Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

On 1/7/2017 at 8:32 PM, Thaumatrope said:

That's a great question. 

Many years ago I remember reading an article talking about how the NHL is the RC Cola of professional sports. The gist was that the NHL represents a niche sport with substantial limits as to how big the sport can grow, but that the fans it does have are very passionate and loyal. However, rather than embracing it's cult status the NHL has tried desperately to compete with the NFL and NBA (Coke and Pepsi) only to fall short time and again. These challenges are only exacerbated on the global level. 

The point being that even the most successful and popular NHL teams will probably only have a fringe following in all but a handful of countries.

I remember that article and because of it, my friend and I went out of our way to buy RC cola whenever we could...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Quick SparkyChewBarky, still time to challenge them ripping off your logo ideas :)  Would be a shame if someone tipped off the examining lawyer to their thievery...

TM ATTORNEY JOHNSON, DANYTHE ELIZA

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4808:a0iug2.2.1

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn87247219&docId=PST20170307075941#docIndex=0&page=1

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87247219&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Tell me they didn't rip you off, they started by infringing on names, colors, creeds even the damn minor logos, feel for ya Sparky, you are a master and they stole it.

black%2520knights-3_1.jpg

If I had to guess they stole more ideas off other people and want to avoid the issue.

Bottom line, yes I hate the name, most of us in LV do, no denying it. What really erked us is his lack of respect for our city name and opinion, he literally picked the least liked name, stole it, colors, creed, etc.

It makes me so sad they even stole Sparkys ideas.

You think the jersey will be original LOL

On 3/7/2017 at 7:43 PM, VegasBound said:

Tell me they didn't rip you off, they started by infringing on names, colors, creeds even the damn minor logos, feel for ya Sparky, you are a master and they stole it.

Names and colors? He based the identity, both name and colors, off rumors about the team. 

3 hours ago, VegasBound said:

Almost forgot about these logo's Sparky did as well, cut this man a check Foley!

stars-02.jpg

So you're at the point of editing his logo to make it look similar to Vegas' logo? Really?

Making a logo influenced by the most common symbol of Las Vegas and hockey-ifying it isn't stealing his work. Don't you think they already had designs in mind for what they wanted to do at the time of the creation of Sparky's work?

There's no argument that they stole Sparky's design, none of it. At most, they were influenced by it and that has no legal standing.

Now please stop, for all our sakes.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Honestly didn't realize I posted those pics, my mistake, will edit. Was meaning to show there's vs Sparky's. If anything you just proved my point, I confused Sparky's design with "there's".

No doubt the idea/concept is Sparky's, none. I am shocked a member of this forum especially would be so bold to state influence was all it was lol

13 minutes ago, VegasBound said:

Honestly didn't realize I posted those pics, my mistake, will edit. Was meaning to show there's vs Sparky's. If anything you just proved my point, I confused Sparky's design with "there's".

No doubt the idea/concept is Sparky's, none. I am shocked a member of this forum especially would be so bold to state influence was all it was lol

What? That's not at all what you did. You had the team's logo and "Sparky's" logo. "Sparky's" logo was clearly edited to make it appear way more similar to the team's logo.

The only thing say about that second bit is that common sense goes a long way.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Sparky's logo was not to my knowledge edited to look more like the teams, in fact his came first. Sparky's logo was his own and I will leave that for him to chime in on.

My point was simply to show what each looked like "side by side" unedited, I would never think of it nor have anything to gain from that nor do I believe Sparky ever would. Perhaps you feel it was edited because it was so similar which again proves the point on how similar they are.

I have plenty of common sense, too much to fall for "it was just influence". If that's the case is the teams name just influence as well? Colors? Army creed to fight etc? Foley wanting them to parachute? In fact they dropped T-shirts with little parachutes on them from the sky that night at the name reveal!!!! I could go on but if you read back far enough it is clear the man doesn't have an original bone in his body. Not to mention he started the whole process saying he wanted to copy his old school.

The man is not defendable.....sorry and sincerely, goodnight.

A logo being posted on a message board does not mean that it was designed first.  There's a little thing called the trademark application process to go through. There's also a reason there were rumors swirling around for weeks/months.

This whole crusade against Foley ends NOW.

VmWIn6B.png

Who really cares, this whole team is a joke and provides zero benefit whatsoever to the league.

You could hold maybe 20 games there using whatever teams you want and it would actually get attendance.

Vegas will dilute the talent pool in the league further. You got drug problems with a couple of the players in LA? Imagine them living in Vegas or even just the opposing teams coming to visit. It's a unmitigated disaster waiting to happen. Nobody wants this team, nobody will care about this team, and the league will be stuck with another black hole to throw money into.

They lied about trademark issues.

They made a ridiculous deal out of unveiling a logo.

The owner has no idea how to run a team and has not enough passion.

Give it five years tops and you'll realize I was right.

Solaris, it was like you were reading my mind. Did anyone ever consider Vegas when expansion was discussed? If so, I sure as hell don't remember. You mean you mean to tell me any of the Canadian places discussed i.e Hamilton , Quebec or anyone else north of the the border wouldn't have been a better choice! As far as the US, KC and Seattle seem far more attractive than Vegas but as wildwing64 made reference to.....it's all about the money.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:22 PM, Ice_Cap said:

"YOUR Vegas Golden Knights!"

*Vegas Uniform Placeholders*

I said, THE VEGAS! UNIFORM! PLACEHOLDERS!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived