty plain anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Wisconsin is hosting a weird event at 10:00 CDT with a midnight unveling of...something UA-related...whether that's any on-field uniforms, I don't know.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/6/12/general-join-the-badgers-at-night-of-the-new-red-threads.aspx?path=general

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Wisconsin is hosting a weird event at 10:00 CDT with a midnight unveling of...something UA-related...whether that's any on-field uniforms, I don't know.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/6/12/general-join-the-badgers-at-night-of-the-new-red-threads.aspx?path=general

I'm pretty sure it's the unis for at least football, basketball, and hockey, and some new general apparel that will be for sale right away.  They're kinda making a midnight madness thing out of this, since they can't technically unveil anything until the contract starts at midnight.  I, for one, will not be the least bit sorry to see the Adidas garbage gone forever.

On June 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM, mjd77 said:

I'm wondering if it's possible the new Wisconsin wordmark on the baselines could be identical to what's on the unis?  I'd really like to see them use "Badgers" at home but that's probably wishful thinking.  The new white outline at center court is interesting too.Cj_AyQXUoAAVHXG.jpg:large

The football field now has the same font

40 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

They unveiled nothing besides some new UA fan apparel.  What a freakin disgrace.  All this hype for absolutely nothing.

Casual fans not into this stuff probably would never notice any difference beyond the little corporate logo change.   Lame sales pitch.

POTD (Shared)

24 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Casual fans not into this stuff probably would never notice any difference beyond the little corporate logo change.   Lame sales pitch.

Yeah...I thought Wisconsin was better than this.  It was very misleading and a big fail.

On 6/17/2016 at 11:34 AM, stumpygremlin said:

As for the basketball, they may change the Aachen font, but I doubt it. That font has sort of become synonymous with UW. Their wordmarks are in that font, and even the motion W is reasonably close to that font. They'll probably go basic here.

I think Maryland was equally synonymous with the Aachen font in the 90s and early 2000s (see 2002 NCAA Basketball Championship).  However, Maryland now uses a custom font designed by UA (which is much, much better, in my opinion).

UGROEXNXJDSDCEK.20130417192649.jpgjuan-maryland-coach.bmp

terps1516-rasheed-sulaimon-melo-trimblejterps241439230570.jpg&w=480

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On Fanatics, new UA Wisconsin merchandise has small white "slants" in the traditional red-white-red striping pattern, effectively creating an arrow.  One shirt says "Forever Forward".  Wonder if the stripes on the uniforms will include this small change.

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Wisconsin_Badgers_Mens/Wisconsin_Badgers_Under_Armour_2016_On-Field_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_-_White

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Wisconsin_Badgers_Mens/Wisconsin_Badgers_Under_Armour_2016_On-Field_Tech_Performance_T-Shirt_-_Red

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived