Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2016 at 5:02 PM, Ice_Cap said:

People said the same thing about Winnipeg.

Apples and oranges.  Winnipeg had a lot of things going for it that QC does not. Mainly, being located in the West, having an ownership group that wasn't headed by someone  involved in trying to secede from Canada, and the exchange rate was a lot better in 2011 then it is now. 

Hey, Seattle resident here to clear some things up.

Our mayor is putting out a request for proposal for Key Arena in January and AEG and a group led by Tim Leiweke are both expected to make them. So we now have not one, but possibly as many as three different arena proposals. On top of that, Hansen has agreed to rip up the MOU between him and the city and privately finance his arena so if that were to happen, the whole "NBA first" thing would no longer be a road block. He would still need a street vacation though and is still battling the Port of Seattle over the location.

On 2016-10-31 at 10:52 AM, BrianLion said:

Apples and oranges.  Winnipeg had a lot of things going for it that QC does not. Mainly, being located in the West, having an ownership group that wasn't headed by someone  involved in trying to secede from Canada, and the exchange rate was a lot better in 2011 then it is now. 

Located in the west was such a selling point they had them playing in the same division as Florida and Carolina for two years!

As for the exchange rate...it's rebounded. It's not as strong as it was in 2011, but guess what? These things fluctuate. People were saying no team would ever move to Winnipeg when the exchange rate was weak in the late 90s/early 2000s too.

And as for the Quebec ownership group getting in bed with the PQ? 75% of Quebec's gotten in bed with the PQ at one point or another. The last referendum to separate lost by a margin of 50.58% to 49.42%. If they decided they were never going to do business with people in Quebec who at one point associated themselves with the Separatist movement? They'd never get anything done there, and they'd never have put Patrick Roy in the Hall of Fame.

Besides the NHL doesn't care. The Lightning were owned by the G-ddamned Japanese mafia. The Islanders were owned by that one guy who didn't actually have any money. Quebec Separatists? That's a step up for this group.

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That only seems logical.   The Seattle CSA is the 13th largest in the country, and aside from Atlanta the largest not to have an NHL team.  I'm sure they're drooling at the prospect of carving off a tiny chunk of that market.

Houston (9th) is actually the largest CSA without an NHL team and have held this dubious distinction for quite some time. They have a new arena that fits a regulation size rink but haven't shown any interest outside of nearly moving the Oilers in the late 90's.

IMO Seattle's hopes may hinge on if Tim Leiweke can renovate Seattle Center as Hansen seems more focused on a Sonics reboot first. Leiweke/AEG may be more open minded on entertaining the NHL first if they came knocking first. They also can likely privately finance their own project at Seattle Center, which recently prompted Hansen to up the ante and offer to completely privately finance his arena plans at SoDo and infrastructure improvements (to stave off opposition from the port) in exchange for street abandonment through the site.

Last I've heard was that AECOM (Golden 1 Center architect) was doing a study for AEG's Seattle Center renovation. Should be interesting to see what designs & figures result from this. 

NYCdog.png

On October 28, 2016 at 5:54 PM, FGM13 said:

You've gotta be kidding me.

That actually makes a lot of sense. They get to find out if a player will sign there before picking them in the draft and if they do indeed sign someone from a team, that player will count as the one lost and won't lose another in the draft. In no way a sign of desperation by the league when viewed through the lense of how free agency plays out. 

On 10/27/2016 at 11:11 AM, youcan'tseeme said:

I feel like since LA has renounced purple, why don't these (insert) Knights run with a very dark purple as a opposed to black? Won't make a massive difference but would be a nice differential. 

I was suggesting this earlier, as well. And isn't the Maloof family (which is co-owning Vegas with Foley) of Sacramento Kings fame? They wore purple...That's enough of a tie-in for me. :)

16 hours ago, NYCdog said:

IMO Seattle's hopes may hinge on if Tim Leiweke can renovate Seattle Center as Hansen seems more focused on a Sonics reboot first. Leiweke/AEG may be more open minded on entertaining the NHL first if they came knocking first. They also can likely privately finance their own project at Seattle Center, which recently prompted Hansen to up the ante and offer to completely privately finance his arena plans at SoDo and infrastructure improvements (to stave off opposition from the port) in exchange for street abandonment through the site.

The problem is study after study has confirmed that the footprint doesn't exist at Seattle Center. The best case would be 15,000 seats for hockey which is way below what would be needed. Add to it that traffic in that area is substantially more snarled than back when the Sonics played there and I just don't see how it's a realistic option. Bummer since I live much closer to Seattle Center but the SoDo option of Hansen's is by far the best option.

With all the talk of which team is the one to go to Quebec City, including those speculating on the impending doom of the Silver/Desert/Golden Knights before they've ever played a game, it's quite humorously ironic that Ottawa is never mentioned as a possibility despite the fact that their attendance in recent years has been in the toilet and they've been hemorrhaging money since 2003.. I suppose they're above such criticism though because they're in a city that is north of the border and snows..

Texas.gif

On 10/31/2016 at 0:46 PM, Gothamite said:

That only seems logical.   The Seattle CSA is the 13th largest in the country, and aside from Atlanta the largest not to have an NHL team.  I'm sure they're drooling at the prospect of carving off a tiny chunk of that market.

Emphasis on tiny.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

The problem is study after study has confirmed that the footprint doesn't exist at Seattle Center. The best case would be 15,000 seats for hockey which is way below what would be needed. Add to it that traffic in that area is substantially more snarled than back when the Sonics played there and I just don't see how it's a realistic option. Bummer since I live much closer to Seattle Center but the SoDo option of Hansen's is by far the best option.

15,000 might actually give you full houses for hockey though...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They already stripped down the Key Arena down to its bones and rebuilt it once before and the Sonics still left.  At this point, I would say new building or nothing.  Now that Hansen's group no longer needs public money, this should be a no brainer.  While Hansen may not want anything to do with a NHL team, that Victor Coleman guy might still be interested.

1 hour ago, Oso said:

With all the talk of which team is the one to go to Quebec City, including those speculating on the impending doom of the Silver/Desert/Golden Knights before they've ever played a game, it's quite humorously ironic that Ottawa is never mentioned as a possibility despite the fact that their attendance in recent years has been in the toilet and they've been hemorrhaging money since 2003.. I suppose they're above such criticism though because they're in a city that is north of the border and snows..

Ottawa? 18084 last season, 18246 the year before, 18108 the other year. That is down the toilet? They drew better than 10-15 American teams each of the last three seasons. They'll probably build Foley a goddamn statue if he can manage such numbers on a regular basis...

Archived