Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

The Nordiques logo was dated and stupid, and about to be 86'ed by the club had they not packed up and moved to Denver.  All it has is some misplaced sense of nostalgia. They were a team that was basically terrible for most of it's NHL existence. 

If QC does come back I would hope they'd be smart enough to have an updated look  that doesn't at all resemble a 70's igloo with stick....

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

The Nordiques logo was dated and stupid, and about to be 86'ed by the club had they not packed up and moved to Denver.  All it has is some misplaced sense of nostalgia. They were a team that was basically terrible for most of it's NHL existence. 

If QC does come back I would hope they'd be smart enough to have an updated look  that doesn't at all resemble a 70's igloo with stick....

I feel like its an unpopular opinion (especially in QC hockey circles) but I 100% agree. My greatest hope for when QC gets a team (and based on the number of struggling NHL teams I really do believe its a matter of when not if) is that they'll take a page from the Jets and come up with new branding for the Nordiques. My greatest fear is that since the prospective ownership has been so adamant about the team being the Nordiques that they'll just recycle their identity verbatim (minus a few unnecessary uniform tweaks to justify people buying the new jerseys rather than dusting off their old ones). At least with Winnipeg 2.0 TrueNorth was hesitant to bring back the Jets at first which I believe gave them the necessary distance to make some much needed changes to the identity.

If the NHL ever allows the Nordiques to return, I beg that they return the original identity. It was a classic, and one of my personal favorites. Maybe they can have some updated secondary logos, but the N igloo needs to make a comeback. There's nothin wrong with nostalgia, and keeping or returning to a club's classic/historic look. We're seeing teams in all sports return to thier classic looks, or at least updated looks with a splash of the past. 

3 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

I feel like its an unpopular opinion (especially in QC hockey circles) but I 100% agree. My greatest hope for when QC gets a team (and based on the number of struggling NHL teams I really do believe its a matter of when not if) is that they'll take a page from the Jets and come up with new branding for the Nordiques. My greatest fear is that since the prospective ownership has been so adamant about the team being the Nordiques that they'll just recycle their identity verbatim (minus a few unnecessary uniform tweaks to justify people buying the new jerseys rather than dusting off their old ones). At least with Winnipeg 2.0 TrueNorth was hesitant to bring back the Jets at first which I believe gave them the necessary distance to make some much needed changes to the identity.

The igloo, created by a 17 year boy, in a design contest 1972..

Not an easy task to explain the matter.

Majority of locals, I'd say, want it back, in fact, want the 1995 unis back.

The igloo does reminds of terribles seasons, but also, greatest seasons, as well the Stastny's era, the fantastic battle against Montreal, I mean, the 29 pts Nords played full crowd 1989, I was there.

Go figure? Theres so many people outside Canada who wants it back so bad, I'd say Qcor would do a good move taking it back as it was.

Ask many Jets fan what they'd prefer? I think majority wanted the great Jets roundel back.

My bet is a new uniform with the exact same logo.

I honestly think they were on to something with the use of the husky/malamute/wolf whatever it was in 1996 when they were going to make the switch.  Just not the "art deco," teal-infused version they came up with.  A canine identity would be a solid and unique ID in the NHL if done right. 

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

I honestly think they were on to something with the use of the husky/malamute/wolf whatever it was in 1996 when they were going to make the switch.  Just not the "art deco," teal-infused version they came up with.  A canine identity would be a solid and unique ID in the NHL if done right. 

So technically if the Yotes were to move north of the border.....

I think the return of the igloo as the primary would be inevitable for the Nords 2.0, at least at first. I can see them playing with some alternate logos after a few seasons that may become popular enough to supplant the old look.

Speaking of the never used Wolf logo, it was too 90s, and I'm sure the Nordiques would have moved away from it eventually and returned to the igloo or come up with an updated logo. All the major leagues have, or are in the process, of getting rid of most of the 90s looks. I guess this could be it's own thread, but the trend is returning to the retro or faux-retro looks, and a return to QC could go straight back to the classic look.

