Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

On 3/15/2017 at 10:36 AM, Yippy said:

I know I'm not the only person here who would prefer this returning over whatever that amounts to

joe-sakic.jpg

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Nordiques, on the other hand, do have a logo that works in a contemporary context.  The igloo reads very clearly even at tiny sizes.

30px-Quebec_Nordiques_Logo.svg.png

Wow. Igloo. I always just assumed it was some sort of animal. Now I see it! Igloo!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I have a vision of the eventual Nords 2.0 wearing a stylized Fleur de lis logo as a primary crest and an updated igloo shoulder logo.

I'd probably make both logos primarily white on the blue jersey as well, with red outlines. The white would really hammer home the igloo imagery.

But that's just me, and probably a discussion for a different thread.

Probably, but I think you're on to something there.  Would love to see your concept.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No worries, this is a great conversation.

From my outsider's perspective, it seemed clear that the fans in Winnipeg always wanted the "Jets" name.  But there was never a really strong logo in that old club's history, so a new logo made sense.  All of the old logos were too complex, too reliant on text, and don't work as avatars or other digital applications.

The Nordiques, on the other hand, do have a logo that works in a contemporary context.  The igloo reads very clearly even at tiny sizes.

30px-Quebec_Nordiques_Logo.svg.png

That logo works as well as a Twitter avatar or phone icon as it does on the front of a sweater.  Perhaps the logo could be improved, or updated.  But it's a great start.  The Jets didn't have that advantage, which is why I would expect a return of the Nordiques to play out in a very different manner.

80s-Logo-Home.jpg

90s-Logo.gif

1200px-Nordiques_de_Québec.svg.png

Top been 1970,80

Second 1990 2000,s

Last, 95's Nords

You know what Goth? I think you're right. Good shot.

1.  They could have / should have updated the original Jets logo to include just the word "JETS", but modern and italicized without the J being so tall (or maybe with, IDK), and a fighter jet like from the current logo in the circle.  Drop the WINNIPEG from the bottom because it looks hokey and Oilersish.  There's really no room for a maple leaf, so I'm not sure how we'd know that the team is from Canada, but can't jam too many things in there.

2.  I like the FDL as the crest for the Nouveau Nords, with igloo on shoulder.  I loved their FDL trim on the hem - I thought it was very unique - I'd hate to lose that, but too many FDLs would be too many FDLs.  I like white with red outline and then a thin white outline on the blue sweater (I hate red and blue touching), and then blue with white and red on the white sweater.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

SyPhi nailed the Winnipeg Jets update years before purchasing the Atlanta Thrashers was a gleam in TNSE's eyes:

jets.jpg

I don't think the fleur-de-lis works as a primary, partly because of the New Orleans Saints, and partly because putting the fleur-de-lis front and center is almost generically Quebec. It's better suited in a supporting role.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I like the FDL as the crest for the Nouveau Nords, with igloo on shoulder.  I loved their FDL trim on the hem - I thought it was very unique - I'd hate to lose that, but too many FDLs would be too many FDLs.  I like white with red outline and then a thin white outline on the blue sweater (I hate red and blue touching), and then blue with white and red on the white sweater.

I agree which each point you make. Red and blue touching muddies it up in my opinion. The Nordiques fleur de lis was unique in design, too. It definitely is much different than that of the Saints. It would be a perfect crest and the igloo would be a perfect shoulder patch. This way you are still holding onto the nostalgia of the Nords 1.0.

The problem I got with using the FDL as front logo on jerseys is its sort of, too generic, or too general.

In Canada, its the symbol of french canadians, more a national symbol then a hockey team logo. Its the symbol of the Quebec government. It would be Like, the Capitals wearing only a big white star on a blue jersey at home. Its too simple or not enough distinctive.

I dont know, for me, their places is on the shoulders. 

35 minutes ago, bleuet said:

The problem I got with using the FDL as front logo on jerseys is its sort of, too generic, or too general.

In Canada, its the symbol of french canadians, more a national symbol then a hockey team logo. Its the symbol of the Quebec government. It would be Like, the Capitals wearing only a big white star on a blue jersey at home. Its too simple or not enough distinctive.

The Dallas Cowboys beg to differ.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, bleuet said:

that's why i said a stylized fleur... i wouldn't just slap the fleur from the flag and say "there's an NHL team's logo."

two NHL teams feature an NHL logo that is primarily a star, as you mention. that's dallas and columbus. they are stylized stars... and as the packer backer above me points out, a star that looks ripped from the american flag has served as the primary logo of one of the most iconic NFL teams for over 50 years now.

the toronto maple leafs went decades using a maple leaf that looked almost exactly like that one in the canadian flag, which is also "more a national symbol than a hockey team logo," as well.

to me, it is the best way to possibly bring back the aesthetics of the original nordiques without resorting featuring an abstract, dated, and ugly logo.

that said, i LOVE the igloo, and the original uniforms... but every non hockey fan that has seen me wear a nordiques jersey around dallas has mentioned just how ridiculously ugly the logo and jersey design look. it has its place in history, and as such, can be featured as an alternate logo... but just because it has a place in history doesn't mean it should be prominent in the future.

