Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

Sorry if this has been posted before.  The topic of NHL expansion came up the other night, and it sounds like a vote for a Las Vegas team is on the table for June 22.  Leading up to that, ESPN posted this article on possible nicknames and logos.

In my opinion, Flamingos would be amazing!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12551758/nhl-here-our-suggested-las-vegas-expansion-team-nicknames

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any team nickname with a modifier / descriptor is inherently minor league.  "Black Knights" would be silly.  The only thing sillier would be something like "Ice Knights".

The nickname "Knights" doesn't get a lot of love, I assume mostly because it's one of those "generic"-sounding names, but I think that it's fine for a major-league team.  I don't think the NHL needs any more black teams, and Knights kidn of lends itself to a dark color pallet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why does everyone insist on hit-you-over-the-head obviousness when coming up with a reference? You don't have to make it glaringly obvious, in fact, that's when things start to go downhill, because it's too much.

What's wrong with the Las Vegas Rats? Even the look of the name has a nice symmetry. You put all the imagery of the Rat Pack and gangsters and Las Vegas scum...Rats, it's a name that sounds dirty, feels grimy, and there's no shortage of people afraid of them. They can do real damage. It's something you could build on without being completely ridiculous.

I think it's the exact opposite of the feel that Knights brings about...and I kinda like it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

15 minutes ago, hockey week said:

Why does everyone insist on hit-you-over-the-head obviousness when coming up with a reference? You don't have to make it glaringly obvious, in fact, that's when things start to go downhill, because it's too much.

What's wrong with the Las Vegas Rats? Even the look of the name has a nice symmetry. You put all the imagery of the Rat Pack and gangsters and Las Vegas scum...Rats, it's a name that sounds dirty, feels grimy, and there's no shortage of people afraid of them. They can do real damage. It's something you could build on without being completely ridiculous.

I think it's the exact opposite of the feel that Knights brings about...and I kinda like it.

But even Knights (and just Knights) has a nice, subtle play on it (Get it? Las Vegas nights?) for the city's night life. IIRC I remember Knights as a suggestion around these parts for the Nets when they moved to Brooklyn. Anyways, I couldn't agree more with Hockey Week regarding specificity--we don't need to be bludgeoned with something like Rat Pack when Rats would do just fine.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

1 hour ago, DustDevil61 said:

But even Knights (and just Knights) has a nice, subtle play on it (Get it? Las Vegas nights?) for the city's night life. IIRC I remember Knights as a suggestion around these parts for the Nets when they moved to Brooklyn. Anyways, I couldn't agree more with Hockey Week regarding specificity--we don't need to be bludgeoned with something like Rat Pack when Rats would do just fine.

I agree. Simply use the name "Knights" and make black the primary color and we'll all understand they are black nights.  You are also right about the word play.  Las Vegas Knights works.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

3 hours ago, Gates55 said:

High Rollers sounds good.

... for a semi-pro or amateur girls team in some league that nobody cares about.  

Hell, just name them the "Las Vegas 5-10 no-limit players" if an obvious reference is needed.  I think everyone gets it - people gamble in Las Vegas.  

You can't have a nickname that's too obscure, but not one that's (as somoene else said) "hit you over the head obvious" either.  There's a middle ground somewhere.  So far, "Knights" is the only suggestion I've heard that falls in to that area.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

looks like every south-west based "create-a-team" logo.  Too cartoony, and way too thick stroke.  The one on the right is particularly bad - look at that forehead and "nose".  

When I used to do created teams in sports games back in the day (late 90s/early2000s) I always made a team called the Las Vegas Scorpions.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

11 hours ago, ShinyHubCaps said:

Sorry if this has been posted before.  The topic of NHL expansion came up the other night, and it sounds like a vote for a Las Vegas team is on the table for June 22.  Leading up to that, ESPN posted this article on possible nicknames and logos.

In my opinion, Flamingos would be amazing!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12551758/nhl-here-our-suggested-las-vegas-expansion-team-nicknames

The vote is a foregone conclusion. Has already been reported/rumored to be a done deal, and BOG is in favor of LV expansion. This news is about a week old.

7 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

OutlawsCjCa1BbUUAAlNOK.jpg(Brooks Bandits)

Las Vegas Black Knights is the widely rumored name of franchise. And below is what is believed to be the logo. maxresdefault.jpg

The Black Knights name has been brought up multiple times since last September regarding speculation surrounding Las Vegas expansion team identity. One source saying the name is highly preferred by team owner.

Oh and, we'll likely know the official identity of the expansion team by the NHL Draft next week.

Las Vegas is such a ridiculous over the top place that I kind of think the name and logo need to be as well. That doesn't mean I will like it (and indeed I don't really like Las Vegas the city) but it seems appropriate.

7 hours ago, Luke_Groundrunner said:

Las Vegas Black Knights is the widely rumored name of franchise. And below is what is believed to be the logo. maxresdefault.jpg

The Black Knights name has been brought up multiple times since last September regarding speculation surrounding Las Vegas expansion team identity. One source saying the name is highly preferred by team owner.

Oh and, we'll likely know the official identity of the expansion team by the NHL Draft next week.

Who ever said that that was the logo?

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Archived