What will Under Armour do at Wisconsin?

PackerBadger

29 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I like the font. I think that teams should strive to have relatively unique number fonts, or at the very least, something that doesn't come out of a catalog or isn't straight standard block. (Unpopular opinion, I know.)

I completely agree. A unique (and good looking font) can add some flare to rather simple uniforms. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You're gonna miss me when I'm gone."

--Block Number Font

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

"You're gonna miss me when I'm gone."

--Block Number Font

I already miss it, and even worse, this all but guarantees the crappy font they've used for basketball isn't going away either.

19 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

I already miss it, and even worse, this all but guarantees the crappy font they've used for basketball isn't going away either.

The font reeks of a generic option that any high school can select to wear. It also looks especially bad/cheap without an outline.

18 hours ago, guest23 said:

The font reeks of a generic option that any high school can select to wear. It also looks especially bad/cheap without an outline.

It also looks like Under Armour changed minor aspects of the font (for the worse, in my opinion).

These are the previous Badger Bold numbers:

NCAA-Wisconsin-Badger-Bold0.png

This is the front of the new Wisconsin jersey.  Notice that the 6 is narrower and also loses the corner at the upper right.

cn7gkutuaaavspp.jpg

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

19 hours ago, doctorpeligro said:

It also looks like Under Armour changed minor aspects of the font (for the worse, in my opinion).

This is the front of the new Wisconsin jersey.  Notice that the 6 is narrower and also loses the corner at the upper right.

cn7gkutuaaavspp.jpg

I wouldn't say I've been looking 'forward' to this font on a football jersey.  But I've been expecting them to to do this for a while now.  I'm tired of all the Nebraska folks saying Wisconsin should change, so hopefully this will quiet that a little at least.     

I'm more concerned about the W UA and I'm guessing the B10 logo that will go on the right side.  That's gonna be clustered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 7:57 AM, dbofox said:

I'm more concerned about the W UA and I'm guessing the B10 logo that will go on the right side.  That's gonna be clustered.

I've always wondered why Under Armour couldn't move the "UA" logo and conference logos to the shoulder panels to create a less cluttered look. Here's a rough mockup:

UA_maryland-template_vs-michigan.jpg

UA_maryland-template_vs-michigan-EDITED.jpg

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

On 7/23/2016 at 2:55 PM, doctorpeligro said:

cn7gkutuaaavspp.jpg

Your "previous Badger Bold" numbers are regular Aachen Bold.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Small chest wordmarks are ok and small collar logos are ok.. Small chest logos just add clutter and look awkward.. Wisconsin is a "no wordmark" team.. Putting a logo where the wordmark would go is just as bad as putting a wordmark there.. A small collar logo like Clemson would be fine, but I don't like the chest W at all.. Not to mention the clutter with the B1G logo and UA logo.. Should've stayed blank or gone small collar logo..

Also should've kept the tv numbers on the sleeves with the stripes smaller and at the base of the sleeve.. Shoulder numbers are for Nebraska

• 5 weeks later...

After watching the first football game, I think the new number font is a downgrade not just because of my love for block numbers, but because some of the tall/narrow numbers (3 vs. 8 vs. 6. vs. 9) were a bit more difficult to distinguish on TV.  Of course that's also a function of how tight all uniforms are now...QB Bart Houston is #13, but the middle of the numbers on the front of his jersey was folded and it was not usually obvious.  I think for many players, though, the old block numbers would have worked a bit better.

Wisconsin Men's Hockey's facebook page just teased about the uniforms possibly being unveiled today.  But there's not really a lot to unveil.  The profile photo shows the diagonal "WISCONSIN" in the Under Armor font.  The tease shows the stupid laces.  I'd guess the stripes on the jerseys won't change and the NOBs and numbers will look roughly like the football team's.  I suppose they could surprise us with a "W" shoulder patch or something.  My dreams of replicating the superfluous double-outlining of the 1990s/2000s (which I LOVED) are shattered. 

https://www.facebook.com/wisconsinmenshockey/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Hockey jerseys are in.  Bigger change than I anticipated.  Looks like UW and UA are going all in with "Forward."  I actually think the type looks pretty good, but the two stripes are going to take some getting used to.  It's messing with tradition (at least to uni geeks like me) more than I thought it would.  The red sleeves look out of place on the white jersey.

https://www.facebook.com/wisconsinmenshockey/posts/1114538248583865

POTD (Shared)

Archived