Speaking of the never used Wolf logo, it was too 90s, and I'm sure the Nordiques would have moved away from it eventually and returned to the igloo or come up with an updated logo. All the major leagues have, or are in the process, of getting rid of most of the 90s looks. I guess this could be it's own thread, but the trend is returning to the retro or faux-retro looks, and a return to QC could go straight back to the classic look.

The first thing I see is a hockey stick and what I what assume is just an abstract letter "N". I couldn't even tell if it was an igloo or not. That alone makes me think of it as a bad logo.

3 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The first thing I see is a hockey stick and what I what assume is just an abstract letter "N". I couldn't even tell if it was an igloo or not. That alone makes me think of it as a bad logo.

I think the N is the prominent element in the design. The igloo is more or less a hidden feature that simply plays into the meaning or motif. 

On 3/15/2017 at 3:38 PM, BrianLion said:

Whereas Jets fans were receptive to a design change or even a name change, the Jets always being a little on the generic side, Nordiques fans seem to want to pick up right where they left off. It's an unusual design. It's an unusual place. I say err on the side of popular demand here.

p.s.: The Nordiques were pretty good in the '80s; their reputation as a "terrible" team is based on their nadir of consecutive #1 overall picks, the ignominy of the Lindros situation, and the fact that they moved. Considering the factors they had working against them -- not even the Quebec City market so much as the adversarial relationship with Molson and therefore the CBC, not to mention the tough Adams Division playoffs of the '80s -- they did all right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Whereas Jets fans were receptive to a design change or even a name change, the Jets always being a little on the generic side, Nordiques fans seem to want to pick up right where they left off. It's an unusual design. It's an unusual place. I say err on the side of popular demand here.

More than just "generic", the old Jets logos were all terrible.  Overly-busy and cluttered, wouldn't translate to modern applications or modern design sensibilities. 

The old Nordiques igloo logo certainly isn't perfect, but it could serve as the basis of a solid modern identity.  The Jets never had anything that would qualify. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

More than just "generic", the old Jets logos were all terrible.  Overly-busy and cluttered, wouldn't translate to modern applications or modern design sensibilities. 

The old Nordiques igloo logo certainly isn't perfect, but it could serve as the basis of a solid modern identity.  The Jets never had anything that would qualify. 

With respect Goth and other friends here,  I think your making a analysis based only on graphics or the strick look of a logo.

My approach on the Nords 2.0 and Jets 2.0 is not solely based on graphics impression, its widen to history, the fact theres been a team sporting the same name 10 or 20 years ago, and that you cannot understand what both Winnipeg and Qc city memories or feelings are.

Of course, a entirely new franchise, say a new team in Portland WA, would not chose a 70's graphic era logo. It would make non sense

Why did the new NFL Browns used the exact same names, colors, unis then the previous one? To link the new edition to the old.

Winnipeg new team was to ne name Manitoba Polar Bears rumours said for long (which did not made consensus) and they finally made the right move, Winnipeg Jets of course.

I think the original roundel would've been a great logo, event on the current unis they chose, which is very 70 80.

Anyways, my 2 cents, my opinion does not rely only on graphic, its based on a balanced mix of estetic and history.

Interesting discussion like always, and sorry if a bit out of topic.

No worries, this is a great conversation.

From my outsider's perspective, it seemed clear that the fans in Winnipeg always wanted the "Jets" name.  But there was never a really strong logo in that old club's history, so a new logo made sense.  All of the old logos were too complex, too reliant on text, and don't work as avatars or other digital applications.

The Nordiques, on the other hand, do have a logo that works in a contemporary context.  The igloo reads very clearly even at tiny sizes.

30px-Quebec_Nordiques_Logo.svg.png

That logo works as well as a Twitter avatar or phone icon as it does on the front of a sweater.  Perhaps the logo could be improved, or updated.  But it's a great start.  The Jets didn't have that advantage, which is why I would expect a return of the Nordiques to play out in a very different manner.

I have a vision of the eventual Nords 2.0 wearing a stylized Fleur de lis logo as a primary crest and an updated igloo shoulder logo.

I'd probably make both logos primarily white on the blue jersey as well, with red outlines. The white would really hammer home the igloo imagery.

But that's just me, and probably a discussion for a different thread.

Archived