If I'm being absurdly ridiculous please let me know, but while mindlessly browsing graphic art on Google images I stumbled across this illustration by Michael Byers which was made for a Sportsnet Magazine article on the Vegas Golden Knights:

image.jpeg

Now, I could be way off, but is it completely out of the question that these might be an accurate depiction of what the Knights inaugural jerseys will look like? Albeit, this is a safe guess in terms of design, but it seems to be along the lines of what most realistic predictions have Vegas sporting. The level of detail the artist uses on the player's uniform makes it feel like a little more than just artistic liberty, with the pant stripes, glove design, and thin red number outline being things that alludes the artist could know a little more than we do.

I apologize if I just zapped away 30 seconds of your life on complete rambling nonsense but IS this totally impossible?

(Probably, yeah, but still).

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

3 hours ago, Bruins said:

If I'm being absurdly ridiculous please let me know, but while mindlessly browsing graphic art on Google images I stumbled across this illustration by Michael Byers which was made for a Sportsnet Magazine article on the Vegas Golden Knights:

image.jpeg

Now, I could be way off, but is it completely out of the question that these might be an accurate depiction of what the Knights inaugural jerseys will look like? Albeit, this is a safe guess in terms of design, but it seems to be along the lines of what most realistic predictions have Vegas sporting. The level of detail the artist uses on the player's uniform makes it feel like a little more than just artistic liberty, with the pant stripes, glove design, and thin red number outline being things that alludes the artist could know a little more than we do.

I apologize if I just zapped away 30 seconds of your life on complete rambling nonsense but IS this totally impossible?

I think your onto something here- this is either a artist who caught a glimpse or someone whose been told what to expect. 

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

i think we may be reading too much into it for a few reasons.

i see a gold jersey, a black/charcoal jersey, AND a white jersey. that is 3 different sweaters, and we know for a fact that each team is only getting a home and a road next year.

also, one of the gold jerseys has white numbers, while others have black... and it is also safe to assume that the white jersey won't have a black helmet, but that could just be an artistic mistake that could be made by anyone while looking at actual uniforms used by teams that are playing this season.

if those jerseys are the general direction the team is going, i don't hate it. going with a koho-era preds style gold sweater color with a really weird choice, if they do that. i think everyone assumes it'll be dark grey.

14 hours ago, ColeJ said:

the toronto maple leafs went decades using a maple leaf that looked almost exactly like that one in the canadian flag, which is also "more a national symbol than a hockey team logo," as well.

The Ballard leaf was actually pretty distinct from the leaf on the flag. 

The Maple Leafs have only ever had one logo specifically styled after the national flag, and that was introduced to celebrate Canada's centennial. It was dropped in favour of the Ballard version three years later. 

7 hours ago, tubby34 said:

I think your onto something here- this is either a artist who caught a glimpse or someone whose been told what to expect. 

4 hours ago, ColeJ said:

i think we may be reading too much into it for a few reasons.

i see a gold jersey, a black/charcoal jersey, AND a white jersey. that is 3 different sweaters, and we know for a fact that each team is only getting a home and a road next year.

also, one of the gold jerseys has white numbers, while others have black... and it is also safe to assume that the white jersey won't have a black helmet, but that could just be an artistic mistake that could be made by anyone while looking at actual uniforms used by teams that are playing this season.

if those jerseys are the general direction the team is going, i don't hate it. going with a koho-era preds style gold sweater color with a really weird choice, if they do that. i think everyone assumes it'll be dark grey.

Yeah, it really could go either way. Just addressing your points ColeJ, which are pretty solid, either one of the colored sweaters could just be artistic liberty of recoloring whatever the home duds will look like, or possibly an alternate chalked up for 2019. And the gold jerseys shoulder patch is also just two toned so I think that's just a distance issue.

There just seems to be something here.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

17 hours ago, ColeJ said:

but every non hockey fan that has seen me wear a nordiques jersey around dallas has mentioned just how ridiculously ugly the logo and jersey design look.

Well, good thing their primary market isn't non-hockey fans in the South, I guess.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 hours ago, Bruins said:

image.jpeg

This league and its pseudo marketing crew would never let this happen before the official unveil.

Not sure we should make any conclusions.

At the same time, its very NHL: fresh expansion franchise, modern logo on a old style jersey.

Archived